Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Apr 21, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
We live in a shoebox compared to some in West London near Mickey House but he’s in the posher area apparently. In a couple of years the mortgage will be paid and we can move to a better area and might even head north. I think I will miss living in the Ghetto as my kids call it!
Mine’s a size 12 shoebox and costs double, but I have no choice for now Don’t get me wrong, we live in a nice area compared to some, but have to put up with some rubbish things to live here (main road, buses etc). I look forward to moving away but know I will definitely miss livin* here too. The convenience is unrivalled.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
What's a butter pie? This thread has actually gone educational now.
A central Lancashire delicacy. Used to be known as a Friday Pie (no meat).
Greenhalgh Bakeries do the best, lovely pastry, potatoes, onion cooked in Butter. Some have it on a barmcake. (Probably Wiganers 🤣 ) we have them for dinner on Tues and Friday. Best before the winter Football with some mushy peas and gravy washed down with Guinness.
Hungry now, "check the fridge our Peg" might have one for me tea.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
Mine’s a size 12 shoebox and costs double, but I have no choice for now Don’t get me wrong, we live in a nice area compared to some, but have to put up with some rubbish things to live here (main road, buses etc). I look forward to moving away but know I will definitely miss livin* here too. The convenience is unrivalled.
I grew up here and it was lovely as a kid, it’s gone downhill and I can be in Central London in 30 mins. We live in a nice road but the houses are all too close together which my dh hates. All his work is here as well and built up loads of regulars who keep calling him back, we will move but I might miss it when I’m gone
Old 25 Apr 21, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
A couple of years ago we had an amazing afternoon tea at Northcote Manor. We also enjoyed eating at Nigel’s Ribble Valley Inns - especially the Three Fishes, before the chain was sold. Sad to see it nowadays.
Northcote is probably the best food I’ve had in this country.
As well as 3 fishes they also had the Highwayman, clog and billycock akimbo with another I can’t remember. I think Nigel Howarth moved on and it was all disbanded. The pubs now all to seem to be brunning and price while trying (and failing) to keep a bit of originality . Shame really
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S

Colette-S's Reviews
Originally Posted by salmim View Post
A central Lancashire delicacy. Used to be known as a Friday Pie (no meat).
Greenhalgh Bakeries do the best, lovely pastry, potatoes, onion cooked in Butter. Some have it on a barmcake. (Probably Wiganers 🤣 ) we have them for dinner on Tues and Friday. Best before the winter Football with some mushy peas and gravy washed down with Guinness.
Hungry now, "check the fridge our Peg" might have one for me tea.
We always used to have butter pie on good Friday at the St Helens v Wigan fixture 😃
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Greenhalgh's pies are lovely but Pimbletts meat and potato used to be the best pies ever.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

What are the little pies called that are made with hot water pastry (a bit like the edge of gala pie) but with possibly mince in the middle. We call them northern pies and the outlaws (Bolton) bring them down for us.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Northcote is probably the best food I’ve had in this country.
As well as 3 fishes they also had the Highwayman, clog and billycock akimbo with another I can’t remember. I think Nigel Howarth moved on and it was all disbanded. The pubs now all to seem to be brunning and price while trying (and failing) to keep a bit of originality . Shame really
Even better than L’enclume.? 🤔
Yes, it is a shame. Brunning and Price didn’t buy all the old Ribble Valley Inns - the Three Fishes was just down the road from a pub/restaurant they already had (Aspinall Arms) and so not required. Last time we passed it was looking very forlorn and starting look a bit dilapidated.😟

Edited at 07:19 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
What are the little pies called that are made with hot water pastry (a bit like the edge of gala pie) but with possibly mince in the middle. We call them northern pies and the outlaws (Bolton) bring them down for us.
Cissy Green’s? cissygreens/
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S

Colette-S's Reviews
Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Even better than L’enclume.? 🤔
Yes, it is a shame. Brunning and Price didn’t buy all the old Ribble Valley Inns - the Three Fishes was just down the road from a pub/restaurant they already had (Aspinall Arms) and so not required. Last time we passed it was looking very forlorn and starting look a bit dilapidated.😟
What a shame. I thought they bought them all! I am still on their mailing list although the emails come from the individual pubs/owners rather than B&P
I’ve just remembered that shortly before they were sold they opened one not too far for here near Tarporley that we went to a couple of times. Wonder what happened with that?
We are very well fed up here 🐷