Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Apr 21, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Any laws regarding shooting birds and squirrels?

My husband has been convinced for the past few years that one of our ‘neighbours’ that lives in a property on the road behind us, shoots birds and squirrels out of the trees. We have had dead squirrels or birds in our garden and when my husband disposes of them he checks them and they have a ‘shot’ type wound.

He thought it was kids with a BB gun. This week we had 2 huge dead birds in our garden, same wound. I said he must be mistaken and they have sadly fallen from the tree.

Fast forward to today and I am sitting in the garden relaxing in the sunshine. I hear these ‘pops’, tree branches rustle, another ‘pop’ and a bird falls from the tree. I go to my upstairs skylight window and peer out to see a man walking around below (next door, road behind us) and thought maybe it’s my imagination. He was working on a bike or car in the garage with a friend so maybe it was just general noises I could hear?

I have just heard the noises again, seen a squirrel scurrying for it’s life and 5 seconds later it’s been shot out of the tree! I run upstairs again and see the man leave his garage, go over and pick up the dead squirrel and take it back to the garage swinging it around whilst laughing with his mate. 2 men, probably in their 50’s.

Whilst I’m disgusted and shocked, and also don’t want dead birds in my garden, I have no idea if this is illegal, considered legal and just morally wrong, or if I’m over reacting? I don’ want to ask on our local FB page as everyone knows where I live so will know who/where I’m referring to.

Do any dibbers know the laws surrounding this and where I can look/what (if) there is anything I can do about it?
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

There's a good summary here but one thing is certain you can't shoot into other people's or public land. If you are shooting on your own land you must know where the pellet is heading or have a backstop in place.

fieldsportschannel.tv/airgun-law-uk/
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Just ring up the police and enquire if it is legal, they will then ask why you want to know and you can then tell them how concerned you are. Whilst it might not be illegal to shoot squirrels I think you will find its illegal to discharge a firearm of any sort in an area where it may ricochet and end up hitting a person as opposed to an animal/bird. What's he gonna shoot next cat's that come in his garden!
I know my sister & neighbours had a similar problem & the police were called by the neighbour the other side of the guy doing the same thing, when a pellet came whizzing over their child's head and smashed their greenhouse window.

I just Googled and got this :

The lethal control (killing) of pigeons, seagulls and other wild birds in the UK is legislated by the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), courtesy of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Chapter 69), which effectively reports that it is illegal to kill or injure any wild bird, including pigeons ...
Old 25 Apr 21, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Thank you. They are a block of maisonettes, some owned, some are rented. They are doing it out the front of the houses where the gardens, car park and garages are. There is also a public footpath adjacent to the tree they are shooting (therefore they are endangering anyone walking along the street, footpath, the residents etc.)

My husband has just said to call the council tomorrow for advice. They have a letting agent/management company that deals with the block of maisonettes that I liase with regarding any neighbour issues eg. Tree trimming, fences etc.

Edited at 05:38 PM.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

I agree, ring the police and explain. I’m pretty sure neighbours can’t shoot animals from trees in a residential area. Besides the obvious cruelty and dangers, who wants dead animals to dispose of from their garden?- shocking 😳
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Yes, It is most definitely illegal. Report to the police. Please.
Old 25 Apr 21, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Do your local police have a "report crime online" function on their website? I would do this today if you can...
TheHughesCrew is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bondy007 View Post
Yes, It is most definitely illegal. Report to the police. Please.
Thank you. I’m horrified! I’m not an animal lover at all, we live in London so not of country ilk but I’m appalled and it actually upset me seeing it today.

I often watch the squirrels running around when I’m in the gym at the bottom of my garden and we have robins that perch on the fence every morning while I’m working out. There are parakeets that belong to someone locally that sit in the trees as well as pidgeons, jay, sparrows and many many more birds. They have nests up there too.
Old 25 Apr 21, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by TheHughesCrew View Post
Do your local police have a "report crime online" function on their website? I would do this today if you can...
I’m not sure, I’ve never used it. I will have a look.
Old 25 Apr 21, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Try 101 for non emergency, I use this if I see anything suspicious while walking the dog.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List