Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Apr 21, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
laney1980
Apprentice Imagineer

He’s from a litter of 9 and all have different texture coats. Like a previous poster said you can’t guarantee what coat you’ll get with a mixed breed.
Jarvis was cut quite short at the weekend, currently it looks like I’m walking a pet lamb! 🤣
laney1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Simba is a ≈≈≈≈zu cross toy poodle so pretty small but we wanted something this size and a cross of two hypoallergenic breeds. So far he doesn’t shed at all. He can be a tad yappy but his size is so perfect to be on backseat of car or lap in a pub garden.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by scottishmum View Post
I brush my cocker spaniel most days , he never sheds , it’s a myth that long haired dogs shed and you find hair all over.

In contrast my neighbour boxer constantly sheds and it’s sharp like little hairs , also with labs I believe.
We have a show cocker and I agree our girl never sheds, but my mums dog (that I look after during the day now that she’s passed away) is a short haired border collie and she sheds all the time. My theory is that I have to take my cocker to the groomers to be cut as her hair grows but doesn’t fall out, and my mums collie doesn’t need to be groomed as her hair just thickens in the winter and then she sheds the dead hair!

I’m very biased as I would only ever have a show cocker, as I’ve had them since I was a child - Aulani, my current one, is our fourth and they have all been such wonderful, loving dogs, and they aren’t boisterous at all - as someone else said, working cockers are more lively, I actually think they are more similar to springers than show cockers.

Good luck in your decision, I’m so thankful I have my dog, without a doubt she has helped me so much through losing my mum ❤️
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
Our last dog was a rescue even though a puppy, or should I say was born to one of the rescue dogs.
I've looked at the local rescue places and the dogs either seem to have some issues , not house trained, need an experienced owner etc. Or they are snapped up very quickly.
I did think of a greyhound or whippet, but then read they have a high prey drive which would make me a bit nervous in case they took off after a cat or smaller dog
Not all sighthounds have a high prey drive, although an awful lot do. Even some old racing greyhounds can be cat friendly... although they're few and far between. We recently welcomed a lurcher into our family. She's got so little fur she doesn't shed at all! She's a whirlwind, but very loving. I think that although there can be certain breed traits, it really does depend on the dog itself, and of course their owners. Something will turn up, and it will be perfect for you x

TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mamie Baldwin
VIP Dibber

We have a miniature short haired dachshund puppy. Mabel is 4 months old and incredibly loving. She doesn’t shed hair either.

Mamie Baldwin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Get a greyhound or a lurcher from the local greyhound rescue, fab dogs, love sleeping, love walks, love going to the pub. love the car.
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
ladeh
slightly serious Dibber

Talking

Labrador for us, yes she does shed but we have robot hoover and lint rollers at the front door, we have a litter of 9 at the moment so i have just got used to the hairiness haha

Edited at 07:01 AM.
ladeh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Have you considered a standard poodle?
They are such a beautiful dog. On a walk I actually asked an owner what the breed was, I was assuming a labradoodle but it was a full breed poodle but without a poodle cut. Oh my, he was so handsome!
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Standard poodle is the way to go. Fantastic dogs

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

I have a friend who breeds miniature poodles, we had a zoom book club meeting last night and she’s recently had a litter and picked one up to show us, I’m in love, the most beautiful puppy, is her last one but it’s got an issue with its legs so she can’t sell it as a pedigree 😢😢 she’s also had one of the litter returned after a week as the pup peed on its new owners silk carpet!
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List