Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 May 21, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

Sinusitis and dairy free

Hey, I'm a lifelong sufferer of sinusitis. I had an operation as a young adult which didn't make much difference.
I have tinnitus caused by a severe infection a few years back and after a consultation yesterday I'm back on antibiotics and steroids which bring their own problems. The new doctor I saw suggested I try being dairy free, (as dairy thickens our mucus) something I've never been told, even by ent cons.

I am willing to try anything, but has dairy free worked for you?

Literally dairy is my favourite foodstuff.

Edited at 07:28 AM.
LadyAurora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
PABBY
Excited about Disney

I feel your pain! I've suffered with sinusitis in 1 nostril for over 2 years. Nothing the doctor prescribed had any effect, bar a 3-month period where the symptoms eased somewhat. I was due an appointment to be referred and then Covid struck and all referrals were cancelled. I am resigned to using a decongestant several times a day in order to relieve the pressure.

I've never read or heard about dairy products being a contributory factor and, like you, they are too big a part of my diet to just drop them. I would rather give up beer than milk!
PABBY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

I have heard that before. Even my mum back in the 50s was told to limit dairy intake due to recurrant sinusitis.

It's a tough one to give up but might be worth trying for 4 weeks and see how you get on.
Old 11 May 21, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post

My daughter went Dairy Free (Vegan) and it cleared up her eczema.

Dairy doesn't agree with a lot of people but they motor through.

Give it a try for a month. Your system should be clear of it by then.

Edited at 12:42 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

As well as dairy free try to include pineapple daily as it thins/breaks up mucus & has an anti-inflammatory benefit also.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Just finishing my latest course of antibiotics now for sinus. I was operated on 18 years ago and it helped for a while but I’ve just accepted now it’s chronic and I have to live with it. I have cut down on dairy quite significantly over the last year but it hasn’t seemed to have much effect. I haven’t gone completely dairy free though.

It is the most horrible thing to have. I was trying to explain the other day to someone what it felt like and closest I could get is it’s like pouring quickset concrete in your face then expanding it til it’s about to burst!
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

My mum was advised this years ago. She found the switch hard but committed to trying it for 2 months. After that time it had really helped her and she’d got used to not having dairy anyway. It sucks giving up something that you love especially if you’re someone it doesn’t end up helping but could be worth a try for a month or so.

Edit - there was also some foods she was advised not to have. I remember mushrooms being one of them. If you google anti mucus diet it brings up some things to avoid.

Edited at 07:11 PM.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
My mum was advised this years ago. She found the switch hard but committed to trying it for 2 months. After that time it had really helped her and she’d got used to not having dairy anyway. It sucks giving up something that you love especially if you’re someone it doesn’t end up helping but could be worth a try for a month or so.

Edit - there was also some foods she was advised not to have. I remember mushrooms being one of them. If you google anti mucus diet it brings up some things to avoid.
Thanks for your reply. I never knew there were foods to avoid, the more I'm researching, it seems the bad food is the stuff I like the most
LadyAurora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

Thanks for your replies, I've decided to try dairy free for a month if I can to see if I can get some control over my symptoms.
Old 11 May 21, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

My friend is dairy free due to sinuses and for her it really works. So much so that when she ‘treats’ herself to some cheese every now and again she notices the difference. Good luck with it.
Alices Aunt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List