Notices

Old 26 Dec 20, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

France finds first case of new variant

France finds first case of Variant Covid according to the BBC

Well they can't have been looking very hard as the variant has been around since Sept !

I have no doubts that this border closure has been a complete political thing to cause disruption & chaos !

The largest number of people he has hurt this time is all those poor lorry drivers forced to have Xmas in their lorries

Macron is an absolute disgrace of a President and hope he gets voted out in his next election.

bbc/news/world-europe-55449528
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Had there been cases of a new and more transmissible variant discovered in Northern France, I hope our government would have been proactive to protect the U.K. Therefore I canít blame the French for doing the same.
This thread probably belongs in the political forum.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Had there been cases of a new and more transmissible variant discovered in Northern France, I hope our government would have been proactive to protect the U.K. Therefore I canít blame the French for doing the same.
This thread probably belongs in the political forum.
Given past experience I don't know why you'd think that! But I've liked your post because I agree with you apart from that!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Given past experience I don't know why you'd think that! But I've liked your post because I agree with you apart from that!
Haha - the keyword was Ďhopeí. Iím always hopeful and frequently disappointed. 🤣
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ashc13
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by kiwiinabd View Post
France finds first case of Variant Covid according to the BBC

Well they can't have been looking very hard as the variant has been around since Sept !

I have no doubts that this border closure has been a complete political thing to cause disruption & chaos !

The largest number of people he has hurt this time is all those poor lorry drivers forced to have Xmas in their lorries

Macron is an absolute disgrace of a President and hope he gets voted out in his next election.

bbc/news/world-europe-55449528
Is Boris better? IMO he didn't handle the situation very well. It's not just France. A lot of countries have imposed extra restrictions.
ashc13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

I doubt theyíve been looking too hard then!
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
FamilyGWales
VIP Dibber

If this is a thread about the potential spread of recognised cases of the new variant across France then it should stay here.

If it is a political bashing of the French government only tangentially related to covid and on more on a brexit rant then it can hive off to the political forum.

I guess it is what we make it.

The first case they have typed is from an asymptomatic individual who returned on the 19th Dec from London I believe.

It sounds a bit like a run around testing of those who have recently returned to check, rather than necessarily something that was caught by diagnostics in the normal way - esp as it was asymptomatic.

Perhaps it is a catch up by the French govt. This seems eminently sensible.

If it was a change in their typing mechanism of normal testing protocols then I suspect sadly, it is likely to be only the tip of the iceberg.

Edited at 02:11 PM.
FamilyGWales is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Do you live in France or are you just going on one action to protect France until more was known? Many criticised Boris for not closing the UK borders early on. This is the Frenchís way of learning from past mistakes. This was a good reaction by not only the French but many other countries to try to limit the spread of this mutant variant. Yes, it affected the lorry drivers which is not good but it has potentially saved many others.

While you may not like him, donít judge him on one action. And certainly not as with as much venom as you posts signifies. As a French resident he has certainly been good in most of this crisis.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I agree with Omega 1.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Do you live in France or are you just going on one action to protect France until more was known? Many criticised Boris for not closing the UK borders early on. This is the Frenchís way of learning from past mistakes. This was a good reaction by not only the French but many other countries to try to limit the spread of this mutant variant. Yes, it affected the lorry drivers which is not good but it has potentially saved many others.

While you may not like him, donít judge him on one action. And certainly not as with as much venom as you posts signifies. As a French resident he has certainly been good in most of this crisis.
Totally agree. Other countries aren't supposed to protect their own citizens lol. There was a holy outcry on here (the dibb) last march when Spain and others closed borders and the UK delayed. I'm in Spain. I've no problem with macrons decision and had the new variant been declared as widespread in Spain and France , as the UK government states. I would expect Bojo to close UK borders... It's called being proactive as opposed to reactive
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List