Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Jan 21, 03:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Manc1979
Apprentice Imagineer

Airplanes

We generally go abroad 2-3 times a year and about 2-3 weeks before we go we always pop to the viewing park at Manchester airport as my little girl loves watching the planes there (well they also have bouncy castles and play equipment etc so maybe that’s why she likes it )...I wouldn’t class myself as an aviation geek although I do follow a few trip report ones on YouTube but for me it gets us really in the mood for an upcoming holiday ...I wouldn’t go if I didn’t have a holiday coming up 😂...so who else likes to go and watch the planes ?
Manc1979 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 05:14 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Manc1979 View Post
We generally go abroad 2-3 times a year and about 2-3 weeks before we go we always pop to the viewing park at Manchester airport as my little girl loves watching the planes there (well they also have bouncy castles and play equipment etc so maybe that’s why she likes it )...I wouldn’t class myself as an aviation geek although I do follow a few trip report ones on YouTube but for me it gets us really in the mood for an upcoming holiday ...I wouldn’t go if I didn’t have a holiday coming up 😂...so who else likes to go and watch the planes ?
I have been aviation mad all my life, bought up on RAF Stations, Helicopter Tech in the Army etc.
Now that I am fortunate to travel, I always try to fit aviation museums into my vacations.( I have a lovely understanding wife).
In the USA..
Pensacola Naval Aviation museum
Eglin armaments museum
USS Alabama memorial park
Kermit Weekes fantasy flight in Polk.
Castle AFB, California
San Diego air and space, California
USS Midway , California.
USS Intrepid, NY
SmithsonIan Aispace on Washington Mall
Hazy Centre at Dulles
Museum of the USAF at Dayton Ohio.

This year it is Pima Arizona and the Desert boneyard.

Live aircraft flying about? Yes, when at an airport, but my interest is more Military, Historic and Technical..

Edited at 06:00 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I have been aviation mad all my life, bought up on RAF Stations, Helicopter Tech in the Army etc.
Now that I am fortunate to travel, I always try to fit aviation museums into my vacations.( I have a lovely understanding wife).
In the USA..
Pensacola Naval Aviation museum
Eglin armaments museum
USS Alabama memorial park
Kermit Weekes fantasy flight in Polk.
Castle AFB, California
San Diego air and space, California
USS Midway , California.
USS Intrepid, NY
SmithsonIan Aispace on Washington Mall
Hazy Centre at Dulles
Museum of the USAF at Dayton Ohio.

This year it is Pima Arizona and the Desert boneyard.

Live aircraft flying about? Yes, when at an airport, but my interest is more Military, Historic and Technical..
DH is the same with military vehicles! We’ve been a couple of times to Florida when theyve had a big show on. Also a few ships, Intrepid and Pampinito (i think that was its name, in SF).
Old 31 Jan 21, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Not me, but when I was little we used to go to RAF Fairford and watch their air displays which I absolutely loved! I love the rumble you get in your stomach as they roar past - amazing!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’m extremely lucky, not only do I have the best view at Heathrow I also get well paid for the privilege

I’ve always been fascinated by aviation, as a young boy I spent many happy hours on the Queens building. Highlight was always the departure of BA001.

This then made an easy choice for me regarding my university education, a masters in aeronautical engineering!

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22

Edited at 08:51 AM.
Cabbie is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

My DS15 loves planes. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’d been a pilot in a previous life. We took him to an air museum once (well he’s been to a few) but this particular time he must have been about 7 or 8 and he climbed in to this really old plane, sat in the cockpit and proceeded to tell the guide all about each of the buttons and what they did. Not sure who was more shocked, me or the guide. Whenever it’s someone’s birthday, he always wants to go to the airport pub at Manchester for a meal. He loves watching the planes go over head. I find it far too busy (people) but he loves it.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

I’m excited like a child when we get to the airport and we usually stay the night before as it’s the perfect start to a holiday . It’s more exciting to watch when we are going but not so much when we are coming back esp if we are going to florida.
We usually go via Manchester ..
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
hsm89
Getting Excited

I love a good trip to the airport purely to plane spot! My dad is an avid plane spotter and my brother photographs them for airport magazines etc so I would say it runs in the family.

Was fortunate to see this last month, something I've always wanted to see!

hsm89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I used to spend hours watching the planes at Heathrow as a child, sometimes in the green man pub and sometimes at the airport.
My dad was a policeman at the airport so would wait for him to finish on the queens building roof.

I used to know the sound and shape but not anymore. Also saw every airshow at Farnborough lying on my grandma's shed roof. In those days the pilots flew very low and I remember seeing some of their faces when they flew upside down over the house.

I still get excited when I go to an airport now
Old 31 Jan 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Manc1979
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
My DS15 loves planes. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’d been a pilot in a previous life. We took him to an air museum once (well he’s been to a few) but this particular time he must have been about 7 or 8 and he climbed in to this really old plane, sat in the cockpit and proceeded to tell the guide all about each of the buttons and what they did. Not sure who was more shocked, me or the guide. Whenever it’s someone’s birthday, he always wants to go to the airport pub at Manchester for a meal. He loves watching the planes go over head. I find it far too busy (people) but he loves it.
I do like the airport pub too...the planes are alot closer there than at the main viewing park but the viewing park has concorde!
Manc1979 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List