Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 May 21, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Vietnam and cambodia plus mekong river

Has anyone done this and with who, and advice would be great?

Thanks
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I went to both during my “belated gap year” when I was in my thirties. I didn’t spend any time on the Mekong, DH has done a Mekong river cruise, mainly in Laos though.

I booked everything myself and travelled independently throughout Cambodia. For Vietnam I booked my own flight into Hanoi and spent a few days there, then I joined a tour and we went to Halong Bay for a few days then took the Reunification Express down the country ending up in Ho Chi Minh where I left the tour and travelled by myself again. The tour company I travelled with doesn’t seem to exist any more but looks to have merged with Intrepid Travel.

What kind of tips were you after?
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I went to both during my “belated gap year” when I was in my thirties. I didn’t spend any time on the Mekong, DH has done a Mekong river cruise, mainly in Laos though.

I booked everything myself and travelled independently throughout Cambodia. For Vietnam I booked my own flight into Hanoi and spent a few days there, then I joined a tour and we went to Halong Bay for a few days then took the Reunification Express down the country ending up in Ho Chi Minh where I left the tour and travelled by myself again. The tour company I travelled with doesn’t seem to exist any more but looks to have merged with Intrepid Travel.

What kind of tips were you after?
That's a great start, im not keen on organised tours but it's a place I don't know at all. Have seen a few river cruises and though we could add onto one of those. It's a bucket list place so just doing some research

We are not cruise people, I have only done the Alaska wilderness on a 70 passenger boat with no frills and that was fine.

Edited at 03:06 PM.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

We did Cambodia alongside Laos, Bangkok and a couple of other places 3 years ago. Cambodia was my favourite place out of everywhere we visited.
Old 2 May 21, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

A couple of tips. First one is to not cut short time at Siem Reap, I found a lot of people seem to book just a couple of nights there and even when TAs put together an itinerary they seem to keep it quite short. I had either four of five nights there and that was great. The first day I hired a driver to go to some of the furthest away temples, the next day I stepped out of the hotel, hired a tuk tuk driver for the day who drove me around wherever I chose and waited outside for me, I then booked him for the rest of the days. I saved Angkor Wat until the penultimate day, wasn’t my favourite site anyway, I like the one that is overrun with trees best, Ta Prohm.

A highlight of Vietnam was definitely Halong Bay, a one night / two day mini cruise is perfect. If you decide to take the train, go in the highest class available.

I really enjoyed both countries, very interesting and such lovely people.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

I visited Vietnam a few years ago. We did everything ourselves, although didn't do any major trips. It's a lovely country, very easy to get around.

This is my little trip report.
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1076759
justacey is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Yeah do not do an organised tour!
Agree with Claudette, we had 5 nights at Siem Riep and still could have had more, cracking place. Also had 2 nights in Phnom Penh, fun city and the genocide museum and the killing fields are unfortunately a must.

Vietnam was great too, we liked Ho Chi Minh but it wasn’t our fave place. At least 2 days though. You can get the train all through Vietnam inc night sleeper trains.
Hoi An was my fave place in Vietnam, least 2 nights. Red bridge cooking school and wandering through the town eating and drinking.
Hue has charm too
Hanoi is a fab city (prefer to Ho Chi Minh). 3 nights min
Halong bay a very expensive detour for a one night cruise. But worth it.
We had a crap trip to Sapa, weather atrocious and despite being told boots would be available to my ex so we didn’t buy walking boots and fly over, they didn’t go to western sizes, so if walking take kit. We had terrible weather so sacked it off and went back to Hanoi but for some it was their highlight
Old 2 May 21, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

We visited Vietnam in 2019 as our son teaches in Ho Chi Minh. We also visited Hoi An while we were there. We had a wonderful time, although we didn’t visit the Mekong Delta (definitely planning to do this on another visit when we are able to do so) The food in Vietnam surprised us as it was delicious and of a really good standard and we found the people so friendly and welcoming.

Here’s a link to my trip report if you wanted to read

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1143697

Edited at 09:54 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
stockport1965
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
We visited Vietnam in 2019 as our son teaches in Ho Chi Minh. We also visited Hoi An while we were there. We had a wonderful time, although we didn’t visit the Mekong Delta (definitely planning to do this on another visit when we are able to do so) The food in Vietnam surprised us as it was delicious and of a really good standard and we found the people so friendly and welcoming.

Here’s a link to my trip report if you wanted to read

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1143697
We're "still" hopeful for 2022
stockport1965 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stockport1965 View Post
We're "still" hopeful for 2022
I really hope you get there at last, you’ve certainly waited long enough. I’m really pleased we managed to go to see our son before the pandemic started.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List