Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 May 21, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Hecky78
Excited about Disney

Hip replacement

I am having a hip replacement in the summer and am quite young to be having one but unfortunately I have no choice as I suffer from avascular necrosis and this is the only treatment. I was just wondering if anyone has any experiences or any suggestions they might be able to share with me. Thankyou!
Hecky78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
My Wife along with many others on here have had it done.

Her suggestion is if they do offer you a choice have the anterior method as opposed to the posterior method.
The anterior operation is far less brutal, the scar is smaller, less muscle is cut and the recovery is quick. Plus you can do things from Day 1 after the op that you cannot do for weeks with the other method.

Oh, and try and build muscle if you can before the operation.

Any questions on exercises etc please come back and she will answer you.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Hecky78
Excited about Disney

The consultant hasn’t mentioned which type but did say I would be up the first day. I am lucky I have private medical cover so am getting it done relatively quickly.
If you don’t mind me asking how long did it take for her to get over the op and has she had any restrictions on what she can do since?
I am trying to get lose some weight and get more active before the op but it’s difficult with the pain.

Edited at 12:57 PM.
Hecky78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Dictated by Mrs Morrow.

I went Private for all the scans etc and then was due to have the NHS op anterior method but sadly the Surgeon became gravely ill so I was switched to another Consultant who didn't perform that method sadly. However he was very good.
It was done in an NHS Unit that deals solely with leg, arm and shoulder operations and everybody tends to be in and out within a max of 48 hours but more normally 24.
The anterior method would have been out in under 24 hours and sometimes the same day!

Operation on Thursday and discharged Saturday lunchtime with all meds, exercise leaflets and also surgical aids such as arm 'crutches' and an elevated 'raiser' for the loo and finally an elevated chair a bit like the size of a dining room chair. That stuff had to go back 6 weeks later.

The most important thing is exercise post operation. I know a Private Physio and she wanted me walking within a week and really pushing as the weeks progress. Whatever the Physio tells you to do is money in the bank! It rebuilds the muscle and improves blood flow and healing.
Speak to the Consultant about scar treatment post op. I managed to break down the scar tissue under the skin by rubbing a moisturiser in to the area twice daily. I was advised of this by my Physio more than the Hospital - good advice!

Walking is the best thing you can do and every day push it a bit more it can be slow but it does work.

The restrictions afterwards. sadly they happen. For example don't cross your legs, don't bend at the waist whatever you do in the early days - it does improve!

One leg can be up to 1" shorter and nothing can be done about that.

It seems a long road to recovery but you will get there.

Best of luck. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Hecky78
Excited about Disney

Thank you so much, that’s really helpful. I will definitely pm you if I can think of more things. At the moment I am still in shock and worried about it tbh!
Old 4 May 21, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I had my right one done about 8 years ago at 42 ! Osteoarthritis from too much martial arts. I have had less pain from when the epidural went in than I had before it every day.

I had the op at 8pm 10am the next day I was walking the day after doing stairs. It took me 6 weeks to be able to drive I did all the exercises and rests that I was meant to take. I had it done privately which meant better physio I guess probably took 3 months to fully recover.

The only thing I woudl change is that they gave me Tramadol and I did not like it I was kept in for 5 nights and then went home when I stopped the tramadol and just had paracetamol. I will have to have the other done at some point and I will request there I only have paracetemol. I woudl rather take a bit more pain than the messing with my mind and constipation that came with the tramadol.

I was not lucky enough to have the higher chair that Mrs TM had I woudl walk to the libaray as there was one there but I will buy one next time that makes a massive difference

Edited at 01:49 PM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Ive jumped on this thread Tom, as every possibility I'm going to have to have hip Surgery. Going down the private route to get a full diagnosis (currently Hampshire can only offer a Consultant telelcon with a view to an appointment, when? )
So the info you've given really helpful. Thank you.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Hecky78
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I had my right one done about 8 years ago at 42 ! Osteoarthritis from too much martial arts. I have had less pain from when the epidural went in than I had before it every day.

I had the op at 8pm 10am the next day I was walking the day after doing stairs. It took me 6 weeks to be able to drive I did all the exercises and rests that I was meant to take. I had it done privately which meant better physio I guess probably took 3 months to fully recover.

The only thing I woudl change is that they gave me Tramadol and I did not like it I was kept in for 5 nights and then went home when I stopped the tramadol and just had paracetamol. I will have to have the other done at some point and I will request there I only have paracetemol. I woudl rather take a bit more pain than the messing with my mind and constipation that came with the tramadol.

I was not lucky enough to have the higher chair that Mrs TM had I woudl walk to the libaray as there was one there but I will buy one next time that makes a massive difference
Thank you for your reply. I am the same age as you were when you had the op. I have found it quite overwhelming but it’s reassuring to know that people have found it a success.
Old 4 May 21, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hecky78 View Post
Thank you for your reply. I am the same age as you were when you had the op. I have found it quite overwhelming but it’s reassuring to know that people have found it a success.
Honestly I have have two sets of keyhole surgery on my knees each of these was more painful and took longer to recover from than my hip. Yes its a big operation but the hip is one of the less complex joints that you have.

I honestly think having this done was one of the best decisions I have made. *

* Note to Tom Morrow after switching from Merc to BMW
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Bodies are strange old things. Serve you well for years than we seem to fall apart

OP. Glad you have a insurance coverage as even after paying £2K for Consultant visits, an MRI and X Ray the operation was another £13.5K on top! Hence she jumped on to the NHS list.

Goodness knows how long the lists are now. My Wife’s issues are due to arthritis and she has already had one shoulder done, the right hip and will need the other shoulder done soon sadly.