Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 14 Nov 20, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TGT View Post
I mostly ignore dates - I'll sniff and look. I read if it's slimy that's bacteria and should be thrown but if it's just furry it's fine (but I would cut the fur off!)

However, I have to admit I did throw out a bottle of mustard a couple of weeks ago - best before 2010. I figured at 10 years beyond the date I wouldn't take the chance! It did look a little brown/oxidised rather than hideously bright yellow (hot dog style mustard that I took home after a friend's daughter's primary school fair. She did her GCSEs this year)
You sound like my grandmother when my mother was telling her the packet of icing sugar in the back of her cupboard that was over 15 years old was probably not worth using - needless to say she begged to differ as it still looked white enough in the box.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

I cannot use anything on the same day as the date.
So if it it’s dated the 15th I will only eat it up to the 14th.
Hubby however thinks this is crazy and insists if it smells ok,then it is ok!
Tracy x
Old 15 Nov 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Poppycat
Imagineer

Poppycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I would not take medicine that is past its expired by date ever.

Nor chicken or prawns /shellfish or other raw meat and even then give it a good sniff on the day of and day before...

Best by is just a guide here.

Except potatoes that have sprouted a lot. A bud ok, but actual sprouting no.
Found some well sprouted potatoes in the fridge at the start of lockdown and planted them to see what would happen.. they grew and produced more spuds.

Use by - If it's blown, fizzy, mouldy (that can't be chopped out safely) or smelly - don't eat. Will abide religiously for chicken, red meat or fish for the kids as I don't eat it and couldn't tell if it was off.

Best befores.. exactly that, ok but might not be as tasty as it could have been. Finally gave up on 5 year old popcorn kernels as they were a bit stale.. had been fine 3 months before

Edited at 08:54 PM.
Poppycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

I pretty much stick to use by dates for everything, absolutely no budging on meat, fish or dairy. I just don’t feel it is worth the risk. I know if I spent hours vomming or pooping through the eye of a needle I would hate myself for eating those out of dates sausages... it’s not worth it.
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 01:01 AM  
Link to this Post
willow
Imagineer

Depends what it is, milk and chicken are a no, most other things I would go by smell and look.
I’ve got a couple bottle for Irn Bru Crimbo juice that is out of date that I was going to throw out but I’m glad I didn’t as they aren’t doing it this year due to limited staff numbers.

Indian Creek 2004,Radison 2005
Indian Creek 2007,Calabry Park 2009
Lake Wilson Preserve 2011,2013, 2015,2016,2017,2018, 2019,2020
willow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List