Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 19 Nov 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by keith1973 View Post
It’s really annoying that Disney are not helping more with this
They don't really have any choice, the rules prevent double banking. Your best option if you can't travel is to rent the points out - as you have seen others have done this with reasonable success.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
They don't really have any choice, the rules prevent double banking. Your best option if you can't travel is to rent the points out - as you have seen others have done this with reasonable success.
The rules they created? How am I supposed to rent the points when I’m hoping to use them in March
Old 21 Nov 20, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
Renting along with RCI is basically the only options but rules can be changed either permanently or temporary. Due to Covid a number of rules have been temporary changed and while some of those address the problems for all their membership none I believe specifically address just their International members who are banned from flying into the USA.

Within the Temporary Policy Updates you can read - Looking ahead to better days, our team is committed to keeping Members informed and creating additional flexibility in Membership given the unique circumstances of this crisis. We are now taking actions that go beyond the temporary updates to our cancellation policy introduced earlier.

Also, Members who want to borrow Points to complete a reservation will temporarily only be able to borrow up to 50 percent of their future Use Year Points per contract, as permitted by Home Resort Rules and Regulations. Doing this will help manage inventory and accommodate more Members who want to schedule their vacations once the Resorts reopen.

Also, Additionally, apart from the situations mentioned above where Vacation Points will be extended, all Vacation Points banking rules apply and extensions to banking deadlines will not be provided. These rules remain in place to ensure that the Membership as a whole avoids future inventory constraints.

Restricting borrowing to 50% makes sense as there's going to be a glut of points over the next year or two due to being closed. But if they applied a temporary change so to allow the re-banking of already bank points for those who can't travel due to Government or State restrictions, then moving those into future years will help spread the glut of points over a longer period.

While this will mainly help the International member it might also help some US members if their State imposes a travel ban over the winter months. I'm sure that if states like NY or CA did restrict travel into and out of state then more than likely DVC would make an exception for those members.

So going back to DVC's statement that they are creating additional flexibility in Membership given the unique circumstances of this crisis.

The question needs to be asked what additional flexibility will be given to the unique circumstance of their International members who are banned from travelling to their Home resort.

One way to ask that question is not through Member Services but directly to the DVC Board via the special feedback form that has been set up on the Condo Association News page Share your Feedback, hopefully if they receive enough feedback from their International members then they should at least receive a response.

disneyvacationclub.disney.go...ociation-news/

And while that response might not be the answer they would want to hear, it's at least been addressed by the board at their December meeting, it would then make it more difficult for the Board to make exceptions to their US members if their State imposed an out of state travel ban.

And who know's, if the Board actually considered and agreed to a temporary change then depending on the uptake it could actually help alleviate the 50% borrowing limit so helping out their US members who currently do have the option to visit their Home resorts, so a win-win.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The rules they created? How am I supposed to rent the points when I’m hoping to use them in March
And we agreed to when we bought them. I also own points so understand the concern but the system won't work if there are excess points in the system (which there already are).

And I meant, rent them nearer the time if you can't go.

I was trying to help, not sure why I bothered!
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Keith. We are in the same boat with March Points as well and I really feel for you as not everybody has the flexibility we have by being retired.

We both feel our March 10 day trip is looking decidedly iffy but our game plan is that if we can't go then to immediately amend the October booking we have when we take the Granddaughter as well and cancel the Studio and have a 1 Bed instead.

We have an absolute glut of Points for 2021 and even with 4 trips booked for us and one we have booked for our Son we will still be banking hundreds of Points in to 2022.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
blackbird
Excited about Disney

The problem is I’m not going to know until closer to March if we can go or not at that point it’s too late.
I've got same problem due to go in March just waiting to find out if we can
blackbird is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

In your situation I think I would rent the reservation. If you can go, great. If not, someone else can buy your reservation, at least you will recoup some money.

We are in a similar position for April/May. If that trip doesn’t go ahead our banked 224 points will expire in July. We have booked a back up July trip which sounds fine, but we thought November and January’s trips would be ‘fine’ when they were booked in January 2020 😫😫

Edited at 12:05 PM.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List