Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Feb 18, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Merlin the Cocker Spaniel - Final Update - Page 11

One of my babies, Merlin the Cocker Spaniel, has been having some issues with his nose. In late October, he all of a sudden started bleeding from his right nostril - it was bedtime, and there was blood everywhere. We didn't know what started it but assumed he'd sniffed at something in the garden which didn't agree with him. We kept pressure on the nose all night and took him to the vet in the morning (this is what the on call vet advised). He was given antibiotics and metacam.

He continued to sneeze, shake his head (ears were checked and are fine) and his breathing was snuffly. He went back again in early November, when we were away, and was given more antibiotics and metacam.

Long story short, we've been back and forth since. He's had a camera up his nose and x-rays done, which show an inflammation of the nasal passage on the right side only, and some inflammation in a small area of the lung (likely being irritated by blood/mucus going into lung from the nose). They also flushed his nose out and tested the fluid for infection, bacteria, fungi etc. which came back clear.

He's just finishing a month-long course of Metacam, as the vet couldn't think of anything else to try, but he's no better. I could hear his snuffly breathing when we were in bed last night, and I feel so sorry for him. He is well in himself, but the vet is perplexed and I have no idea what else can be done. We're £1,200 in on vets fees (thank goodness for insurance) and no further forward.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced something similar? I know you should trust the vet and not do your own research, but I need to do what I can to help my boy.

Edited at 05:54 PM.
skalexander is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Not quite the same, but one of our dogs had an infection in his nose and ear and it took months to get it right. The vet told us that issues in the nose are a nightmare to clear as the conditions are so conducive to the breeding of infection. Even after the infection was gone, it took a while for him to get back to normal and even now his nose is considerably drier on that side. It may be just a case of time.

Edited at 03:09 PM.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Oh the poor little boy! I can't really offer much help sorry. Could it be that it isn't really getting chance to heal over properly before the 'scab' is coming off and bleeding again do you think? It thankfully doesn't sound too scary if the camera and x-rays are coming back clear. Hopefully it may just take time to help completely. I know my two constantly have their noses into everything and snuffling at everything so can imagine it would be difficult to totally heal. He looks so much like my boy!
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

Poor little man!

I would take him to a different vet for a second opinion as there must be something causing the issue. Common sense says some kind of growth due to the sniffly breathing and occasional bleeding (dogs can get polyps in their noses which bleed quite badly if disturbed). You would think the tests he's had would have seen this which is why I would let another vet have a look.

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon and the little guy is feeling better xx
Old 12 Feb 18, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

I would suggest a second vet.

I’m not a vet, but inflamed areas don’t normally heal when there is a foreign body in the location, think of a spelk in your finger. I’m thinking a thorn or a seed which is difficult to see.

Tell the vet you suspect this, you know your dog better than they do.

Edited at 05:40 PM.
Halowa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Oh the poor little boy! I can't really offer much help sorry. Could it be that it isn't really getting chance to heal over properly before the 'scab' is coming off and bleeding again do you think? It thankfully doesn't sound too scary if the camera and x-rays are coming back clear. Hopefully it may just take time to help completely. I know my two constantly have their noses into everything and snuffling at everything so can imagine it would be difficult to totally heal. He looks so much like my boy!
His nose hasn't bled since the day after the camera was up there, and before that it hadn't bled since a couple of days after the nose bleed. It's the sneezing and snuffly breathing which is the problem. Even when he sneezes the mucus is clear not red. I would have hoped we'd have some improvement by now but there's been none

Edited at 05:46 PM.
skalexander is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tre85 View Post
Poor little man!

I would take him to a different vet for a second opinion as there must be something causing the issue. Common sense says some kind of growth due to the sniffly breathing and occasional bleeding (dogs can get polyps in their noses which bleed quite badly if disturbed). You would think the tests he's had would have seen this which is why I would let another vet have a look.

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon and the little guy is feeling better xx
Originally Posted by Halowa View Post
I would suggest a second vet.

I’m not a vet, but inflamed areas don’t normally heal when there is a foreign body in the location, think of a spelk in your finger. I’m thinking a thorn or a seed which is difficult to see.

Tell the vet you suspect this, you know your dog better than they do.
He's had a camera up there plus x-rays - there is nothing there. She asked the practice owner, their most senior vet, to check both nostrils with the endoscope as well, as she/we had been so sure that there would be a polyp or grass seed or something up there, and it could be removed and the problem would be solved. If they've both looked, and they're had the x-rays, I'm satisfied there's nothing there.

My family have used this practice since my parents got their first cat in 1983, albeit the staff have changed, and they've never been anything other than spot on. Plus, the camera and x-rays were over £600 - I don't have that kind of money to pay another vet, and I have no basis on which to ask the insurance to fund a second opinion.
Old 12 Feb 18, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
His nose hasn't bled since the day after the camera was up there, and before that it hadn't bled since a couple of days after the nose bleed. It's the sneezing and snuffly breathing which is the problem. Even when he sneezes the mucus is clear not red. I would have hoped we'd have some improvement by now but there's been none
Oh bless him. Could there be a chance that he has an allergy to something that is causing irritation in his nose and a bit of extra mucus? I have noticed that as soon as I take my dogs out for a walk one of starts to sneeze before we even get to the end of the driveway. He will sneeze probably 6-7 times on an hours walk. I just put it down to him sniffing so hard at things that he is sniffing up dust and it's making him sneeze. Although he rarely sneezes in the house at all, apart from when I put spray deodorant on after a shower. It definitely sounds like something is causing irritation in his nasal passages. Have you started to use any air freshener plug ins etc? I am just clutching at straws suggesting things really but can imagine how worrying and stressful it is for you not being able to help him xx
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Oh bless him. Could there be a chance that he has an allergy to something that is causing irritation in his nose and a bit of extra mucus? I have noticed that as soon as I take my dogs out for a walk one of starts to sneeze before we even get to the end of the driveway. He will sneeze probably 6-7 times on an hours walk. I just put it down to him sniffing so hard at things that he is sniffing up dust and it's making him sneeze. Although he rarely sneezes in the house at all, apart from when I put spray deodorant on after a shower. It definitely sounds like something is causing irritation in his nasal passages. Have you started to use any air freshener plug ins etc? I am just clutching at straws suggesting things really but can imagine how worrying and stressful it is for you not being able to help him xx
I should have said he’s been on allergy tablets twice daily as well. Plus it’s only one nostril, she said the left nostril is normal. I’ve been googling and googling and the only possibility I’ve found is a tooth problem? But seems a bit unlikely, to my non-medically trained brain, that that would cause nose issues.

Thank you for all the replies, just want to fix my boy.
Old 13 Feb 18, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Kate, I just read about the tooth thing too and agree with you. It seems highly unlikely given the amount of examination that he’s had. It seems to happen when they loses a canine and this allows for food etc to be refluxed up into the nose. I am pretty sure the vets would have noticed a tooth missing and would have looked for this already. Is it something that comes and goes or is it constant? I would be the same as you and just want him better xxx