Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Nov 20, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

It’s so nice seeing this thread come alive again!

Nobody knows what is going to happen next year and when we will be able to get back to our happy place but I have to say, it is so lovely to see this thread becoming alive again, with so many people booking their holidays for next year 🥰

Keep the faith everyone! We will get there!
Old 28 Nov 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post

I know! It’s great isn’t it and after reading so many people’s posts on booking, my resolve is wavering and before the weekend is out I think I may have taken advantage of Virgins miles sale and booked for next year. Not California as originally planned but back to Florida.

My only concern is Nationwide’s travel insurance saying no cover if booked when FCO no travel guidance in force but even if they keep that I’m sure there must be insurers out there who will cover us?!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dotb View Post
I know! It’s great isn’t it and after reading so many people’s posts on booking, my resolve is wavering and before the weekend is out I think I may have taken advantage of Virgins miles sale and booked for next year. Not California as originally planned but back to Florida.

My only concern is Nationwide’s travel insurance saying no cover if booked when FCO no travel guidance in force but even if they keep that I’m sure there must be insurers out there who will cover us?!
This is exactly my issue too. I'm with the AA for travel insurance. I almost booked yesterday but with no cover if booking when FCO advice is active it put the brakes on.

Would be great to hear of insurers who are covering trips booked at this point in time. Or are people just booking low deposits and taking a chance?

It is exciting to see this part of the forum buzzing again! Hang in there...

Edited at 10:40 AM.
Wolf1984 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We booked on a whim this week , we usually book in January but my thoughts are that if US travel opens up around spring time ( I have no clue just hoping) the prices will surge due to demand .
We have paid the deposit for a fly drive with BA into Dallas & out of Miami for October
We have a one way flight in the bank with American airlines who were also excellent
Couldn’t fault BA this year we had our deposit back with 24 hours and the extra £ 500 on a different card within two days.
We have rolling insurance so will keep our fingers crossed 🤞
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

I don’t think there are many, if any companies that will cover travelling against FCO advice but I’m pretty sure things will be changing as soon as people start being vaccinated
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

Originally Posted by Wolf1984 View Post
This is exactly my issue too. I'm with the AA for travel insurance. I almost booked yesterday but with no cover if booking when FCO advice is active it put the brakes on.

Would be great to hear of insurers who are covering trips booked at this point in time. Or are people just booking low deposits and taking a chance?

We renewed our Staysure Comprehensive annual policy in early June.

Absolutely no restrictions about booking a holiday with FCO advisory in place (we had two booked at the time). The critical thing is that you won't be covered for medical if you travel against FCO advice. They will cover cancellation but only if you get Covid within 14 days of travel.

Another thread suggests that Battleface will provide cover despite FCO advice but I have no experience of them.

Mick

PS I am trying to keep the good feelings up. Posted about Alamo and Highgate recently. Plenty of doom and gloom threads elsewhere if you want them.

We lost April and Nov. Glass is level for next April and certainly full for next Nov.

Edited at 11:25 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wolf1984 View Post

I’ve paid a deposit with BA for our Flydrive, deposit for villa, deposit for DC and reserved car hire with Andy over at DFCH.

We have universal annual passes which they have frozen for us which will have 11 months use on when we reactive them
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I would love to go back and if my insurers would cover me then I would be tempted but they wont and the only ones I have seen that do cover against FCO advice dont have great reviews - with pre-existing I need belt and braces. Plus, to be honest, California (where I would go) many of the restaurants I would go to are closed or patio seating only, hotels still closed and tourists things I love visit are not open so not sure I would make a special effort at the moment given it could e cool and wet. Emailed my insurers about Dubai in February and again not covered there either and even with Emirates top-up it is not, today, enough me me to book a flight. Hopefully things may change my Easter but realistically hiking out for vaccination - I should be up on the list given my medical history and I am hopeful insurers will then take a risk balances case on case call - that being so I would be on first flight out
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Thing is I’m not after insurance to travel if FCO advise is in place at the time of travel. I wouldn’t travel with an advisory in place.

It just seems quite a few insurers are saying no cover if you BOOK when advise is in place which seems a bit OTT.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Thing is I’m not after insurance to travel if FCO advise is in place at the time of travel. I wouldn’t travel with an advisory in place.

It just seems quite a few insurers are saying no cover if you BOOK when advise is in place which seems a bit OTT.
I think some are covering travel and medical if you are allowed to go. Just not cancellation as it's a known risk - and you are taking this risk by booking. Although Staysure seem to cover you cancelling if you get covid in the days before and cannot travel.

Too much of minefield for me. I'm patiently waiting to book.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List