Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Nov 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Poinsiettas

Arrived home this p.m. to find a beautiful healthy Poinsietta in the hall courtesy of DS. Any tips on how to keep it healthy please?
Old 28 Nov 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Arrived home this p.m. to find a beautiful healthy Poinsietta in the hall courtesy of DS. Any tips on how to keep it healthy please?
Alan TiTchmarch was talking about them on the wireless this morning (classicfm You want to get it on catchup) He suggested carrying them from a shop wrapped up as even going outside for a few minutes can kill them. Dont place them on a windowsill or anywhere in either a draught or direct heat but bright area away form radiators. Water them regularly but not excessively and he said they should live until Easter ie April
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Alan TiTchmarch was talking about them on the wireless this morning (classicfm You want to get it on catchup) He suggested carrying them from a shop wrapped up as even going outside for a few minutes can kill them. Dont place them on a windowsill or anywhere in either a draught or direct heat but bright area away form radiators. Water them regularly but not excessively and he said they should live until Easter ie April
Ooh, thanks for sharing all that MF. Gonna get a couple now, probably wouldn't have otherwise.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

They don’t like gas fumes from cooking or gas fires or draughts. I put mine in the kitchen windowsill for plenty of daylight but move them to sideboard in living room when I’m cooking and have the windows open. Keep them well away from radiators and when I water mine I let them sit in water for five minutes and the put them back in their pot. I can keep mine for ever but get fresh ones each year as new growth looks lovely but the older stems get woody. You have to give them twelve hours of absolute blackness from September onwards to get them to go red on the leaves, it’s a lot of bother for a plant you can get cheaply. I paid £3 for a big one from Morrison’s and have pink and white ones from The Range £4 each. I’ve still got one from last Christmas but I didn’t bother trying to get it to turn red so it’s a health looking green leaved poinsettia! Can’t bear to part with a healthy plant.

Edited at 07:18 PM.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bartswife View Post
...when I water mine I let them sit in water for five minutes and the out them back in their pot. ...
How often do you water them, please?

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

I tend to do it every 3 days.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

Bought one from Lidl last year I still have it on my kitchen windowsill. It’s green though would like to get it red again
Old 28 Nov 20, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
How often do you water them, please?
When they need it. I pick up the pot and if it feels light give it a drink, probably average couple of times a week. If it just sits in water for a few minutes it will soak up what it wants. I usually buy one of those feeder things that sit in the top of the soil and drip out gradually.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mollybogle View Post
Bought one from Lidl last year I still have it on my kitchen windowsill. It’s green though would like to get it red again
Then need hours of darkness every day from September onwards to get them red for Christmas. Quite satisfying when you see the little leaves developing and they’re red but it takes a lot of commitment, did it once only as they are so cheap and nicer bought fresh every year, I just like a challenge!
Old 28 Nov 20, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MariaLynda View Post
I tend to do it every 3 days.
Thank you!

When they need it..

...I pick up the pot and if it feels light give it a drink, probably average couple of times a week. If it just sits in water for a few minutes it will soak up what it wants. I usually buy one of those feeder things that sit in the top of the soil and drip out gradually.
Thank you!