Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Nov 20, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Poinsettias do not have flowers they have red leaves starved of light.

Disney332
Old 28 Nov 20, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bartswife View Post
Then need hours of darkness every day from September onwards to get them red for Christmas. Quite satisfying when you see the little leaves developing and they’re red but it takes a lot of commitment, did it once only as they are so cheap and nicer bought fresh every year, I just like a challenge!
I would like to buy a new one but it has lasted a year and I feel bad for it throwing it away. But I don’t have the patience either to get it red again
Old 28 Nov 20, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

I've given up on real ones as they always wilted. I now have fake ones from IKEA and garden centre in the sales and bring them out every year
Good luck with yours!

Edited at 08:02 PM.
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bartswife View Post
They don’t like gas fumes from cooking or gas fires or draughts. I put mine in the kitchen windowsill for plenty of daylight but move them to sideboard in living room when I’m cooking and have the windows open. Keep them well away from radiators and when I water mine I let them sit in water for five minutes and the put them back in their pot. I can keep mine for ever but get fresh ones each year as new growth looks lovely but the older stems get woody. You have to give them twelve hours of absolute blackness from September onwards to get them to go red on the leaves, it’s a lot of bother for a plant you can get cheaply. I paid £3 for a big one from Morrison’s and have pink and white ones from The Range £4 each. I’ve still got one from last Christmas but I didn’t bother trying to get it to turn red so it’s a health looking green leaved poinsettia! Can’t bear to part with a healthy plant.

I have a huge green one that I may banish to the darkness to turn it red
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Never mention Poinsettas in our house.

First year married we had NO money, skint, so we "agreed" not to buy each other anything expensive. Or so I thought.

She decides to buy me about 10 presents and thought I was kidding when all i produced was a flippin Poinsetta.

Near 40 years later everytime we see a Poinsetta she gives me a right old look.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

This is last year’s. I kept it going, mainly because I had nothing better to do during lockdown 😂.

At the beginning of Oct I banished it to the downstairs toilet so it gets the 12 hours darkness needed to produce red leaves.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
This is last year’s. I kept it going, mainly because I had nothing better to do during lockdown 😂.

At the beginning of Oct I banished it to the downstairs toilet so it gets the 12 hours darkness needed to produce red leaves.
Thats brilliant, I will have a try with mine.
Old 29 Nov 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

That looks great I may give it a go
Old 29 Nov 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’ve had one for two years now, it lives on the kitchen windowsill and gets watered when I remember or when it looks like it’s dying... quite the opposite of the first few posts on here!

Must be very hardy!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Alan TiTchmarch was talking about them on the wireless this morning (classicfm You want to get it on catchup) He suggested carrying them from a shop wrapped up as even going outside for a few minutes can kill them. Dont place them on a windowsill or anywhere in either a draught or direct heat but bright area away form radiators. Water them regularly but not excessively and he said they should live until Easter ie April
Wow! I’m lucky to keep one alive for a fortnight! Thanks for that. I’ve been holding off buying assuming they’d not last.
I will bite the bullet

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List