Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 16 Dec 19, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Notname
Earning More Ears

Where to stay for a week on Gulf Coast

Hi we’ve booked flights to/from Tampa for Oct 17-31 2020 and are planning to do a week on the gulf coast in a Villa, then 2-3 days at Universal and 3-4 days on the Atlantic Coast (my husband wants to see Daytona).

We’ve been to Florida twice before, the first time 15 hrs ago doing Orlando/Miami/Keys and last time in 2018 with the kids doing just Disney/Orlando. We don’t plan to do Disney this time and I fancy seeing the Gulf Coast so am hoping to get recommendations for somewhere to stay that would be a good base for visiting various towns and sights in that area.

There’ll be four of us, kids are aged 8 and 12. Hoping for somewhere near the beach pref not a city as I’d rather to stay in a smaller resort but with some restaurants and shops nearby. We’ll be happy to drive for days out, so I guess we need to be somewhere that’s not too far out on a limb, ie easy to get to other places. And within a couple of Tampa airport, pref less. I’ve done some research but if anyone can recommend somewhere, either a town/area or specific accommodation, I’d be grateful.

Budget isn’t that high I’m afraid - hoping to rent somewhere with a pool for under £1k for the week if poss. We easily managed that in Orlando but I see prices are (understandably) higher in this area. Condos are obv cheaper but I’d prefer a house with a private pool (I guess this may be out of our price range tho).

I’ll also be looking for ideas for where to stay in the Daytona area, but might tackle that once I’ve sorted this one!

Many thanks
Notname is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninnybobs
Apprentice Imagineer

I can highly recommend Cape Coral for a relaxing break on the Gulf Coast. Stayed there a couple times and love it.
Ninnybobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Notname
Earning More Ears

Thanks, I’ll have a look at Cape Coral. Have also been looking at Anna Maria Island which I thought would be too expensive but otherwise fits the bill, and I’ve seen some properties that we could afford.
Old 16 Dec 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
FloRidaLvr
VIP Dibber

Think you might manage somewhere on AMI for your budget, plus it's a lot closer to TPA . We have rented from annamaria.com for the last 3 years , villa with private pool near the beach and a Publix , lol !
Florida 95 to 2006, Mexico/Belize 2007, Florida 08 to 2012, California Apr 13, Detroit/Florida April 14 , Naples Nov 14, AMI May 15 , Naples Nov 15, West Coast May 16, AMI Nov 16, Naples Nov 17 , AMI May 18, Naples Nov 18, AMI May 19 , Naples Nov 19, AMI May 22, Bonita Springs Nov 22, Bonita Springs May 23
FloRidaLvr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’d avoid Daytona, it’s a bit rough around the edges, at least in the central bit.
Gulf Coast, I have stayed from the panhandle all the way down on many trips, and many nice areas. Naples is perhaps the nicest area South of Orlando, but closer is Indian Shores. I would highly recommend a condo at Barefoot Beach Resort at Indian Shores, it’s very nice there, and reasonably priced. Lots on Homeaway.

Edited at 11:11 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 01:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Notname
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Thanks all, I’ve spent the whole evening looking at villas in the recommended areas! Need a break as they’re all merging into one 😂 Will pick this up again tomorrow 😊
Old 14 Jan 20, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
CRISSY61
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

I would recommend Anna Maria island/bradenton especially with young ones. Many beaches to choose from on the island plus boat trips plus close to mote marine aquarium & myakka river state park. Easy access by amazing Skyway bridge to St Pete beach & the narrow strip to clearwater. We stayed in cape coral last year & whilst enjoyed it relaxing as a couple would not recommend with kids. Beaches much better at Anna maria. But really depends on whether you are looking for attractions or just beautiful beaches & water activities
Old 14 Jan 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Notname
Earning More Ears

Mobile

thanks v much! I’ve actually booked something now, thankfully at Bradenton beach so glad you’re recommending it 😄
Old 14 Jan 20, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
CRISSY61
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Beautiful area-if you need any suggestions for other places to visit please ask 🙂
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
thisismickey
Excited about Disney

Hard to say which is the best place to stay as they are all very nice and have some great arrears.
I would probably say Naples as a base as you could go North or South from there and explore. We stayed at the Cove Inn coveinnnaples/ and will stay there again in May. The beach and Pier at Naples are great, fishing, Dolphin watching and some nice shops and Restaurants. Marco Island, great beaches. Stump pass, Kayaking and paddleboarding hookedonsup/. Anna Maria Island, again great beaches very relaxing, fantastic sunsets. Closer to Tampa is St Petes, treasure Island/Johns Pass johnspassvillage/ . All have nice beaches, sunsets places to shop, fishing and Jet ski and Dolphin Tours. Clearwater, nice Pier, Jet ski, seascreamer/ tour around the bay and Dolphins jumping at the back of the boat, Aquarium where the film "Dolphin Tale" was made and lots of shops etc

Edited at 08:35 PM.
thisismickey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List