Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 15 Jan 20, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Amion68
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile Florida Keys in 4days

A bit off piste for Orlando and the parks I know, but was wondering whether anyone has a recommendations on good family hotels in the keys? Planning on 2 nights in key west plus a night in Islamorada on the drive down. Possibly scope for a 4th night before our flight home from Miami.
Amion68 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

We did this a couple of years ago, we used islamorada as a base, stayed at limetree bay resort, lovely hotel, dinner was had 10mins up the road at m.e.a.t meat etery and taprooms , food was amazing and a man v food and diners drive inn and dives spot. We toured from there and only stayed down 3 nights, should have done a 4th

Some amazing sunsets and an amazing sunrise, just across the road. Hope you enjoy your desission.
Old 16 Jan 20, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Amion68
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by colin39 View Post
We did this a couple of years ago, we used islamorada as a base, stayed at limetree bay resort, lovely hotel, dinner was had 10mins up the road at m.e.a.t meat etery and taprooms , food was amazing and a man v food and diners drive inn and dives spot. We toured from there and only stayed down 3 nights, should have done a 4th

Some amazing sunsets and an amazing sunrise, just across the road. Hope you enjoy your desission.
Wow those pics look stunning. Thanks for sharing. I was considering doing this, partly because hotels in KW see to be so expensive!
Old 16 Jan 20, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes they are expensive , and its not just a short hop from limetree bay, to hey west ut was still over an hour and a halfs drive, but we broke it up with sites either there or back.
We drove up early one morning and stopped at sites on route home one day and vice versa late one day and stopped till late that night.
We also discovered the .99cent big gulp in circle K garages over a ltr of ice cold drink and a keepcold cup for the drive home 🤣😂 simple things that make you happy.

Thank you foe the comment on the photos, some were taken on my dslr, and some were taken on my s8+ samsung phone, its funny i have to look at the pic info to work out which is which.
I hope you enjoy your break, we loved it, this year we are going the other way and doing savannah and georgia cant wait.
Old 16 Jan 20, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

We're doing a little road trip to Key West this August as a wee break from the Mouse and POR.

We've got an overnight in Miami to break up the drive down, and then two nights at the Pier House Resort and Spa, which is practically next (okay, three minutes' walk?) to Mallory Square.

Obviously can't do any photos or impressions 'til August, but really looking forward to it, and will certainly post up on the forums at the time.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Amion68
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
We're doing a little road trip to Key West this August as a wee break from the Mouse and POR.

We've got an overnight in Miami to break up the drive down, and then two nights at the Pier House Resort and Spa, which is practically next (okay, three minutes' walk?) to Mallory Square.

Obviously can't do any photos or impressions 'til August, but really looking forward to it, and will certainly post up on the forums at the time.
Sounds good. We are doing this off the back a a 8 day cruise (and 2 nights in Miami before that).
Not booked the hotels yet but there seems to be a lot of choice on hotels.com etc.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 17 Jan 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
EatandPlay
Apprentice Imagineer
- DIBB Advertiser -

Great idea. And perfect length of time. You'll love it.

One thing I've always wanted to do is buy a couple of cheap fold up chairs at Walmart, and along the way to KW, pull over, park the car on the side of US 1, and just walk out into the shallow waters and plop my chairs down in the middle of the ocean. One day.
Old 17 Jan 20, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Fabulous photos!

Ohhh, we'd love to do this - it's been on our 'to-do' list for a while, more so since we called at Key West as a stop on one of the cruises we did from Miami
Oh wow - that sea is soooo blue, really turquoise-y stunningly tropically blue!

We loved Key West and it has spurred us on for a Keys tour. Loved the chickens roaming the streets! the laid back atmosphere and the look of Margaritaville Resort hotel on the waterfront

Can't fit it in this year - but maybe next year!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
headpin
Getting Excited

We stayed in the Hampton Inn on Key Largo on our way down about 5 years ago. Hotel was fine but what was interesting was the “wildlife” in the parking lot.

headpin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

We stayed at Hawk’s Cay on our way down to Key West.
We all really liked it but I can’t help feeling it might be a bit like Kellerman’s (dirty dancing) when busy? 😬

In Key West we stayed The Southernmost Guest House which I’d definitely recommend. It only has a tiny pool but you’re permitted to use the pool at the southernmost beach resort next door

Edited at 11:33 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List