Notices

Old 23 Aug 15, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

A Complete Novice In New York - Travel Day Part 1, We're Off!

23rd August 2015

Today began with a round of emotional goodbyes to some of the family members who aren't joining us on this trip.

First off we took my Mum, who lives with us, to her sister's where she will be staying while we're away. She would have loved to be at her Grandson's wedding but decided that, at 83, she is just too old to make the journey.

Next we visited my oldest son, Stuart and his family who are also unable to come - with 3 young children he just can't afford it.

It was eventually 2.30pm and time to leave for the station and catch our train to Manchester so we had to say the worst goodbye of the lot - to DH (Mick, Father of the Groom). He decided as soon as the New York wedding was suggested that a city break was his idea of hell and he wasn't coming. So he will be spending the week home alone with the dog - apart from the Wedding Day itself when he will be joined by the Bride's Dad who has also refused to come. We will be Face Timing them on the day so that they can watch the ceremony as it happens.

I was dreading the train journey, with 3 kids, 4 suitcase + hand luggage. We had to change trains twice and then get a taxi to the hotel and I was convinced that someone would leave something on the train or that we'd miss a connection! I've been really stressing about this all week. So I'm pleased to report that we and all our belonging have arrived safely!

The trains were all running on time (for a change) and the journey went as smoothly as I could possibly have hoped for. The only near mishap was when Chloe's suitcase got left on the platform but a fellow traveller shouted after us to ask if it was ours and kindly carried it on board - I don't know who she was but she was a lifesaver.

The taxi from the Airport station cost £6.50 and we arrived at the Premier Inn just after 5pm. Check in was completed very quickly. We had a family room with 2 double beds which I had booked in the sale for £35. It was perfect for what we needed with comfortable beds and a powerful shower. It was spotlessly clean so I have no complaints for the price.

I was slightly disappointed to learn that they don't start serving breakfast until 6.30am which was too late for us as we need to be back at the airport by that time to meet up with the rest of the party. We were therefore unable to take advantage of the meal deal.

We still decided to eat our evening meal at the restaurant and booked a table for 7pm, which was the first available time.

I ordered the chicken and ribs combo.

Dan had an 8oz burger.

Nicola had Hunters chicken

and Chloe the build your own children's pizza.

For dessert I had the berry Eton mess sundae

Dan had the chocolate brownie

Nicola the chocolate ice cream sundae

and Chloe the children's chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

The food was OK. There was nothing wrong with it, it just wasn't anything special. The main problem was the length of time that it took to get served, which was ridiculous. The bill for 4 of us came to £62.89 with drinks.

We are now back in the room and intend to attempt to get an early night so that we can be up bright and early in the morning.

Old 23 Aug 15, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by ally1966 - 23 Aug 15 9:40 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 15, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Buffton
Apprentice Imagineer

Well done for getting there with all your luggage! Hope you manage to sleep a bit this eve!
Safe journey tomorrow!
Lizzie
Buffton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 15, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A great travel day glad you managed it without too much trouble

Joan
Old 27 Aug 15, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Not a bad start, Premier inn food always sounds good on the menu but the reviews are never great. Shame about the breakfast though as that's supposed to be nice.

Great news about the suitcase left on the platform, that would have been a nightmare!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 16, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Great start. We've always had lovely meals at all the PIs we have stayed at. Shame about the breakfast though - at Gatwick they started serving at 5am!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 16, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
mrbigbeak
Excited about Disney

have a great holiday, look forward to more. I love NY