General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 21 Jul 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The Big Apple - with no kids! Nov 2018 - Day 2

Day 2 – Football @ the football factory, Central Park, Empire State Building & Times Square

We had a bit of a lie in this morning and it was well needed. We we’re missing the QPR V Brentford game at Loftus Road which we were gutted about because it’s a big game for us! We had seen on twitter that they were showing the game at the Football Factory which is about a 20 min walk from the hotel, inside a bar called Legends, and shows loads of different games. My parents were in Tenerife so they were missing it too, so my sister took the kids for me and my brother in law & nephew went on my mum & dads season tickets. It was a 3pm kick off here so 10am in NY.
We left the hotel at 9am, stopping at CVS for some water and a cereal bar, again neither of us were massively hungry this time of day! I had fun smelling the Tide detergents as they remind me of Florida so much, Craig thinks I am nuts! We also looked like complete fools, because we used to watch the stupid videos called Magical Trevor which one of the songs was ‘in aisle 2 that’s where you find the ragu’ Totally random but walked down to aisle 2 and what was there? The ragu! I was laughing my head off and we needed to get a pic to send to my sister in law as she is literally the only other person who would get it. It did make my morning but if people were watching I dread to think what they were thinking!

Anyway, amused and content, we walked down to the pub to watch the football, it was just around the corner from the Empire State Building. The show the games downstairs and do food too. Craig had a pint, I had a cuppa and some crisps.

Was a great game with a great atmosphere, got chatting to the local QPR fans and as we won it set us up nicely for the day. People were ordering breakfast, but it was quite expensive at $16pp so gave it a miss. By the time the game finished we finished our drinks and went for a mooch.

We were going to walk towards Fifth Ave and then go to Central Park. We were hungry now and headed for where other than Wendys for a Baconater! We LOVE these when in Florida so had to be done, along with the Baconater Fries! Yum, and just what was needed!

It was a bit nippy today, so we wrapped up, and took a slow mooch down to Fifth Ave. We walked past the Rockerfeller Plaza again, and they we're starting to put the tree up, I was still so disappointed we would miss it!

Sacks 5th Ave was looking really festive aswell!

It was busy as was a Saturday afternoon, so took us ages to get down to where I really wanted to visit, Tiffanys! I know there are Tiffany’s all-around London, and the world but I have wanted to visit the Fifth Ave store since I was a little girl and it was a dream come true.

My sisters and mum in law had given me dollars for my birthday in September, so I wanted to get myself some earrings – the only thing I could reasonably afford lol. I couldn’t believe how big the store was, and over several levels! I would love to go to the Café there one day for actual breakfast at Tiffany’s! We went up to the silver floor and I picked myself some lovely earrings and walked out a very happy Rach!

Tiffanys is right next to Trump towers and I was half expecting a protest but there was just 2 fellas selling anti trump badges, I was slightly disappointed!

We then walked down towards the Plaza Hotel, from Home Alone 2 fame! We had a walk through, and I wanted to go to use the public phones and do the whole ‘Credit card you got it’ line from the film but Craig wasn’t willing to entertain me and security wouldn’t let you near the phones, spoil sports!

We walked through to Central Park and there were so many Horse & Carts around, I did consider it for a short time but the horses all looked so sad and my horse loving daughter would be miffed if she knew I went on a ride with sad looking horses! We walked though Central Park towards the Ice Rink, and over the Gapstow Bridge, where we saw a couple getting married, it was a lovely atmosphere!

We walked around for ages and passed by the Tavern on the Green which was in the film Mr Poppers Penguins!

Craig then had a bright idea to go and see the Ghostbusters house. I willingly went along with his plan but had no clue what I was looking at….I was looking for a fire station from the female Ghostbusters film, not the original! He was happy though!

We then walked down to the Lincoln Center and got the subway downtown towards the Empire State Building, it was now about 4pm so we wanted to get in the queue for the ESB. We had a walk though Macys for some heating as it was freezing outside, and then headed towards the queue. The queue was huge, and we had some Japanese young adults being a little bit to affectionate right in my personal space which really irritated me. Im all for people being happy and in love but not when you’re treading on my toes lol. We again exchanged our tickets, did a quick pee stop as we had been queuing for a while, and made our way up in the lift to the 86th Floor, where you look at pictures and get another lift up to the 102nd floor. The queue for the lift was 45 mins long, so we had a bright idea to walk up the stairs. Now I can walk miles and be fine, but I have stage 2 heart failure and cardio is not my thing! I got halfway up and honestly thought I was going to pass out, was a bit idiotic of me, but I’m too impatient to be waiting 45 mins for a lift for something I want to do now! We finally made it to the top, I had a to take a few mins (ok 5!) to get my breath back, and to be honest the crowds out on the observation deck were insane.

They really need to investigate limiting how many people they have up there at any one time. I’m not the best with heights as it is, but heights and all those people didn’t make it the best experience for me. The views over the city were incredible though!

I am glad we did it, but next time I would plan it better and maybe go early in the morning like we did at the Rockerfeller. We spent about 30 mins on the upper deck but it got too much for me, so we made our way down.

Down the stairs to the 86th floor. It’s much easier on the way back down than the way up! We stopped at the shop on the 86th floor to get a drink as all that walking had got to me and I had such a dry mouth. We made our way out and found a bench to gather ourselves, or for me to gather myself. We were quite happy chatting and watching the world go by for a while.

We then took a walk down to Times Square to try and find somewhere for dinner and to take in the lights. It was SO busy! We had walked passed it yesterday in the morning and it wasn’t too bad but we both wanted to see it at night. It did remind me of Central London, lots of characters around, people dressed as the Empire State building & SoL, people dressed as Marvel Characters who were charging tourists for photos with them.

I wanted to go into the Disney Store, had a quick look around but it was rammed, so we swiftly left. Hoping to go back the next morning!

I think the crowds with tiredness and getting slightly hangry were kicking in, so we gave up on Times Sq and went to find somewhere to eat. Everywhere looked so busy, we walked around the back of Broadway, and found the Buffalo Wild Wings on West 47th St. That’ll do! We put our names down for a table, and was about a 30 min wait, that was fine, we just needed to sit down and beer was required! We got seats at the bar while waiting for our table, and it was $8 for a pitcher of Bud Light, job done!

We only waited about 20 mins in the end. Service was a little slow, but to be honest I cant say we cared. We were so happy to have a beer in hand and chilled out for the evening! We totally over ordered as we usually do in there! Cheese curds, tater tots, boneless sweet BBQ wings, and parmesan garlic wings. Plus another pitcher of beer. All was right in the world! No idea how much it was, I don’t think we cared after 2 pitchers of beer!

We left full and happy at about 9.15pm, and walked back towards Times Sq to get the Subway back to the hotel. We got back at about 10.15 and both collapsed in a heap on the bed. We had walked so much, and my fitbit told me I was at 25,417 steps for the day. Wayyyyyy more than I am used to doing!

Other than not enjoying the craziness of Times Sq and the ESB, we had a really lovely day with lots of funny moments included….we put Netflix on to watch some more of The Good Place, but I don’t think we even watched 5 mins!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Another busy NYC day!

Really making me want to go back!
Old 15 Sep 19, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

I am so looking forward to our trip!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by darbs View Post
I am so looking forward to our trip!
Aww not long to go now! We did have an amazing time, itching to go back but have 2 Florida trips booked so wont be for a few years! Have a fab time! Thank you for reading

NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Another busy NYC day!

Really making me want to go back!
Was a great day thank you! Bleeding knackering though

Im dying to go back too, maybe for our daughters 16th in a few years!

Thanks for reading!

Old 12 Oct 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

We're tagging 2 nights in MY at end of Orlando visit. Great trip report and useful for us thx
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List