Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 30 Jul 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

Bear Bums and Dino Bones Road Trip - Day 7 Old Faithful warning photo heavy!

Up and out by 6am this morning, as wanted to get a full day in Yellowstone. We stopped at Willow Flats again and there was already about 20 people there and a ranger. Seems we had just missed a grizzly with a cub who'd been stalking the elk. We stayed about half an hour but the ranger thought the bear was gone because the elk were so relaxed.

We stopped for one last view of the mountains and to get petrol at Colter Bay Village.

But then we had to stop again when I saw the view in the rear view mirror as we got closer to Yellowstone.

Soon as we got inside Yellowstone there was a slightly uncomfortable drive around the edge of Lewis Canyon (edge being the word, no hardshoulder just about 3 inches over the line the road crumbled away, luckily most of the time the drop was hidden by the tops of the trees.) Made 4 very quick stops at Lewis Falls, Kepler cascades, Conteniental Divide then Isa Lake (small but geographically interesting and full of lily pads it sits on divide so drains into both Atlantic and Pacific oceans).

We had breakfast at Grant Village, the first of many 'meh' meals in the park before hitting West Thumb Geyser Basin. It took about an hour to walk round and was a great intro to the thermal features, against the backdrop of Lake Yellowstone.

Finally we got to Old Faithful village and had our first experience of the crowds, taking about 20 mins to find a parking space. The weather had changed, no more blue skies and it was cold, raining on and off. Quickly checked the eruption times at the visitor centre and Old Faithful was due to go in 15 mins. There was already quite a crowd waiting but we managed to find a gap and a seat for Rachel as her back was playing up. It was quite the sight to see and went for about 4 mins.

We walked the 3 miles round trip on the boardwalk around Upper Geyser basin that ends in, to me, the most beautitful geological feature we saw, Morning Glory. I think it was the colours and being close and able to see into the depths, just fabulous!

Along the way we were told the Riverside Geyser was due to go in the next 45 mins so we made ourselves comfortable and just relaxed taking in the scenery. About 20 mins later the indicator started and it erupted. While not as high as some others it's an interesting location and with a lot less people around you could hear it better.

There's something to look at the entire walk with hot springs and geysers in such high concentration. Even when not erupting most of the geysers steam and make little spurts.

Grotto Geyser

After the long cold walk we felt we deserved a treat so grabbed ice cream at the general store before heading to Fairy Falls trailhead for the Grand Prismatic Overlook. It's really weird, as you're driving to the car park you can see the steam coming off Grand Prismatic and you can see the colours muted in the steam, but I have no idea how that's possible!
This is meant to be one of the busiest car parks in the Yellowstone so I was dead impressed to find a spot straight away. It's only 1.5 miles roughly there and back but half of is it quite steep, on rough ground where it's steep but it's so worth it!

Plan was to make our way back to Old Faithful as we had a cabin booked at the Snow Lodge when we spotted cars pulled off and the people had walked over to the river bank, so of course we followed. It turned out to be a big bison on the other side of the river. Walking back to the car, taking a bit more notice we discovered what we thought was a puddle was actually a hot spring bubbling away.
You really need to check where you're walking!

As we were driving past Biscuit Basin, the car park was pretty empty so it seemed an ideal time to stop. I think the rain and cold had chased people off plus it seemed a running theme that people disappear at about 5-6pm for dinner. So glad we did there was 2 bison warming themselves on the hot spings.

We got as far as Sapphire Pool when it started to hail and the wind really picked up. On a raised boardwalk that was suddenly slippery with boiling water either side,no barriers, it definitely got the adrenline going.Strange as it sounds we quite enjoyed the experience.
A mum and little kid was walking in front of us, the wind caught the kid and if the mum hadn't grabbed the hood on the girls coat it would have been very nasty. A few times we had to stop ourselves when the wind got bad to keep our balance.
Sapphire Pool

Back at the hotel we checked in to our cabin. It's not the prettiest area nor are the outside of the cabins. It's actually 'half' a cabin as well. The inside is actually very clean and modern looking, like any midrange hotel. Rachel had a quick nap while I repacked the suitcases.

About 7pm we went out to get dinner, my original plan was to eat at the bar in Old Faithful Inn and have a look round it. For the Disney fans, the Inn is what inspired Wilderness Lodge at WDW. The plan did not work out as the menu had changed so we ended up at the Geyser Grill in Snow Lodge. Burger and chips, how wrong could it go? Who needs food anyway
Old Faithful was due to go in half hour so back to
Old Faithful Inn we go, my job is to get the hot drinks (Huckleberry Mocha yum!) and Rachel's job to go find seats on the balcony with a view of the eruption. I got the drinks but Rachel was hanging around the door to the balcony. It's snowing and not just a little!

Face blacked out to protect the innocent

I grabbed a bench under the roof with a great view so we sit, shivering, clutching the hot drinks and wait. Lots of other people turn up and there's a quite a buzz, no one was expecting it to snow. Its the day before Summer Solstice! I can't deny the geyser basin looked beautful in the snow. Off Old Faithful went and I'm not sure if it was the angle or the snow but it left a bigger impression this time. A wonderful end to our first day in Yellowstone.

kirstenjet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Can't believe the business of the water. Morning Glory looks like you're peering into another world! Great day 😁

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

woohoo I found your trip report ! what a great adventure !
mickeymouseears is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List