Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 26 Jul 19, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

DAS pass - Idiopathic Anaphylaxis

Does anyone know if it’s worth me applying for a DAS pass at Disney.

I suffer Idiopathic Anaphylaxis and one of my triggers is heat and stress, and I carry epi pens, liquid anti histamine and inhaler if it’s needed. It varies from mild to severe reactions.

I visited Disney for the first time last year and didn’t know this existed but I just used my three fast pass and left the park afterwards as it was too hot for me to stand in the stand by queue if it as over 30 mins and we couldn’t get any more fast passes.

It’s not a big deal if I can’t, we managed last time without it, i just didn’t know this existed, it was a work colleague that mentioned I might benefit from it.

Thanks
Fiona35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Yes you would, just ask at guest services and they will add to your magic band/ticket

Edited at 06:00 AM.
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you 😀

Do you know if just having a consultants letter identifying my issue with my plan of action will be enough proof or do I need a letter from my GP as well?
I'm presuming you just go to Guest Services and ask if you could apply for one and give them the reason / proof why you think you would benefit?

I'm sorry to ask so many question but I've never asked for anything like this, even now I feel guilty asking my it about it when there are other people who are worse off than me.
Fiona35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

They wont look at letters or proof they re not allowed.
Xx
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 06:01 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fiona35 View Post
Thank you 😀

Do you know if just having a consultants letter identifying my issue with my plan of action will be enough proof or do I need a letter from my GP as well?
I'm presuming you just go to Guest Services and ask if you could apply for one and give them the reason / proof why you think you would benefit?

I'm sorry to ask so many question but I've never asked for anything like this, even now I feel guilty asking my it about it when there are other people who are worse off than me.
They are not allowed to look at any letters x
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

Not entirely sure id want to risk death if Heat is such an issue for you?!
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lemmonie View Post
Not entirely sure id want to risk death if Heat is such an issue for you?!
I guess I am one of the lucky ones whose anaphylaxis at the moment doesn’t affect my breathing, I just get hives, swelling in my body and face but it’s never been in my throat and my BP drops causing me to pass out.
It’s taken years to work out what can trigger it and they are not entirely certain heat does as it doesn’t happen all the time when I’m in the heat.
In the meantime I follow my consultant’s advice and he said to not let this rule my life so I don’t let it and carry on as normal with medicines to hand if I can feel a reaction coming on.
Old 31 Jul 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Fiona35 View Post
I guess I am one of the lucky ones whose anaphylaxis at the moment doesn’t affect my breathing, I just get hives, swelling in my body and face but it’s never been in my throat and my BP drops causing me to pass out.
It’s taken years to work out what can trigger it and they are not entirely certain heat does as it doesn’t happen all the time when I’m in the heat.
In the meantime I follow my consultant’s advice and he said to not let this rule my life so I don’t let it and carry on as normal with medicines to hand if I can feel a reaction coming on.
Ahh! My bad. I always thought anaphylaxis to be when the throat becomes restricted (swelling) hence the death bit 😲 Mind you it still sounds terrible ☹️
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 23, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunshineface
New Poster (4)

Fiona I would love to know how your application turns out as my son has the exact same diagnosis. His is spontaneous - consultant has run many tests to no avail and he has been admitted to hospital several times. Same as yours we follow the advice to not let it limit our lives and my sons consultant is very much for us going to Disney!
Sunshineface is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 23, 03:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

My daughter qualifies for DAS because of her autism but did have an Idiopathic Anaphylaxis diagnosis until last year. Luckily heat has never been one of her triggers since we live in Florida now!

Her diagnosis has been changed to Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. Her old pediatric allergist suspected it but would not formally diagnosis it because we could never catch it in blood or urine tests. It is notoriously difficult to do so. Her new adult one was happy to go by symptoms instead. He has prescribed monthly Xolair injections that have reduced her EpiPen use enormously. The injections are actually licenced for hives and asthma but they are now finding it works for MCAS as well. It might be worth looking into MCAS as Idiopathic Anaphylaxis is such a frustrating diagnosis. The Xolair is so much safer for her than relying on EpiPens every few months.