Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jul 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

This is from the diabetes uk website
When followed well, a ketogenic diet is a very nutritious diet. It should be based around real foods with a strong vegetable intake, particularly leafy greens.

The aim of ketogenic diets is to allow ketosis to happen through the day. Ketosis is the process of burning body fat for energy and, for this to happen, insulin levels in the body need to be low.

So, by sticking to foods that won’t cause a surge of insulin, you give your body a chance to go into ketosis and burn body fat.

There is quite a lot of information on that website OP
also check out the carb manager app
Sunset girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
These macros just seem so unbelievably unhealthy to me
It depends on what you eat. For instance, chia seeds are low carb due to their high fibre content but are also high in healthy fats. The same with olives, avocados and nuts, especially walnuts, plain greek yoghurt, almond and coconut flours, wild salmon, sardines as an example. You can get to your fat macros without touching a piece of bacon or sausage which is what most people think of when they think low carb.

Lower carb veggies come in all the colours of the rainbow. All bell peppers, dark, leafy greens, cruciferous like broccoli and cauliflower, radishes, summer squash, courgette, pumpkin, and berries like raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries.

It's not for everyone but it's by means an unhealthy way of eating.
angelbabe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mr_fenda
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Keto works because it cuts out calories from carbs so you are in a caloric deficit. If you cut out fats or sugar etc etc you’d be in a caloric deficit
Going into ketosis is not healthy for the body

medicalnewstoday/articles/324237.php

Carbs are a macro nutrient needed for the body

You need to eat proper foods, exercise and create caloric deficit. Diets like this and others where you have no idea of the amount of calories you are putting in y Ur body create short term fixes but are no sustainable in the long term

Also, 1800 calories a day or 1200 or 1500 is a one size fits all approach. Some people need a lot more calories than others to lose weight.
Ketogenic and Ketoacidosis are two different things.The ketogenic diet is dangerous if your a diabetic as it can lead to ketoacidosis.Ive been doing keto for 8 months.Have lost four stone in that time and all my blood work and check ups with a doctor confirm that the diet is working wonders.My blood pressure is significantly improved,cholesterol levels are lowest they have ever been.Its cleared my psoriasis,and have so much more energy.Yes I do track my calories(which I know a lot of people find difficult)and work out 4 times a week.i eat “proper food” as you said,but the food I eat I just stay under 20g of carbs a day.I don’t look at it as a diet,it’s just part of my life now,and in turn has made my life a whole lot better
mr_fenda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List