Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jul 19, 03:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Fan
Proud to wear my Ears

Hi there everyone,

I admit I haven't read every post on this one, but if the actual central issue here is "driving back, as DW has to resume her duties at School the following day?"... then is the solution to that not in your own hands?... and return a day earlier?

Paul
Orlando Fan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Plonks
Trainee Dibber

Plonks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We alway fly direct, mostly from Manchester > MCO and we stay the night before at the airport to extend the holiday as much as possible 😉 we have done Manchester to Sandford twice with no problems. DW doesn’t travel well so no connections for us.

Paul
Plonks is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
Does anyone look at any other options except for VA or TC direct from Manchester? Even driving to other airports?

Stuck to school holidays and looking at May next year... flights prices have gone up again since first released (already were very high)... I am sure this will change as times goes on but as stuck to dates kinds of limits us.

So wondering what other options?

Drive down to Gatwick (from Liverpool) were flights are better priced (650pp) but not sure on the 4hr drive back up after the flight back.

Via Dublin and clear US customs there. Can get a flight from Liverpool To Dublin. Flying with Aer Lingus (not flown with them before but will be later this year to NYC)

Or any other in-direct options?

Looking for ideas... or is it just a case of waiting and we will probably see the prices come down for direct MAN-MCO.

Thanks
We mostly fly from Gatwick-we live in Yorkshire. Even with getting the train down and a night in premier inn, it has proved cheaper for us.
Old 14 Jul 19, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Orlando Fan View Post
Hi there everyone,

I admit I haven't read every post on this one, but if the actual central issue here is "driving back, as DW has to resume her duties at School the following day?"... then is the solution to that not in your own hands?... and return a day earlier?

Paul
The answer clearly is that yes it is, but I suspect it's not that easy and has already been looked at. The value proposition may make it a non starter. All of these options of different airports, dates and routes are compromises between convenience, cost and affordability.
These are then different for everyone based on our own individual attitudes and personal tolerances and of course where you are based in the country.
Old 14 Jul 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
kempydee
Being a bit Goofy

kempydee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

We always fly from Manchester direct as we are in Yorkshire.
However to fit in with school holidays last year (had to be back by 31st Aug) we flew Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale. It was either that or we didn’t go.

Saved a small fortune doing it that way with Norwegian. However the drive back from Gatwick to Yorkshire in the car was a killer.
We both took turns to drive but the kids also said it was just too long after a long flight.

This year we are back to Manchester direct to MCO with Thomas Cook. Paying same as I did last year. Got a bit of leeway this year with term dates being back 4th Sept. Personally though we found the travel too much with kids.
kempydee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

To me it is not the price which is at issue but rather the fact that there are a lot more destinations we may want to visit flying from LGW but the effort of getting the train (with all the changes) driving or flying to LHR and getting the coach is not worth it especially if it is for a week to 10 days holiday.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazascouser
Apprentice Imagineer

Mazascouser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
If you don’t want to drive from Sandford book a transfer, we booked a package a few years ago and got a free transfer to Disney and then went again to IDrive and paid for a transfer (think it was £25 each return). Friend of mine has been going on a few holidays from the Midlands airports recently as they are cheaper and it takes as long as Manchester to drive there.
Mazascouser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We done all options:

Drove down to Gatwick and then flew to Miami and had to drive 4 hours back on return- it was our worst ever trip, absolutely knackering and wouldn’t do it again. On the way you are excited and it’s fine but on return let’s face it you just want to get home!

- flew BA from MAN via Heathrow to Miami again. Much easier even with the 3 hours drive on the other end. At least you get home quicker

- Flying direct with TC this year and obviously cannot wait, no messing around.
2016 Disney - LBV
2018 Universal - Pointe Orlando
Kinggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mrs rcch
Imagineer

What about flying into Tampa, and an Uber back to Orlando ?

Also have you looked at Doncaster/Sheffield, I know they have started flying to Orlando, but a I don’t know when they start in the year
mrs rcch is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile

Originally Posted by Orlando Fan View Post
Hi there everyone,

Paul
Not sure this is the central issue. Really looking for other options that maybe MAN direct due to prices. We would always pay up but things change slightly when there is another seat needed (albeit did it this year with VH).

Anyhow, we could come back the day earlier but we are only getting away for 9 nights so making the most of the full time we have.

I would rather pay the MAN prices and still have the 9 nights instead of reducing the holiday time for the sake of the drive back.