Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jul 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
PixieFairies
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. I have zero knowledge about these things you are posting about.

However I know a good deal when I see one! The Amazon prime sale started at Midnight. 32% off Garmin and 27% off Versa plus loads of other makes discounted.

Maybe worth a look.
Thank you i'll go check those out
PixieFairies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PixieFairies View Post
I was hoping if possible to not use phone, but i guess if smart watch has gps, it would still need connection to internet right? So id still need to bring phone with me then?
gps and internet access are different things... if your phone doesn't have internet access due to poor mobile signal, then gps will still allow it to track your movements, but it won't be able to upload your trip to strava or whatever until you get back somewhere with a mobile/data connection

use of GPS (satellite positioning) is free and doesn't require an internet connection. cheaper smartband devices with GPS may not have or need internet access. they rely on your phone for that sort of stuff. so you listen to music and stuff on the local storage that youve already copied to it, but you wont be able to stream new stuff (like via spotify) unless you have your phone with you and paired.

does that make sense?
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
quiddity
Apprentice Imagineer

quiddity's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Im knew to all this fitness tracker & smart watches etc. I went walking last week & brought my phone, i had fitness pal running on it, to track my location and Kms walked, this was without music & completely drained my battery after an hour & half walk.
I was hoping if possible to not use phone, but i guess if smart watch has gps, it would still need connection to internet right? So id still need to bring phone with me then?
GPS doest use your internet. It's free & it'll track your location so when you get home connect to the Internet & it'll then load the GPS data onto a map. This should save mot eof your phones battery so have a go at it first.

The mi band 4 have also has a heart rate monitor so tracks that as well. I have it linked to myfitnesspal & Google fit apps & it works really well.
7/2/12-9/2/12 cheyenne DLP for 1st time!
28/09/12-12/10/12 clarion inn LBV again again!
quiddity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

Thanks, I think that’s exactly what I’m looking for. Something to work remotely off the phone
If you have the type with cellular connection this can be used completely independently of the phone. It basically becomes a separate phone, especially if you connect some Bluetooth headphones.

But in my opinion this is over kill. I have the series 2 with no cellular connection. It does mean i have to take my phone with me to run but i just strap it to my arm and forget about it. But GPS is built into the watch and does save battery on the phone. If you are not bothered about music it will track the run without your phone. I use Spotify which i can control with my watch so no need to get out the phone can just change track and volume on the phone.

The gps means it tracks where you walk or run isn’t it? How do you get it to show on your phone, the route you just took?
Yes the gps tracks runs or walks this is done via the app on he phone and watch. I have attached a picture of what it looks like. The watch is much better for tracking steps than the phone alone. The app is actually quite simple once you have time to mess with it and set up how you like. I actually find it quite encouraging.

I would also recommend series two and above because these are fully water proof so if you get caught in the rain you have no worries. Also it can be taken swimming which a lot of smart watches cannot.

Like i said their are a lot of great smartwatches out there especially some of the one mentioned. but if you have an iphone you really should get an apple watch to get the best out of it. It also supports apple pay which is great.

Just be prepared to charge it every night.

P.S. what ever you choose i would suggest avoiding anything with only an ip67 or ip68 water rating. You really need 5ATM or more especially with the weather in this country.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon

Edited at 05:44 PM.
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

Im knew to all this fitness tracker & smart watches etc. I went walking last week & brought my phone, i had fitness pal running on it, to track my location and Kms walked, this was without music & completely drained my battery after an hour & half walk.
GPS tracking does not need connection to internet. It works completely buy its self. You may need internet to to work some of the more advanced features but simple tracking requires no internet.

just like a sat nav in your car. Without data connection you can still plan routes and it will direct you turn by turn. With data you will receive traffic updates and possible better accuracy regarding arrival time.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

Although it goes against my original recommendation regards waterproof ratings. I have heard really good things about the amazfit bip.

The battery life is out of this world compared to the apple watch. It made by xiaomi as well which i believe some one else has already recommended. Unfortunately it is only ip67 rated which is equivalent to sweet and not much else. But the price is only 50 odd pounds on amazon.

I just don't like using android software with apple and vice versa. I have nothing against android it is good stuff my wife has a pixel 3 which is awesome. but again to get the best i think android with android and apple with apple.

Old 16 Jul 19, 06:12 AM  
Link to this Post
quiddity
Apprentice Imagineer

quiddity's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by w513mfs View Post
Although it goes against my original recommendation regards waterproof ratings. I have heard really good things about the amazfit bip.

The battery life is out of this world compared to the apple watch. It made by xiaomi as well which i believe some one else has already recommended. Unfortunately it is only ip67 rated which is equivalent to sweet and not much else. But the price is only 50 odd pounds on amazon.

I just don't like using android software with apple and vice versa. I have nothing against android it is good stuff my wife has a pixel 3 which is awesome. but again to get the best i think android with android and apple with apple.
It was me! LOL the amazfit bip is a xiaomi. They make very high quality stuff. My headphones & mobile are xiaomi (as was my mobile before). I'm the work geek & have encouraged colleagues to purchase their phones as well as about 10 now using the mi band 2! They all love them.

The bip does have GPS unlike the mi band 4, however this is 5 ATM, waterproof to 50 meters & at half the price.

What I also love about the mi bands is that you can change the band so easily (it just pops out) & they only cost 99p off ebay! Loads of different colours & patterns to chose from.

1 problem I had with fitbits & Microsoft bands was the nickel in them. Both reacted with my skin causing burns & the bands & metal on both bubbled & fell apart.
I have had no issues what so ever with the xiaomi mi bands.
7/2/12-9/2/12 cheyenne DLP for 1st time!
28/09/12-12/10/12 clarion inn LBV again again!
quiddity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Hotlush
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
My eldest keeps eyeing up my fitbit versa so I ordered her one for her birthday next month, there are actually a few things on the prime deals I'm interested in... Got to stop looking lol
I preferred the look of the versa over the ionic but I had so many issues with GPS I ended up returning the versa and getting an ionic.
The versa uses the gps on your phone, it isn't built in, and it is really flaky.
Most of the time you struggle to get them to connect, when you do it rarely stays connected.
Huge thread on fitbit forums about it and as far as I'm aware it's still not fixed.
Hotlush is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 19, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieFairies
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone, im still trying to decide. But more gearing towards the apple watches. Just need to get my head around it all first.
PixieFairies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List