Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jul 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Robin3
Getting Excited

Buying duty free & then boarding a second flight

We are travelling to Florida but on 2 flights, the first to Philadelphia & then onto Miami, we will of bought perfume & usually a bottle of wine in Manchester airport (as we staying the night in Miami airport hotel before a drive the next day) as we have to reclaim our baggage in Philadelphia & check bags in again what do you do with the wine?
Robin3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Assuming there'll be Security to navigate before boarding to Mia; to avoid confiscation at Security I suggest placing all duty free over 100ml in your hold luggage before returning for your onward flight.

Have a smashing holiday
Old 17 Jul 19, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
dannybegood
Trainee Dibber

Research STEB bags.
dannybegood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Markpc2013
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m not sure if you’ll go through security again at PHL but if you do, just put it in your hold luggage. Worst case as long as it’s in a sealed duty free bag and you have the receipt, you’ll be fine taking it through security in your hand luggage.
US 192 - Feb 1994; I-Drive- Feb 07; Fairfield Inn - June 10; Oakpoint Circle V - June 11; Homewood Suites - July 12; Calabay Parc V- June 14; Esprit Estates V - June 15; CBR - April 16; Hyatt Place, Drury's & Bridgewater V - Sept 16; CBR & V US27 - Apr 17; Eagle Pointe V - Nov 17; Lindfields V - Apr 18; Pop C- Nov 19; Universal & Cruise - Feb 20; Rosen Inn & PB- Nov 21; H2S I-Drive - Apr 22; SSR & HI S535 - Sept 22.
Markpc2013 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Markpc2013 View Post
I’m not sure if you’ll go through security again at PHL but if you do, just put it in your hold luggage. Worst case as long as it’s in a sealed duty free bag and you have the receipt, you’ll be fine taking it through security in your hand luggage.

Not sure what the rules are but my Duty Free - in sealed transparent bag with receipts, was confiscated in Manchester at security before boarding our flight to Dublin.
In USA, we fly from Dublin, so no second security - and we had some Duty Free confiscated in JFK despite being told in the airport that it would be OK. So no Duty Free as we don't see the luggage again.

Just my experience - others may have a different one.
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Wouldn’t chance the sealed duty free bag. Saw loads of people with them getting confiscated in Heathrow recently. Put them in your hold luggage and it’ll be fine.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Markpc2013 View Post
I’m not sure if you’ll go through security again at PHL
they will.

to explain (sorry for the technical stuff, hope it helps DIBBers wondering about flying indirect)

When flying indirect through a US airport (unless there is preclearance at the departure airport like in DUB) you go through immigration at the connecting airport (here PHL) then collect luggage, then go through Customs, then need to drop off bags at the connecting flight counter/belt

the connecting flight counter or belt is outside of the "sterile" zone, so basically it's like you have exited the airport (immigration is "airside", connecting flight counter is "landside"

Security needs to be cleared again.

on the way home, security does not have to be cleared again, because you don't have the opportunity to access your luggage or to be in contact with anyone that has not been cleared by security. (this is not necessarily true, since at some airports, you might need to change terminal using non "sterile" areas, such as JFK where if you need to take airtran, then security is cleared again)

Edited at 09:12 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
they will.

to explain (sorry for the technical stuff, hope it helps DIBBers wondering about flying indirect)

When flying indirect through a US airport (unless there is preclearance at the departure airport like in DUB) you go through immigration at the connecting airport (here PHL) then collect luggage, then go through Customs, then need to drop off bags at the connecting flight counter/belt

the connecting flight counter or belt is outside of the "sterile" zone, so basically it's like you have exited the airport (immigration is "airside", connecting flight counter is "landside"

Security needs to be cleared again.

on the way home, security does not have to be cleared again, because you don't have the opportunity to access your luggage or to be in contact with anyone that has not been cleared by security. (this is not necessarily true, since at some airports, you might need to change terminal using non "sterile" areas, such as JFK where if you need to take airtran, then security is cleared again)
The above is spot-on for what will happen on an indirect journey to MCO connecting via a US airport.

To the OP (& other Dibbers) - once you have exited the Customs Hall you should be able to find somewhere to one side to open your hold luggage and insert any duty-free purchases over 100ml before you drop the bags for the onward flight to MCO at the connections counter / bag belt. All the hold luggage will be screened by the TSA behind the scenes before it makes it onto the onward flight.

When flying home indirect, you can only buy duty free at your last US airport, i.e. not Orlando. This is because most US airports do not segregate domestic & international passengers - hence why you buy your duty free and it's taken off you at the counter & you're given a receipt. You claim your purchases as you board the international flight, i.e. as you are leaving the USA. Because of this process there is normally a time cutoff for duty free purchases (e.g. 60mins before departure) so all the duty free bags can be taken to the gate before boarding begins. If you have a tight connection to your international flight out of the USA you may have missed the cutoff for duty free in the terminal.

You can, of course buy duty free onboard your homeward international flight. In the case of Virgin, more than a few of their prices are cheaper than in the terminal (in the case of MCO duty free).
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
gemma-lou
Imagineer

gemma-lou's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Mobile

I was asked once if I’m on a connecting flight, o asked no why, she said oh just to know if I have to seal the bag or not
2008 - enclave suite - 2010 All Star Sport - 2017 Avanti Resort - 2018 Royal pacific and miami - 2022 Polynesian and Royal Pacific - - February 2024 family trip to Universal Dockside - November 2024 Universal Aventura & CSR DisneyWorld
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/signaturepics/sigpic28388_47.gif
gemma-lou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by carolmc View Post
Not sure what the rules are but my Duty Free - in sealed transparent bag with receipts, was confiscated in Manchester at security before boarding our flight to Dublin.
In USA, we fly from Dublin, so no second security - and we had some Duty Free confiscated in JFK despite being told in the airport that it would be OK. So no Duty Free as we don't see the luggage again.

Just my experience - others may have a different one.
I concur Carol, 13 years ago I came close to losing a gift bought for a friend (large bottle of Flowers by Kenzo). Purchased LHR airside, EDP/receipt placed in a duty free sealed bag. At Dulles security a young lad did a very thorough check, he appeared to be looking around for a 2nd opinion, I fair begged him not to confiscate, babbling it was a gift. Luckily, he eventually placed it back in my tray, boy was I relieved. Never made that mistake again