Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 May 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

Any Camp America parents?

DS19 is off on Saturday for 3.5 months. He is at a camp in Texas and then travelling. He hopes to go to LA and New York. I am so proud of him for doing all of this himself and having the guts to do ( I know I wouldn’t have had at his age). However, I am really going to miss him. DH works away Monday to Friday at the moment and DS23 is at uni so it has been him and me for a while. I am going to miss my buddy
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Mine is off to Maine in 3 weeks, will be very strange without her. Not really sure what she needs to pack though other than clothes and she doesn’t have a clue either.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

If she is with Camp America there is a suggested packing list on their site. DS’s camp have suggested loads of things. They seem to have lots of theme days so fancy dress has been required. Other suggestions were 2 towels, 1 for showering and 1 for outside.
WDW All Stars Music 2008
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

My daughter went to pinecliffe camp in Maine last year and had a fantastic time making friends from all over the world who she went travelling with after camp. The only nasty surprise was having to pay 10% tax on all of her earnings - a new rule brought in and retrospectively applied. Your son will have an absolutely fantastic time
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BarrettFamily View Post
If she is with Camp America there is a suggested packing list on their site. DS’s camp have suggested loads of things. They seem to have lots of theme days so fancy dress has been required. Other suggestions were 2 towels, 1 for showering and 1 for outside.
Thank you. She is going with Bunac and apparently she hasn’t had a list but I expect if she actually gets round to reading what she has been sent, she will find something. She is very laid back!
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

My dd is off in a few weeks. She went last year and is returning to the same camp.

She has to fill out a tax form but I don’t think she had to pay anything. Mind you she didn’t earn very much.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
My dd is off in a few weeks. She went last year and is returning to the same camp.

She has to fill out a tax form but I don’t think she had to pay anything. Mind you she didn’t earn very much.
Unfortunately all people on a J1 visa have to pay a minimum 10% tax on all they earned. There used to be a tax free allowance and counsellors would ever have earned enough but that changed . I would think an awful lot of people will be caught out by it.
The payment t had to be made alongside the tax return - not sure what the consequences are of not paying but we didn’t want to take the risk.

irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nre.pdf

campamerica/taxes

Edited at 11:31 PM.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by bluedave View Post
Unfortunately all people on a J1 visa have to pay a minimum 10% tax on all they earned. There used to be a tax free allowance and counsellors would ever have earned enough but that changed . I would think an awful lot of people will be caught out by it.
The payment t had to be made alongside the tax return - not sure what the consequences are of not paying but we didn’t want to take the risk.

irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nre.pdf

campamerica/taxes
Thank you so much for posting this. Camp America did not make this obvious. At least I can warn DS he will get less money than he is expecting.
WDW All Stars Music 2008
Old 16 May 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post

same for my daughter last year but working at Universal...but she ended up with a $300 rebate which she kept in her US account for this year.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Mymemories
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My boys did CA for 4 years both at the same camp as they loved it so much.

In order to save weight in their suitcases I used to buy all their toiletries ie shower gel, toothpaste, shaving gel, deodorant, bug spray and sun screen on Amazon.com about a week before they left and got it shipped direct to the camp. I also bought a blanket for them as well as although CA advises you to take sheets and pillowcase it can get very cold in the evenings at some of these camps early in the season.

The youngest paid tax on his wages last year (the eldest didn’t go)