Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Jul 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

Because we converted our garage we had to buy a shed - it's a big 10 foot one down one side of the house. We are lucky we are detached so have room on both sides between us and the neighbours. We have bits and bobs in the loft and some things in the utility cupboards too.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
KristyA
Excited about Disney

Thanks all, glad you are enjoying the thread! Day 3 progress looks less dramatic but looks like they have been digging up the concrete floor for the water and waste re-routing. They have said the gradient is enough that they can do this under the kitchen floor to the current exit point(?) meaning they won’t have to dig up the driveway. Will post pictures shortly!

Originally Posted by Pinball View Post
Have you looked into epoxy resin floor for the garage/kitchen or covering the kitchen counter with it?
No, will have a look at this! The worktops we are going for are solid surface ones and our builder has recommended mistral.

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. I do like a construction thread! Great early progress, now make sure they keep coming back as builders are tinkers for disappearing for days on end.

How are you managing for a kitchen whilst all this is taking place? So disruptive to lose the kitchen even for a day or two.
So far so good, there has been someone here at 7:30 the first 3 days and yesterday the brickies worked until 7pm to get the wall down. Hopefully they continue to show up every day!

We have a makeshift kitchen set up in the dining room which has the fridge freezer we have bought for the kitchen, one ring plug in induction hob, microwave, kettle and toaster so it’s manageable. We are also getting the utility replaced to match the kitchen but they are leaving that until last so we do still have access to the sink in there in the evenings, though it’s very dusty as you can imagine!

Makeshift kitchen!

Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Brilliant! Can't wait to see the end result. Love these threads... but a question that has always puzzled me with garage conversions. Where do you put all your stuff? We have a quadruple garage full of all sorts of things but mainly items for bf's work/woodworking equipment etc.

We are building an outdoor office for me down the garden and then will be bashing the wall out between the kitchen and my current office to make it a big kitchen/diner.

Eventually we want to go up a floor too (currently a bungalow) but we can't afford that yet but would want a large bedroom and en-suite upstairs. Total new roof so it would be costly.

You have a lovely looking house
Thanks! We can manage with just the one garage for storage I think if we are organised! In preparation for this we moved some stuff in to the loft and also got a garden storage box. We do have room for a shed if we need it in future too.
KristyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by KristyA View Post
Thanks all, glad you are enjoying the thread! Day 3 progress looks less dramatic but looks like they have been digging up the concrete floor for the water and waste re-routing. They have said the gradient is enough that they can do this under the kitchen floor to the current exit point(?) meaning they won’t have to dig up the driveway. Will post pictures shortly!

No, will have a look at this! The worktops we are going for are solid surface ones and our builder has recommended mistral.

So far so good, there has been someone here at 7:30 the first 3 days and yesterday the brickies worked until 7pm to get the wall down. Hopefully they continue to show up every day!

We have a makeshift kitchen set up in the dining room which has the fridge freezer we have bought for the kitchen, one ring plug in induction hob, microwave, kettle and toaster so it’s manageable. We are also getting the utility replaced to match the kitchen but they are leaving that until last so we do still have access to the sink in there in the evenings, though it’s very dusty as you can imagine!

Makeshift kitchen!

Thanks! We can manage with just the one garage for storage I think if we are organised! In preparation for this we moved some stuff in to the loft and also got a garden storage box. We do have room for a shed if we need it in future too.
The dust! Gets everywhere. Your temp kitchen is perfect. No it's not what you would like but hey it's fine for the time being.
Like the flooring in there by the way.

Not as much as I like the fridge, awesome.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
KristyA
Excited about Disney

Day 3

The channel for the water and waste pipes

And looks like they have also been digging down for the external wall foundations (which will replace the garage door)

They may have done more than this today but hard to tell!
KristyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
KristyA
Excited about Disney

The dust! Gets everywhere. Your temp kitchen is perfect. No it's not what you would like but hey it's fine for the time being.
Like the flooring in there by the way.

Not as much as I like the fridge, awesome.
Yes, so much dust!

Thanks! When the kitchen diner is done this dining room will become a playroom for our 1.5 year old, then ultimately a second tv room when she’s older.

My husband thinks the main reason we are doing this was so I could get that fridge freezer.
Old 4 Jul 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
KristyA
Excited about Disney

Day 4

Looks like mainly more drilling today, finishing off the channel for the pipes and also the 2 holes for the steel support. Apparently our concrete floor is thicker than normal so it took a while. I think they are putting the support beam in tomorrow then the brickies said they will work either Sat or Sun as they need to be ready for the joiner coming on Mon. Not sure if that means they need to have all the walls done by then (the wall and window replacing the garage door and also the wall between the 2 garages.)

The steel beam

Edited at 07:54 PM.
Old 4 Jul 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Coming along nicely. Get the builders to get rid of all that plastic monstrosity on the water inlet. That's a disaster waiting to happen sadly.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
KristyA
Excited about Disney

Coming along nicely. Get the builders to get rid of all that plastic monstrosity on the water inlet. That's a disaster waiting to happen sadly.
Yes that should be coming away as the sink is moving from there and there isn’t going to be any units on that wall. I will double check though!
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post

I love your makeshift kitchen. Goodness how organised, I would be on takeaways for a month (or whatever).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
KristyA
Excited about Disney

Days 5 and 6

Steel beam is now up and they have cut back a wall that was between the 2 garages. Place has also been swept up and is looking tidier!

I didn’t take a before picture of this wall but I think it’s at least a third of the length that it was. The new wall that will be between the new kitchen and garage is going just behind this rather than being a continuation of it, which the architect did to give us slightly more space in the kitchen.