Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jul 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
kenzo
Trading Disney Pins

Dogs barking through fence

I have two dogs, mum (5) and daughter (1), both are incredibly well socialized with numerous animals and other dogs on a daily basis, they are placid friendly girls (golden retrievers who typically love everyone)
The problem is my neighbors have now got themselves a dog who as soon as it is let out in the back gardens runs up and down the fence barking, this has now set my girls off into a barking match through the fence.
I go straight out and tell my dogs off and if they do not stop I bring them in, the neighbor will put there dog in the house, but they do not tell it off and its back out in five minutes, the whole process starts again. They have met in the street and the neighbors dogs just barks at my two and they ignore it.

The issue is I am now having to keep my dogs in more and more, which is unfair to them but I am conscious I have two big dogs who bark a lot louder than the little dog. Also I am a bit worried at the ferocity they are now going at the fence to bark back at this dog, I would hate for their fabulous nature be ruined by this little pest, neighbors are quite new to dog ownership and I think that because I am keeping my dogs in the problem is getting resolved They have also mentioned this dog is not friendly at all with other dogs they meet out and about

Any doggy people got any ideas on how to resolve
kenzo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

My mate went through this.. he removed the fence and built wall so the dogs cant see each other. Hes a bricky though...
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We have the same issue with one of next doors dogs 2 never say a word the little nark of a pug is horrendous they are across the drive from us and she still goes at it
She also does it on the fence side they share with another neighbour
Who has a ridgeback
We resorted to a hose if we are on the drive as she starts the minute
Ours goin the garden other side are doing the same
It’s getting better
I’d be having a word though we did and they agree she’s a nark so we are all working on it
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

I love when a dog barks it's being naughty or an pest. Its communicating, just like your dogs are. Some dogs do not get on, just like humans.

Maybe some communication with your next door neirbours (not the blame game) would help. Maybe letting your dogs out a different times would be a solution. Have you spoken to them at all? They may not think it's an issue at all. Have you had any other issues with them? Have dogs lived next door before?
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I am in a similar position but when the neighbours dog starts barking our sap of a Golden Retriever just runs inside ! My neighbour normally stays out with her dog now as he has a habit of squeezing through the fence into our garden where he can then escape out into the street but to be fair she does try and stop him barking.

I don't know if it would help if all 3 dogs ran about in one of the gardens to "meet each other" or maybe take to a local park together but I certainly wouldn't be stopping my dog going out into the garden. They are really just saying hello to each other and as long as the barking on either side is not prolonged and they are not growling or snarling I would't worry.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
kenzo
Trading Disney Pins

they are at the point I actually think they would attack if the fence gave way, we have always had dogs either side of us and they are not bothered, never have been been.
They are let out at 6am when I get up (this is now the only time they get to be in the garden without getting terrorized), we leave the house at 7.30am and I take them to my parents. My mum is a dog groomer and has a building on there property where she grooms dogs, so they meet new dogs daily and they have a normal sniff and walk away or play, they never bark. They go for daily walks to my grandads farm and see all the animals up there daily as well as liveries dogs. I normally get back around 7ish and generally go home around 8ish, so I like to let them have an hour in the garden on a night.
My neighbor who I get along with fine generally works from home, there little dog tends to have the run of there garden all day, they think because I am bringing my dogs in the problem is resolved, I obviously do not mind if they have company over and they are sitting in the garden but i can not keep my dogs in all the time so there has free roam
The dogs have met in the street out the front of our house and the little dog was going crazy, pulling and barking to get at my two, my two just ignored it. I am more concerned now that the `fence barking' is escalating and if they do meet in the street again my two might retaliate
I know I shouldnt have to bring my two in but we have neighbors with small children around us and elderly people, I do have to consider them and the fact that its my dogs barking the loudest
kenzo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Emmie2016 View Post
I love when a dog barks it's being naughty or an pest. Its communicating, just like your dogs are. Some dogs do not get on, just like humans.

Maybe some communication with your next door neirbours (not the blame game) would help. Maybe letting your dogs out a different times would be a solution. Have you spoken to them at all? They may not think it's an issue at all. Have you had any other issues with them? Have dogs lived next door before?
So dogs that don't bark are not well adjusted and insular?
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
So dogs that don't bark are not well adjusted and insular?
Ofcourse not! that's not what I said. So don't put words in my mouth. Barking is communication. How is that wrong?
Old 16 Jul 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

Would some sort of screening help attached to fence so they couldn’t see each other?
Old 16 Jul 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

A conversation with the other owners is the best way to go. No blame maybe just explain your worries. If this does not work maybe some new toys for your dogs. A kong filled with some sort of paste usually does the trick for mine. This may encourage them to ignore the other dogs. But only once they are calm they will then associate the calmness with rewards.

This wont stop the other dog but at least yours will be calm.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon

Edited at 05:27 PM.
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List