Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Aug 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Question Safest way to buy a car from a private seller

I am looking to buy a first car for my son, if I go for a private sale what is the safest way to pay in case there are any issues when I get the car as they’re not going to have a card machine for me to use a credit or debit card? Thanks
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

What protection are you expecting buying privately? Private sales are sold as seen and come with no warranty and little other protection.

On payment terms, a bank transfer would be preferable to cash as you have traceability there, but as you say, a private seller.is unlikely to be able to take card payments.

Good luck with the purchase.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I do a bank transfer, but ensure the car is theirs and check how long they've had it and the V5 is in their name and registered to the address you are visiting (don't meet sellers in car parks or motorway services etc). It's also worth paying to do an HPI check to check it's not on finance or is accodent repaired. Check the service history as well because some people will tell you it has fsh but when you ask to see it they can't find it, or it only has part service history.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I do a bank transfer, but ensure the car is theirs and check how long they've had it and the V5 is in their name and registered to the address you are visiting (don't meet sellers in car parks or motorway services etc). It's also worth paying to do an HPI check to check it's not on finance or is accodent repaired. Check the service history as well because some people will tell you it has fsh but when you ask to see it they can't find it, or it only has part service history.
This.

You need to check it's theirs to sell and no outstanding finance so a bank cannot repossess.

You can check online about an MOT or tax (if they say it has it). A bank transfer at the time and then be given the keys to drive away.

Get them to sign the V5 and give you a receipt.

It will be sold as seen so even if it breaks when you get home there's little you can do.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
pawwavingpuppy
Imagineer

Mobile

Bought a VW van and a jeep in the last 2 months.

Check HPI

Make sure they have the log book

Check how many sets of keys

Any service history available and what receipts are available for parts or repairs.

Check last few MOT's on line this will show any advisories/failures etc.

And I ask why they are selling...

Luckily OH knows his way around cars, and I never pay the full asking price😉

Anything that doesn't sound/feel right walk away.

We pay by bank transfer.
pawwavingpuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

You get a good idea on if the cars been looked after by looking at the previous mots which as already mentioned can be viewed online with just the reg number. Check the car tax online and it will show when the last keeper bought the car. Quite a few cars are bought, hosted up then sold on again 3 -6months later. So has the keeper had the car long?
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List