Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 25 Apr 07, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Let's Eat! - Brown Derby

We have been dining the Derby for years and have always enjoyed the food and the ambience.
Although the dinner menu is more varied and interesting, the introduction of the Fantasmic Dining Package has made the evenings at Brown Derby far too busy for us - we prefer a quieter atmosphere so we choose to have lunch here.
We tend to make our ADR’s once we get to MGM, and though we do have to be a bit flexible with the time we’re seated, we’ve always been able to get a table.
While Paul was making our ressie I popped inside to take a pic before the restaurant was open.

We returned at 12.30 and were seated almost immediately.
Once settled into our cosy booth we ordered some drinks; a Derby Martini for Paul and for me a glass of Chardonnay; Chalk Hill, Imagine Sonoma 04.
My wine was lovely; it was rich and buttery - perhaps a tad heavy for lunchtime though.
Paul’s drink was strong!

There was a new appetiser on the menu, which sounded very ‘us’; Field Greens, Chioggia Beets, Candied Pecans and Midnight Moon Goats Cheese, with Cabernet Vinaigrette.

The ingredients tasted nice and fresh – we just wished there were more of them!
Usually we find there are lots of tasty morsels buried under the leaves, but not today. What you see is what we got!
The beets were so finely sliced they were transparent and there was just a tiny sprinkling of Goats Cheese.
I was also unaware of any vinaigrette dressing - Cabernet or otherwise!
It was disappointing and neither of us would choose it again.

Our server was a bit of a funny one today. One minute he was fawning, and the next he was bordering on belligerent.
He got the job done, but we were not on the same wavelength at all and he kept misinterpreting what I was saying.
I’m not sure that he was doing it purposely, maybe it was a language thing, but I wasn’t very comfortable with his attitude and I found him a bit strange and annoying.
I honestly can’t remember his name, but we called him Mo, because he reminded us so much of Mohamed Al Fayed.
It became a bit farcical and we had to stifle our giggles whenever he appeared - his unpredictable behaviour did at least provide us with a little childish entertainment.

Paul had his favourite Noodle Bowl with Coconut Crusted Tofu, Edamame Beans, Sugar Snap Peas, Mushrooms and Bok Choy in Red Curry Broth.
He loves this dish and really looks forward to it each holiday. It lived up to his expectations and as usual not a scrap was left uneaten.
The tofu is coated in a sweet, shredded coconut tempura batter and deep fried till crispy and even I have to admit that tofu is (quite) nice cooked in this way!

I had New York Sirloin Steak with Three Sauces and Mashed Boniato Potatoes.

Sadly today I got the unlucky steak - you know the tasteless, gristly one
(You can see the long line of gristle in the picture)
I know I really should have sent it back and asked for another one, but I thought the hassle factor outweighed the new steak factor.
I couldn’t be doing with dealing with ‘Mo’ - we really weren’t communicating that well and I had the feeling he would have thought I was just being difficult.
Also, Paul was enjoying his Noodle Bowl so much and I didn’t want to put him off his stride.
The rest of the dish was fine, so I just ate the good bits of the steak and concentrated on enjoying my delicious wine.
We both had a glass of Sequoia Grove, Napa Valley 03, Cabernet Sauvignon and I tell you, it was absolutely divine!

I hope the review doesn’t sound too negative, but to be honest, the meal was a bit of a let down. The measly salad ingredients, gristly steak and a rather weird ‘Mo’ meant that points were lost on both food and service.
Paul’s Noodle Bowl was excellent though, as were the drinks
I know we’ll go back to the Derby – it’ll always be a fave of ours, and we had a brilliant lunch last May - but next time we go to MGM I think we’re ready to try something a bit different.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 07, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Great report and excellent photo's. Its a shame your food was not to good.
Old 25 Apr 07, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks mainecoonlover - I knew I should have had the fish!
Old 25 Apr 07, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thanks for the report Su,

we have only ate here once and it was very, very noisy. We would like to try it again sometime and perhaps would try a quieter lunchtime.

Dawn
Old 25 Apr 07, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post

We love the Brown Derby too. My favourite starter is the littleneck clams (mmm, one of the nicest dishes I have ever had) and the Oriechette for main, followed by the madagascan vanilla creme brulee... deee-lish.

I had that menu picked out a year in advance and it did not disappoint.
Old 25 Apr 07, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Shame about the steak Sue - this is what happened to me at Le Cellier
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 07, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Always a shame when a favourite restaurant disappoints
Old 25 Apr 07, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Sorry you were a bit disappointed Sue.

Glad Paul enjoyed his meal though. The curry broth, is it spicy?
This restaurant is one that DH has always wanted to try so we are doing it this year oop. Hope his steak is better than yours.

Thanks for the report.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 07, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bob_and_Dawn View Post
Thanks for the report Su,

we have only ate here once and it was very, very noisy. We would like to try it again sometime and perhaps would try a quieter lunchtime.

Dawn

Yes I think you'd like it much better at lunch Dawn
If you can ever manage fit it in with all your other yummy plans
Old 25 Apr 07, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Leanne the Noodle Bowl is quite spicy.

I'd say it has a warmth, rather than being hot, but I guess it depends on what you are used to.

Are you going in the evening? - I can't remember as you may have made the odd change - the steak dish looks delish on the pm menu.

I'm sure your hubby will be I really do think I got a duff one this time - it's not the norm.