Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 9 Sep 05, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post

The Vegetarian and the Carnivore! Part Three– Teppanyaki, Brown Derby, Starring Rolls

Teppanyaki - Lunch

In all our visits to EPCOT this was our first ever visit to Teppanyaki in Japan.

As a vegetarian, Paul had always been a bit concerned that the vegetables and the meat would not be cooked separately, as everyone at the table of eight has their food cooked on the big hibachi grill in the centre of the table.
It was not a problem at all though, as the chef said she’d cook all the veggies first, serve up Paul’s food, and then take care of us carnivores. It meant that our meals were staggered slightly, but those grills are hot and it wasn’t long before my food was ready too.

We were both a bit apprehensive about sharing a table with strangers, and that feeling was magnified even further once we were shown to our table.
We were seated in-between a young Filipino couple, with three children under six at on end of the table, and an American lady with her eighty year old mother at the other.
I wasn’t sure that we’d have much in common and that we’d all feel a bit awkward. (And to be honest we did for the first few minutes.)
It wasn’t very long though before the ice was broken, and we were soon chatting away like old friends!
Actually, it turned out that meeting these lovely people really enhanced the whole Teppanyaki experience.
The children were a real joy and the elderly lady (Julie) was hilarious – just like one of the Golden Girls.
We swapped holiday anecdotes, family recipes, and cultural differences/similarities (and of course the Royal family, as Charles and Camilla had just got married)

Ok, back to the food;
We were all given a little dish of pickled seaweed, which we both loved even though it looked a bit odd.
For an extra dollar (?) we were offered a small mixed salad with a tangy ginger dressing (I must get the recipe).
I must say I’m certainly glad we had the salad, as it helped to stop our tummies from rumbling and our mouths over-watering, as our senses were stirred by the sight and aroma the food that was being skilfully cooked before our eyes.
It was fun to watch the chef practise her nifty knife-work as she confidently chopped and sliced the ingredients - besides entertaining us with a few well rehearsed party tricks.

Paul had Yasai - a combination of mushrooms, onions, courgettes, carrots, bean sprouts and noodles (see plate pic)
I had Tori, which was the same as above with the addition of chopped chicken breast.
Also, we each had bowl of plain steamed rice and a couple of dipping sauces.

Our meal was very enjoyable; although essentially the food tasted comparable to the kind of stir fry I frequently prepare at home (But maybe that’s a good thing)
The ‘show’ and the company are an integral part of the experience here, and we certainly weren’t disappointed in any way.
We had a most memorable lunch here, and I’m pleased we decided to give it a try at long last.

Hollywood Brown Derby - Lunch

I’m pleased to tell you that we enjoyed yet another fantastic meal at out favourite MGM eatery.

I started with a new addition to the menu - Honey-Chipotle Bacon.
This was a delicious morsel of marinated pork, slow-roasted and frequently basted with honey and spices. The tender meat just melted in my mouth and was perfectly complemented by the refreshing, light vegetable and papaya rolls. The sauce, which was both sweet and incredibly fiery, lifted the whole dish even further and I rapidly found myself ascending taste bud heaven! Can you tell how much I adored it? I hope it’s still on the menu. I can’t wait to sample it again!

Paul ordered the Portobello Mushroom Raviolo.
Paper-thin pasta encased the robust mushroom and goat’s cheese filling. It was well balanced by the rich tomato, fennel and basil sauce and a drizzle of aged Balsamic vinegar.
I knew he loved it, as all I could hear for the next few minutes was ‘Mmmm….. Mmmm…..’

For main course I had the legendry Cobb Salad and Paul had his favourite Thai Noodle Bowl with Coconut-crusted Tofu.
Both dishes were prepared to the fine standard that we have previously enjoyed.
I haven’t posted pics of these, as they can be seen in my other reports.

We had a most impressive server, Jason O. He was so engaging and clearly enjoys his career. He obviously has a genuine appreciation for food and was extremely knowledgeable. We had a fascinating chat about the Food and Wine Festival and the restaurants he’s enjoyed eating in at WDW.
We’ll ask for Jason O to be our server when we return to the Brown Derby in October – for return we shall!

Still miss the piano player!

If you are in the mood to take away a tasty snack, there are some appetizing offerings to be had at the Starring Rolls Bakery. They have a variety of sandwiches, cakes and pastries and serve hot and cold beverages. There are some tables and chairs on a little patio outside. It’s right next door to the Brown Derby.

Edited at 06:13 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 05, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Another great report. I love talking with people from other countries and what an excellent way to do it.

All the food pics look wonderful but especially like the last one of the cakes

Caron
Old 9 Sep 05, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mmmmmmmmm you make it all sound so wonderful

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 05, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Sue just one word... Fantastic.

Bob
Old 9 Sep 05, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Very true, Caron. I was sitting next to the Filipino couple (wife next to me, couple of children, husband, other child) and they were really friendly, after an initial shyness. It's amazing how easy it is to talk when you are relaxed around food. And for anyone that hasn't tried it and thinks it would be difficult, there is always Disney in common to talk about!
Old 9 Sep 05, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
It all looks absolutely scrummy

Clare
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 05, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
gala
Imagineer

gala's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 336
Fab photos again Sue. I am looking forward to trying the Cobb Salad.
What did the servers in Starring Rolls say when you starting taking photos! ? I do love to relax there over a cuppa.

Margaret

1999 - All Star Music
2001 - Quality Inn International and All Star Movies
2004 - Homewood Suites I Drive and All Star Music
2006 - Homewood Suites I Drive, Royal Pacific Resort and Pop Century
2008 - Homewood Suites, Hard Rock Hotel and Coronado Springs
2010 Homewood Suites, RPR, POFQ
2013 Homewood Suites, RPR,OKW

gala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 05, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally posted by gala
What did the servers in Starring Rolls say when you starting taking photos! ? I do love to relax there over a cuppa.

Margaret
They are okay, actually. I'm not sure that many people take pics like we do - but they seem happy, and generally it's a case of getting in a pic before more people want to be served.
Old 9 Sep 05, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for sharing - looks yummy! Great photos too - I'm grateful how much detail you've gone into 'cos my DH is a vegetarian too.
Old 9 Sep 05, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
it looks and sounds great
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List