Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 15 Sep 05, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post

The Vegetarian and the Carnivore! Part Four – Jiko

JIKO at AKL – Dinner

This meal was one of the highlights of the trip. Absolutely delicious!

As is our usual custom when eating at this resort, we arrived early so that we had time to have a wander around the beautiful Lodge and view the animals.
I also like the shop here (Zawadi Marketplace) as they have some interesting African artwork that you don’t see elsewhere.
Having had a good browse (and acquiring few purchases to pick up later) it was time to make our way downstairs to Jiko.
The restaurant is very contemporary yet still relaxing due to the warm spice tones, soft lighting and of course that soothing African music. My impression was that it seemed to be more even more relaxing, when seated further towards the back of the room. I’m comparing it to when we last ate here and were seated by the window, which was still lovely but not quite so intimate.

I’ll get my one tiny criticism out of the way quickly. I don’t like the bread here. I find it the texture too cakey for my taste. Now, it’s true that I don’t like to eat a lot of bread and I’m really fussy, but I noted that Paul only nibbled at it, and he agreed with me. Also the spices in the tandoori butter tasted a bit raw.

Now onto the good stuff!
Paul started with the fresh asparagus soup, which he declared to be the best he’s ever tasted. Praise indeed as Paul is quite the asparagus aficionado!
The soup was brought to the table in a jug and ceremoniously poured onto a bowl of finely shredded spinach, fresh asparagus tips and soured cream.
I had a (begrudged) spoonful and I can testify that it tasted exceptional!

We shared the Kalamata olive and five cheese flatbread. Mmmmm - those olives are so sweet. The dough base is made with millet which makes it very light and the combination of the five cheeses is rich but not overpowering. It is truly one of my favourite foods on Earth. Actually, now I come to think of it - I say we shared, but I don’t think Paul actually got to eat that much of it

I then had the Berbere braised lamb shank which was warmly spiced with cardamom, coriander, cumin and chilli. The meat was meltingly sweet, and just fell of the bone. It was on a bed of toasted cous cous and wilted spinach which helped to mop up the rich, garlicky tomato sauce. It was fabulous!

Paul had the vegetarian entrée which was tandoori spiced, grilled tofu with a variety of vegetables and grains.
It was a vegetarian’s delight and amongst the ingredients I noticed there was a mix of baby leaf spinach, red and yellow grape tomatoes, fennel and tender broad beans. Paul described the sauce as having a subtly spiced, light tomato base.
As usual we were far too stuffed to even attempt dessert, which was a shame as they looked quite interesting and different. Maybe we’ll get to try one next time we dine in this remarkable restaurant.

Our waiter Omar was very pleasant and well clued up about the wines on offer. We had been chatting with him about the interesting vegetarian items on the menu and he asked the head chef Annette Grecchi Gray, to come to our table and have a chat with us. She’s extremely confident and passionate about the ingredients she sources and prepares, and we were both thrilled to have met her.
At Disney restaurants I often ask to keep my menu as a souvenir, and was delighted when Omar brought me out a presentation menu and wine list to take home with me.

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 05, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds lovely we'll have to give this place a try, thank you for sharing with us.
Old 15 Sep 05, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds gorgeous - I'm drooling on the keyboard!
Old 15 Sep 05, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Sounds lovely Sue. What was the noise level like when you ate their? It was a bit too loud on our last visit but we still want to go back as the food is so good. Just wondering if they have a quieter time.

Dawn
Old 15 Sep 05, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great report nice menu keepsake ... wht did you buy from the shop? any piccies

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 05, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Sue

Thanks for this.

Jiko has turned out to be our NYE choice, providing we can get an ADR.

It looks stunning, and I'm really looking forward to it now.

Cheers

Craig
Old 15 Sep 05, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
REH
Imagineer

Thanks
Old 16 Sep 05, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Food looked yummy
Old 16 Sep 05, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Another mouth watering meal

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 05, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Food looks lovely Thanks for the report, we may try Jiko when we stay at the AKL next year

Jools