Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 May 19, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Living in a City you have to drive quite a way out to get to smaller independent places.

However apart from M & S and Waitrose food I find nothing tastes of anything. Well maybe wet cardboard.
Odd thing is I think m&s food is starting to taste of nothing. Much better cooking from scratch if eating at home

Edited at 08:20 AM.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Prefer independents as typically there is a better level of service and usually try somewhere with locally sourced food. However, there are some decent chains and as with most things you generally get what you pay for so the higher end ones are usually better
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
Old blue eyes I am disappointed 😪🤣 I thought you would be an independent shopper. If you ever need anything from Scotland pm me and I can get you a cheeky deal 😊
I'm not Frank Sinatra

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Odd thing is I think m&s good is starting to taste of nothing. Much better cooking from scratch if eating at home
I couldn't agree more about M&S, to me it's the best of a bad bunch which doesn't say a lot about it's food, I'm talking ready meals now, I used to buy their ready meals years ago but now rarely buy them as I find them bland , I suppose it's mostly because of all the restrictions on additives but I would much rather make something from scratch rather than eat tasteless food, don't get me wrong I'm no Delia Smith but i can knock up a quick dish that tastes a lot better than those awful ready meals .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Adcro View Post
I partly agree. It's certainly nicer to support local independent places, but the thing with chains is that they are consistent. What you get at one, you'll get at another and usually at the same quality, price, menu etc. People like to spend their money on the familiar, often not trying new places "just in case" they don't like it.
Thanks so much for your post I love your take on it as me and DH were just saying how with chains the food taste and service is so different.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Prefer independents as typically there is a better level of service and usually try somewhere with locally sourced food. However, there are some decent chains and as with most things you generally get what you pay for so the higher end ones are usually better
Yeah agree Colette, I still like Tesco and b n M
Old 22 May 19, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I'm not Frank Sinatra
I know 😂🤣 but you do come across as the same to me. Very old school with style...
Old 22 May 19, 06:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Adcro View Post
I partly agree. It's certainly nicer to support local independent places, but the thing with chains is that they are consistent. What you get at one, you'll get at another and usually at the same quality, price, menu etc. People like to spend their money on the familiar, often not trying new places "just in case" they don't like it.
It’s why McDonald’s is a success. I saw a film about how they started from one “restaurant” which was interesting.

I’d usually go for an independent over a chain but they do have their place especially when you are somewhere you don’t know. And often a chain is due to the restaurant doing well and opening new stores.

That’s said I’m not looking forward to using my Christmas voucher in cafe rouge this weekend. That’s a chain I don’t like.

Look at this forum outback,longhorn,millers ale house, mannys etc we all do them
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
After reading about Jamie Oliver going bust (well his eating places) its got me thinking about chains. I am lucky to live in an area where all shops/hotels/restaurants etc are independent and the owners live local. In my opinion people are looking for independent places rather than chains... Would you agree?
I believe the majority of people actually look for the cheapest product possible hence the rise in the lower priced food outlets. There is always a market for higher priced restaurants , it's the mid range that struggle , because it tends to be ok ish food at a price that doesn't seem worth it
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Beddy666
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Originally Posted by Alices Aunt View Post
It’s why McDonald’s is a success. I saw a film about how they started from one “restaurant” which was interesting.

I’d usually go for an independent over a chain but they do have their place especially when you are somewhere you don’t know. And often a chain is due to the restaurant doing well and opening new stores.

That’s said I’m not looking forward to using my Christmas voucher in cafe rouge this weekend. That’s a chain I don’t like.

Look at this forum outback,longhorn,millers ale house, mannys etc we all do them
Is that because in the states especially idrive not many independents out there? When I went 4-5 years back we ate at an independent Italian restaurant near doubletree seaworld ( where we stayed) and the food was gorgeous.
Beddy666 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List