Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Jul 20, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by dizzymum23 View Post
Sorry Vickicat, As far as I know you have to look separately at each uni for accommodation costs.
Thanks Dizzymum, I thought so, but rather than finding each one i was hoping to be lazy! lol
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Vikkicat View Post
Thanks Dizzymum, I thought so, but rather than finding each one i was hoping to be lazy! lol
Would be so much easier though wouldn’t it! There should be a compare the market.com style league table for Uni fees and costs!
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Imagineer

I’ll be honest, it was sort of on my radar and I had subconsciously clocked it, but I’d never really given this much thought about it until now as DD started doing open days...

So living where I do, where house prices are reasonable compared to elsewhere in the country, I have to say I’m shocked at what universities can get away with charging for student accommodation. Especially given the size and state of some of them on offer. The quality of some is really questionable.

Don’t even get me started on tuition fees for 9-12 Hours teaching a week.

I really feel that our young people are getting a pretty raw deal with this. It’s actually quite sad. We want to have a well educated next generation to bring skills into the workforce and support economic growth to our country but basically practically make a good education unaffordable. I know to some degree it’s always been like that, but I really do feel quite angry and sad for our younger generations.

Sorry, rant over now, just needed to vent. Back to open days it is. We have York tomorrow I think.

Edited at 08:27 PM.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by windsor_hills View Post
I’ll be honest, it was sort of on my radar and I had subconsciously clocked it, but I’d never really given this much thought about it until now as DD started doing open days...

So living where I do, where house prices are reasonable compared to elsewhere in the country, I have to say I’m shocked at what universities can get away with charging for student accommodation. Especially given the size and state of some of them on offer. The quality of some is really questionable.

Don’t even get me started on tuition fees for 9-12 Hours teaching a week.

I really feel that our young people are getting a pretty raw deal with this. It’s actually quite sad. We want to have a well educated next generation to bring skills into the workforce and support economic growth to our country but basically practically make a good education unaffordable. I know to some degree it’s always been like that, but I really do feel quite angry and sad for our younger generations.

Sorry, rant over now, just needed to vent. Back to open days it is. We have York tomorrow I think.
We have York as well tomorrow
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

What private landlords charge for student let’s is shocking it’s certainly a game to get into !
My DD has just finished her first draft of her personal statement and it’s fantastic, you can tell nursing has been a calling for her, oldest DD helped her ( I’ve already had a DD & DS go through Uni )
Old 4 Jul 20, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
madhatter3
Imagineer

madhatter3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

My son starts uclan this sept. His loan will cover tuition and hopefully his living costs. His ensuite student accommodation is £140 a week. He is hoping to get a little job to top up.
He is also going to see if liverpool john moores will take him on clearing day, he turned that down in favour of uclan, but that was before covid and now he would like to stay at home, keep his weekend job and not pay rent. Believe me the room is ok, but certainly not worth £140 a week.
When we looked at uni accommodation last year some where worse then a prison cell.
He loved the course at Wolverhampton, but the accommodation was dire.

madhatter3 hat trick pre tripee april 16http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=11091819#post11091819
madhatter3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

The accommodation situation is a big worry for us. Our daughter has a autoimmune disease and she gets extremely poorly with any virus or infection, usually ending in hospital on a drip.
So if the shared kitchen etc is unclean she could be at higher risk of catching something nasty.

We would prefer her to commute to uni but we want it to be her decision.
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky's Mum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
The accommodation situation is a big worry for us. Our daughter has a autoimmune disease and she gets extremely poorly with any virus or infection, usually ending in hospital on a drip.
So if the shared kitchen etc is unclean she could be at higher risk of catching something nasty.

We would prefer her to commute to uni but we want it to be her decision.
I work for a Uni and we clean kitchens 5 days a week but they are still a tip. You will never change students behaviour no matter how hard you try. It may be worth her looking at some of the private halls where they have studios alongside cluster flats so she still has Uni students around her but her own kitchen or check with the Uni if they have any on site. We don't have studios that's why I suggest the private halls.

The studios usually appeal to the International students but as we expect those numbers to be down for Sept a lot of the private halls are doing very good deals on studios.

Just a thought
Lucky's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lucky's Mum View Post
I work for a Uni and we clean kitchens 5 days a week but they are still a tip. You will never change students behaviour no matter how hard you try. It may be worth her looking at some of the private halls where they have studios alongside cluster flats so she still has Uni students around her but her own kitchen or check with the Uni if they have any on site. We don't have studios that's why I suggest the private halls.

The studios usually appeal to the International students but as we expect those numbers to be down for Sept a lot of the private halls are doing very good deals on studios.

Just a thought
Never thought of that, thank you. It would certainly be better for her to have a kitchenette. I can imagine that’s expensive though!
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Never thought of that, thank you. It would certainly be better for her to have a kitchenette. I can imagine that’s expensive though!
Our nephew is at Lancaster and has a studio, he has a small kitchen area, own bathroom. It costs quite a lot though
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List