Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Aug 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsGrumpy
Apprentice Imagineer

Any GP practice managers?

Wondering if any of you lovely Dibbers are GP practice managers and can offer some clarification!

Long story short, trying to find out if the NHS has updated its guidelines to include the removal of patients already registered for some time with a practice but living outside the practice boundaries from their list due to Covid-19. I have searched extensively online, including the NHS guidelines under Patient Choice of GP practices, but can find nothing confirming this.

The letter we received from the NHS stated our GP practice had asked for our removal, they insist they were told by the NHS to do so. We are desperate to stay with 'our' GP who is more than willing for us to do so, but says the boss has told her it is NHS policy.

Hope this makes sense, not sure either if it should maybe be in the 'current issues' forum. TIA.
MrsGrumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post

Not a GP manager, but I’m with a practise that technically we live out of boundaries for and havent received such a letter. I was there for a smear test the other week and no one said anything to me about it either.

Edited at 12:01 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Could it just be down to managers discretion? Maybe they have lots of new patient requests within the local area and can’t accommodate all patients?

Shame for you though, it seems like you have got a gp that you trust and respect so u can Understand why you would want to stay with them
Old 23 Aug 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsGrumpy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
Not a GP manager, but I’m with a practise that technically we live out of boundaries for and havent received such a letter. I was there for a smear test the other week and no one said anything to me about it either.
We are only half a mile outside the boundary

Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post
Could it just be down to managers discretion? Maybe they have lots of new patient requests within the local area and can’t accommodate all patients?

Shame for you though, it seems like you have got a gp that you trust and respect so u can Understand why you would want to stay with them
I could understand them not taking any new patients, but we have been there for over two years. We tried to discuss it the the lead GP and the practice manager but got nowhere, he wouldn't even let us speak, was literally shouting us down.
MrsGrumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

gov.uk/government/public...-me-in-the-nhs

I cant see that anything has changed recently, ask the practice manager to prove that this has come from the government
Old 23 Aug 20, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

I moved a couple of miles from the GP I was registered at from birth. When I told them I had moved they said I had to find a new GP where I lived as they wouldn't be able to do home visits "that far away". This was several years ago, so maybe that's their thinking?
pompeyboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsGrumpy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
gov.uk/government/public...-me-in-the-nhs

I cant see that anything has changed recently, ask the practice manager to prove that this has come from the government
Very interesting Lizzie, thank you. As we have been registered with the practice for over two years, I would think none of the reasons given for not having a choice are applicable. When I asked the practice manager about the boundaries being established in 2012, before we registered so why did they accept us as we would have been outside the boundary at that time, her reply was that she wasn't born then! I have also contacted NHS England and wait to hear from them.
Old 23 Aug 20, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsGrumpy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by pompeyboy View Post
I moved a couple of miles from the GP I was registered at from birth. When I told them I had moved they said I had to find a new GP where I lived as they wouldn't be able to do home visits "that far away". This was several years ago, so maybe that's their thinking?
We offered to sign the agreement not to ask for home visits but got shouted at. If it is an issue now why didn't they raise it when we first listed?!
Old 23 Aug 20, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsGrumpy View Post
We are only half a mile outside the boundary

I could understand them not taking any new patients, but we have been there for over two years. We tried to discuss it the the lead GP and the practice manager but got nowhere, he wouldn't even let us speak, was literally shouting us down.
I have to apologise. When I read your post I assumed you had recently moved and that you were no longer in the catchment area. Yes I can completely see your point, it does seem unfair, and there is definition no need for the manager to be rude
Old 23 Aug 20, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsGrumpy View Post
We offered to sign the agreement not to ask for home visits but got shouted at. If it is an issue now why didn't they raise it when we first listed?!
Also didn't read your first post correctly, so a different scenario to mine. Hope you get the result you want or at least a decent answer as to why this has happened.
pompeyboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List