Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Sep 20, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
West Coast V Florida

So, we've had lots of talk about future US holidays. We're looking at going back in 2022. DD, who will be 16 and just done her GCSE's, plus myself, want go to California and do a road trip, taking in the sights, San Fran, Pacific Coast Highway, the bits in between and LA. DH, wants to go to Florida again, and is happy to not do any parks, but he said he doesn't think we will enjoy the West Coast as we love Florida so much and doesn't see the point in spending the same sort of money for a lesser experience. DS, who will be 14, wants to go to LA, to see the big houses, Beverly Hills and the Warner Bros Studios.

For those of you who have visited both, what would you do, given the choice? For those with kids of similar ages, what did they prefer between the 2? Do you let them have an input? or do you just book it and tell them to such it up (DH's way lol) I know they are both very different, but interested in how people pick between the 2, given the choice!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

West coast every time. In comparison if I never went to Florida again I wouldn't miss it.

Better weather, more to see, just better all round.

But, if your holiday revolves around 14 days in a theme park and a pool.in a villa, then Florida is best for you.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

Definitely West Coast.There is so much to see inc theme parks but maybe less time to chill if that's what you like.Florida is familiar and easy but West Coast is full of new sights .
Old 13 Sep 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

My teenagers would say West Coast every time, we have done Florida numerous times and West Coast twice

We were supposed to be going again this August but obviously cancelled, weather is better as well
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

My wife and I had this discussion earlier. Definitely California over Florida for us. We're all Disney'd out and we spent most of last year's trip on the Gulf Coast, after a few days in FortLauderdale.

For us California is a much newer experience and we loved the variety of locations coast roads with varying types of beach, forests and desert. Our 2 were 16 and 12 and had a good time, although sometimes get fed up with long road trips.

The only theme park we did was Knotts Berry Farm, on our first whole day. We weren't bothered about Disney or the other big parks, although they are meant to be good.

We stayed near the beach in LA area, Redondo. We didn't want to do Hollywood etc. We had a great day riding hire cycles along the Strand, by the beach area of Manhattan etc. Also had a nice swim in the Ocean, which was surprisingly warm.

We made our way slowly up towards San Francisco, staying en route. We couldn't do PCH properly due to landslides.

After San Francisco we went to Yosemite, then made our way down to San Diego via short desert stops.

San Diego is lovely.

Overall we had a great time and would definitely prefer to go back instead of Florida.

Let me know if you want a trip summary with planning information and I'll post it.

Edited at 06:33 AM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Kala
Trying for More Ears

We went LA and SAN Francisco and Vegas although great I would miss Florida too much so sorry Fl although the way xxxx
Kala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Since doing the West Coast for the first time 10 years ago (my DDs were 11 and 14) we all prefer the West Coast to FL now.

We have been back to FL quite a few times anyway but there is so much more, varied, fun, to see and so compared to FL.
Old 13 Sep 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

California over Florida here too. We did a road trip last summer and also factored in 2 theme parks; Knotts Berry farm and Six Flags - both great if you all like thrill rides. It was an amazing holiday and a perfect mix of nature and the outdoors including Yosemite, Whale watching from MonteRey, elephant seals and Sequoia national park and then the big cities - LA and San Francisco. It was the best holiday we have ever had! Have a look at some of the trip reports on here to get a feel for the West Coast, California is huge and there is so much to do.
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

If you want theme parks and a villa then Florida is better as better parks and reasonably priced villas. Aside from that the West Coast every time. If the parks all closed I'd never go back to Florida again but other parts of the US like the West Coast, the Smokey Mountains, New Orleans, the NE in fall etc.. I'll never tire of. Everyone is different but overall I'd say there's very few people who could stand in Yosemite, look at the Grand Canyon, stroll around San Francisco, bike along the watefront in San Diego and say it's a lesser experience than Orlando. Different, yes and apples and oranges if comparing to a typical fornight in Orlando but unless you are a total theme park junkie who hates cities, scenery, natural parks etc.. then I think the West Coast gives you a lot more bang for your buck.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi for us would probably be west coast but it’s an expensive pLace for hotels etc , but you would save on park tickets
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List