Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Oct 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile Dogs & Loyalty

My DH usually takes our 3 dogs out before he starts work but as it’s so dark in the mornings now I’m taking them after the school run. We have a Labrador and 2 Terriers. We moved at the end of May and are now close to lots of woods so we tend to take them there. This morning with all the rain we have it was dark in the woods and I got to wondering if I met anyone with ill intent whether the dogs would react. Our little terrier is very vocal so I would imagine she would yap but she is only 5kgs so wouldn’t be able to do much, our other terrier not much bigger. How have your dogs reacted if they have been unhappy with a situation you have been in? Our Labrador is so laid back I can’t imagine her doing anything.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
My dog would bark and bark and bark but he’s a wimp so I Doubl the would “help” me much 🤔🤣
Old 21 Oct 20, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

We had a Lab/Whippet cross which defended me whilst out on a walk. We were walking through a path leading to a local reservoir walk, a man overtook us and was doing his shoe lace up by the stile. Honey obviously scented danger and walked round me in everdecreasing circles for about 5 mins until the man disappeared and I managed to access the main well populated walk.
Old 21 Oct 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
If my son and I have play fights or tickle fights, our 3-y-o lab gets involved very quickly and very excitedly.

His actions are very curious though, as he generally tries to become between us, almost as if he's trying to break us up, and he'll then keep his body between the two of us.

Whilst he's going this, he sometimes lets a little growl sound out, but it's not a conventional growl and a sound we've not heard him make at any other time.

So, if someone did start on me when out, I wonder if he'd do the same thing and, although I think he's broadly just trying to play, the attacker would not know that, so it may be enough to put them off.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

When my puppy was 6 months old we were waiting to meet my brother near his uni house. It was dark and my brother came around the corner from behind and started sneaking up on me to make me jump (as he does). He was in a hood and dressed in black. Digby clocked him and went mental, growling, barking, but of course as soon as he recognised it was my brother it turned into wags and licks. I don't know how such a young pup got such a vibe, and I don't know what a tiny cockapoo would do to protect me if it was a real dangerous situation, but it's cute knowing he thinks he's got my back!
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
If you want to test your dogs loyalty lock the dog and your partner in the boot for 2 hours...

See which one is pleased to see you when you let them out😂
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
tigerfee
VIP Dibber

Mobile

When I was younger I was out at the shop with my male cousin at night. My cousin got jumped by a few boys he'd been having hassle from. My dog heard me screaming from a street away and broke the latch of the window ( it must have been slightly ajar) and came running to our rescue. One of the boys had some sort of weapon cause my dog was cut to bits 😭 but he saved us. Police said he deserved a medal. Loved that dog. He died years ago ❤️
tigerfee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

My big, soppy, cuddly boy protected me when I didn't realise I was in a potentially dangerous situation. He spotted someone before I even saw him and went mental growling and pushing me back out of the way. I have never heard a dog growl with such a menacing belly growl as he did. He was on the lead but I think if the guy had come closer to try anything he would have had him.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post

I have wondered this in the past too. Mine are pugs so not really expecting too much of them. I have noticed that if there is a noise outside, one starts barking and running around whilst the other tends to find me and sit in front of me or even on me.

Usually they are delighted to see new people though so I have always assumed they would be more welcoming than threatening if somebody got too close. I think they would run and hide if we encountered somebody aggressive, but fortunately never had this theory tested.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
wobblywibbly
Serious Dibber

had a visit from the local arboreal and ferrous metal agents yesterday, they declined to get out of their transit to ring the bell due to my hounds two shouting obscenities through the gate... good job girls

I have a great Dane and Rhodesian Ridgeback and am very rural.
wobblywibbly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List