Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 10 Apr 16, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Happyhaunt1000
slightly serious Dibber

Brett & Jo’s ‘This Changes Everything’ 2015 Orlando Adventure - Day 13: Universal & DTD/DS

So after a very late night at HHN, we’re off to Universal again today. After floating around at sea for the past two weeks, our good friends Jo (aka Nips), Stew and Isabella, have arrived in Orlando. They are, of course, both original members of the DADC and the other half of the Searding/Hardar mash-up drinking sessions. We plan on having a relaxing day wandering around the two parks doing whatever rides Isabella wants to go on, as well as grabbing some lunch from somewhere in CityWalk.

We’d arranged to meet at 11am but I'd received a message from Stew saying that Isabella hadn't gone to sleep till 11:45 the previous night so they wouldn't make the 11am meet time. Which was absolutely fine by us… after our exhausting previous day we were thankful for the extra time to rest. We had to suddenly get our bums into gear though when at 11:20 Stew messaged and said they were on their way!

Cut to us being in a cab at 12:05, just five minutes away from the park and me doing a quick voice memo. The VM made note of the fact that on our walk through the resort to reception to get a cab, I'd spotted something dark, about the size of a cat with shorter legs, a little way ahead of us on the path… it suddenly darted to the water's edge and I said I thought it was a skunk. Turns out it was an otter! (Jo was so excited you’d think she’d never seen one before!) It swam on the surface of the water for a bit, before going under, and me and Jo were trying to follow the trail of bubbles to see where it would reappear.

We stood there for a good five minutes(!) watching for bubbles… and when we thought we saw it coming to the surface again it just turned out to be a fish. Eventually I said it was dumb standing here and we actually had to be somewhere, so we carried on to the cab stand.

By 12:30 me and Jo were waiting on the bridge overlooking Dudley Do Right’s Ripsaw Falls. You know the place, my favourite spot where I change up five dollars into quarters to soak the unsuspecting riders in the log as they come round the corner (remember folks… No.7 is the best one!) As I'm loading quarters into the soaker, the others arrive. I give a handful of quarters to Isabella and show her how to work the machine. It takes her couple of goes to get used to the timing… but she suddenly gets the hang of it and is soaking people like a pro!

Our first ride is going to be Popeye and Bluto’s Bilge Rat Barges. There’s no actual wait for the ride, but the walk from the entrance to boarding takes at least five minutes. (I swear the queue line was never this long!)

We finally board and I'm sitting on one side of Isabella, and Jo (Nips) is sitting on the other. In my last TR I mentioned a little trick for staying dry on this and Ripsaw Falls, which is to wear two pairs of shorts to the park… one sports pair and a normal pair of cargo shorts. I then remove the cargo shorts, keep them dry and just ride in the sports shorts. Then when I get off, take the sports shorts off (in the privacy of the restrooms of course) and put on the dry combats. Well… this time I forgot to remove the cargo shorts, meaning that both pairs got soaked… and when I say soaked, I really mean soaked. I swear I’ve never been drenched as much as I was during that ride. Jo (my Jo… or Jo Legs as she's referred to in the DADC) was also soaked, but not to the extent of me. Isabella also took her fair share of the tidal waves… but, bless her, she was giggling and laughing the whole way round. (I think it was her giggling… or it could've been Stew!)

When we got off, we took a few minutes to wring out our t-shirts and shorts… getting as much water out of our clothes as we could, then carried on walking round the park.

It wasn't till we got a good 100 metres away from where we’d been drying ourselves that Nips said “where's the buggy?” Turns out we’d been so busy talking amongst ourselves that we forgot Isabella's buggy and Stew had to race back to retrieve it! Gonna say this on record right now… I know I’ll end up doing this A LOT when we’re at the parks. Hell… I’ll probably forget we’re even meant to have a kid with us!

Months prior to meeting up today, I said to Nips and Stew that when we were in the park I'd like to borrow Isabella so I can finally go on the Pteranodon Flyers! It's one of the only rides in the park I hadn't been on because, obviously, I've never had a child with me who I could go on with. So now was going to be that time. As we got close to the entrance to the attraction, Stew handed me his Universal pass (with a grainy picture of him on it) and said we could use it as a Front of the Line pass.

Now… as you can see from the photos, me and Stew look nothing alike, so I wasn't convinced it was going to work. He somehow persuaded me it would be fine and so I headed over to the tall, stern looking employee who was stood by the entrance to the queue. Isabella was tightly holding my hand (just like her mummy and daddy had told her). I held out my hand with the ticket in and tried to hand it to the guy… but he didn't take them off me. “Sorry, we don't accept those” he said. I didn't know what he meant so he repeated himself. Still none the wiser I asked what he meant by that. He then explained that this attraction didn't have a FotL queue and it was standby waiting only. I asked how long the current wait was… “40 minutes” was his reply! There was no way I was going to wait that long to ride this... Isabella would no doubt be as bored as I would be, and it also wasn't fair on the other three to wait for us.

We walked back to the group (Stew thinking his great plan of me passing myself off as him had been foiled) and I explained that I wasn't waiting nearly an hour to ride it and said we should just go to Seuss Landing so Isabella could ride some things round there. Once we get there, Stew parks the buggy and our first ride is The Cat in the Hat… which we haven't ridden for a few years... and the last time we did, I got told off for taking photos while on the attraction! Jo was a bit apprehensive as she remembered it to be quite ‘spinny’. I vaguely remembered that being the case too, but once we were on it, the ride wasn't nearly as bad as we’d thought it was going to be.

Next was going to be One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. Isabella wanted to ride with me and Jo Legs, while Stew and Nips went on their own. We sit Isabella in between us say to her that she going to be controlling our fish, and it's up to her how wet we get. The ride starts and she started laughing as the fish goes up (Isabella…. not Jo) then the fish surrounding the attraction start to spit water. Well… it was clear that Isabella had made her mind up that she wanted us to get soaked again, because if the fish down low was spitting water… she’d take us low. If the one up high was spitting water… she took us high! As she's taking us up and down she's giggling and saying “I love getting wet!” Clearly she wasn't lying about that!

When we leave the attraction we decide it's time to get something to eat. Again… we get quite a way away when Stew suddenly remembers the buggy and has to go back and get it.

Back in the planning stages of this trip, Cowfish was high on the list of new restaurants we wanted to try, and even though Stew and Nips had eaten there the previous day, they were more than happy to eat there again.

The temperature inside was freezing though! (Actually, it probably wasn't that cold, it was just the fact that we were still wringing wet from Popeye.) We were shown to a booth and I promptly took my shorts off (the big heavy cargo shorts) and put them to one side. I was hoping they'd maybe dry a little during our meal.

Stew and Nips had a pretty good idea of what that wanted, and after listening to what Nips had eaten the day before, I decided to go for Fusion Speciality Bento Box, and Jo Legs had a CBCLT burger. I stupidly also ordered a milkshake… a Cake Shake to be exact (vanilla ice cream with chocolate birthday cake mix!) I say ‘stupidly’ because everyone knows that milkshake fills you up! After a couple of swigs, I realised I wasn't going to finish this on my own… and put it in the middle of the table for all and sundry to try.

I made no notes about what the Sears ate…. but I'm sure Stew did, so you’ll be able to read all about it in his version of this day in his TR. The food came up pretty quickly and it was delicious. I'd heard a lot of mixed reviews about this place... and it seems to vary from very good to bloody terrible. People moan about the wait times, the temperature of the food, the service… but I have to say, on this day, everything was good. Nips did have to ask a couple of times for a drink refill, but other than that I enjoyed myself there. I don't remember what the bill came to… but I remember thinking it was pretty reasonable. I'd definitely eat here again as there were a lot of items on the menu I'd like to try.

For the second half of the day we decided to head over to the Studios… and back out in the mid-afternoon sunshine I was starting to slowly dry off. I figured there was no point putting the wet cargo shorts back on, so Nips slung them across the back of the buggy for me.

We weren't walking to anywhere in particular, but when we got to Transformers we saw that it was only a five minute wait, so we said to the Sears we’d wait outside and they could go in and ride it. Just then Jo Legs said something that shocked me… “I think I’ll be ok with this…. I’ll just brace myself so I'm not thrown about too much”. She actually wanted to go on! We’d been careful all holiday and the only thing with a thrill involved that she’s been on was Splash Mountain. But she knew this ride and thought she’d be ok with it. With that, we all went inside and when it came time to board, Nips, Isabella and Stew got in the front… me and Jo got in the back.

In my last TR (the wedding trip) over the course of the holiday I'd gone from saying Spiderman was better than Transformers, to Transformers was better than Spiderman. And now... after a two year absence from both attractions, I can categorically say SPIDERMAN IS BETTER THAN TRANSFORMERS! In fact I'd go as far to say that I HATE Transformers. While we were on the attraction I was a little concerned for Jo. I know she said she’d be fine… but when you’re worrying about her more than just experiencing the ride, you start to actually see the ride for what it is. And what it is, is a mess! A big, noisy, throw-you-around mess! Sitting behind the Sears, I could see how much Isabella’s little head was getting thrown from side to side, and back and forth. I realised that the story is pretty much non-existent… that what’s going on up on the screen is just plain confusing, and half the time you can't actually tell what's going on. It's just big bits of metal smashing into other big bits of metal. I literally came off that ride hating it with a passion! Afterwards I tried on a hat for Stew, and he came up with the classic caption ‘BumbleBrett’!

We carried on walking round the park with Jo Legs quickly stopping to refill her giant purple souvenir cup, and didn't stop at any more attractions until we got round to the Woody Woodpecker area. Me and Jo Legs waited while the Sears went on Woody Woodpecker’s Nuthouse coaster. They were on and off in the blink of an eye and the four of us stood around for a bit while Isabella played in one of the outside kids’ areas. (A place I can see I’ll be spending time in the future!)

It was getting close to 5pm now and with none of us wanting to go anywhere else in particular we decided to head for the exits. Stew said that they were heading to Downtown Disney/Disney Springs for the evening, so they would give us a lift back to our hotel. They just needed to pop back to their hotel and change, so we all jumped on the boat outside the park and headed back to their hotel.

The boat wasn't something we’d been on before, as we’ve never stayed on property at Universal. It was a nice little journey and the hotel they were staying in looked lovely.

"Quick everyone... rush to get off at the same time!" BOATWOMBLES!

The place seemed to have a bit of a frog fetish, as they were absolutely everywhere! Me and Jo waited in the lobby while the Sears all went upstairs to get changed. Ten minutes later they returned and we all piled outside and into their car.

Isabella was sitting in the back and chatting away to Jo about all manner of things. I must admit, while sitting there in the back I got very comfortable, and a few minutes into our journey back to the hotel I fell asleep. It was only a quick doze… a power nap if you will… and I felt extremely refreshed when I woke as we were pulling into Saratoga Springs!

Stew parked up outside the entrance to our building, and we thanked them for a lovely day. We asked them if they wanted to join us for something to eat at DTD/DS but they declined (they’d clearly had enough of our company for one day!) As we reached our floor, we could see that they were still sitting there in the car park. We wave down to them and Nips throws us a heart (you can just about see it in this blurred image).

Back in our room, I plonk down on the sofa whilst Jo is faffing about getting changed. A little while later she’s ready, and we toy with the idea of walking to DTD/DS… but the lure of the bus is too strong and we head over to the stop. Thankfully we’re only waiting about five minutes before one arrives, and guess who we bump into on the bus… it’s Nicki and Dean all dressed up and looking fancy! They're off for a meal at Citricos (oooh get you two!) We tell them that we’re planning on doing Extra Magic Hours again at MK tomorrow night and as they don’t have any plans they say they might join us for a bit.

We get to DTD/DS and because we haven’t got an ADR we decide to just walk until we get to somewhere we fancy eating. It's not a great plan to be honest, as it's Friday night and the whole place will be getting busier the later we leave it. As we’re walking I quickly try to fire off a voice-memo recalling the fun we've had today… and who should we see walking towards us… but the Sears! We stop and have a quick chat and then we’re on our way again to find food. They were on their way back to the car to head to Olive Garden (the fools).

Nothing is really enticing either of us… and it isn't until we get almost to Disney Quest before we decide to see if there's a table free at Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe. Jo Looks at the Disney app and can see there a table at 8:30 so she quickly books it seeing as we have no better ideas. The crowds in DTD/DS at this point were crazy… as this photo shows.

It's only 8pm, so with some time to kill we go into a couple of the shops at the far end of (what used to be) the West Side. I see a couple of pairs of trainers I like in the sports shop (if you haven't already realised by this point, I've got a bit of a trainer/boot/shoe fetish). I also see some socks that I like, but I can't bring myself to spend $30 on two pairs of socks! It's still not quite time for our table but we figure we might as well just go to the restaurant on the off chance they can seat us right away. Luckily they can and we’re shown to our table, which is right by some windows looking out over the water and along the main ‘street’. We’re both looking through the menu when we notice outside it has started to rain… heavily! You could see people ducking into shops and standing in doorways to shield from the downpour.

For our meals it was a very fishy affair. I ordered the swordfish and Jo had the salmon. Both were really nice… and the only thing that spoiled it were the people on the table next to us.

More specifically… one particular gentlemen. He arrived late to meet his friends (who were already sat at the table next to us and had been chatting normally) and suddenly the decibel level rose... he was talking so loudly AT his friends that people on the other side of the restaurant must've been able to hear him. He was laughing loudly at his own jokes(!) and then he began to order his food. He started by asking for the Rosemary Chicken, but without the rosemary. The server pointed out that she couldn’t do that as it was already infused into the chicken. He didn't seem to understand what she meant so said “but can you just take out the rosemary and I’ll have the chicken plain”. Again the server had to point out that it was ‘infused’ and that wasn't possible. “But I don't want the rosemary, I don't like it. I’ll just have mine plain”.

I've stopped eating my dinner at this point and now I'm just staring at this idiot who clearly doesn’t grasp what this woman is telling him… so she talks to him in the simplest way she knows how by telling him that the rosemary is stuffed into the chicken when it’s prepared. It's then left overnight so the flavour really soaks into the bird. Even if she could take out the rosemary (which she can't) it would still taste like rosemary. She then says to him that instead of ordering the Rosemary Chicken, they do a Pesto Chicken dish where they add the pesto during cooking. He could order that and she’d ask the chef to leave the chicken plain.

The guy (sorry… the complete moron) likes this suggestion… but he now has another problem (of course he does!) He’s not keen on the sides… so asks to swap the green beans for carrots, and then asks to swap the mash for the garlic butter potatoes, except he doesn't want them in garlic butter, he wants them plain. And so it begins again….
“I'm afraid we can't do that sir, they are coated in garlic butter prior to cooking.”
“But I don't want any butter… I can't have butter… no butter… I don't want butter!”
“But unfortunately sir, that's how they are prepared… it isn't added on after, it's how they are prepared and then cooked”
“But I don't want butter... please, no butter… no butter… I don't want butter!”
At this point you may think I'm completely over exaggerating how many times this guy said the word ‘butter’... but I'm not! Seriously, if anything I'm underselling quite how much he said the word… to the point of him almost having a meltdown and a child like hissy-fit! Once again the server is remaining very calm and pointing out that she can't change the way they are cooked or prepared, and says that maybe he should stick with the mash as the butter is added afterwards so can be left off. “But I want the garlic butter potatoes… just without the butter!”

People… you have no idea how close I came to interrupting this conversation and just yelling at the guy for not listening! I wanted to throttle this foodwomble! Someone else on the table is now saying stuff like “it's a medical condition, he’ll die if he has butter” whilst giggling. The idiot says it's not a medical condition, but he’d really like them without butter. The server tells him for what feels like the millionth time that it's just not possible, so the guy begrudgingly goes back to having mash. I look back at Jo… and with her eyes as big as saucers, she simply says “what a knob!”

The rest of the meal was kinda spoilt because of his overly loud talking, and because of how much it was winding me up… but we polished off our mains (which were both really good by the way) and chose a couple of desserts. To be honest, we only really picked at these as we were waiting for the rain to stop... they were ok, but nothing to write home about!

This meal was only one Table Service credit on the Dining Plan, and totally worth it. It wasn't ‘blow you away’ food… it was just simple, good cooking.

When it came time to leave it was still raining. Jo had a white top on and said she wasn't going to walk through DTD/DS with a see through top on (spoilsport) so we darted into a shop across from the restaurant and she bought a poncho! Because we were back in the shop that sold the socks I’d looked at earlier in the night, (and because I'd thought about them a couple of times during dinner) I ended up getting them. One pair had mushrooms on them… (I think I bought them because a few of the mushrooms looked a little phallic) and the others were Scottie Pippin socks! It would be too long-winded and not at all funny if I explained why me and a few of my mates like Scottie Pippin… but let’s just say it’s an ‘in joke’. (I have since shown my friends the socks, and they think they're great… and worth every penny of the $18 they cost!)

We still hadn't got a couple of the Starbucks mugs so we stopped to get the the Orlando and Florida mugs. As unbelievable as it may seem… we still weren't done with shopping this trip and had some Disney merchandise we’d seen earlier in the holiday and wanted to pick up. Namely, a Mickey waffle magnet, a giant bowl for putting halloween candy in, a large Haunted Mansion mug, and Jo wanted a couple of Alex & Ani bracelets and some Pandora earrings.

With all of our goodies purchased, we decided to walk back to the hotel and on the way pick up a bag of other shopping from Artist’s Palette which had been shipped back there for us to collect a couple of days ago (but due to our Universal days, had just been sitting there).

We finally got back to our room around 11pm and started packing away more stuff into the suitcases. It was becoming apparent that we would probably need to buy another suitcase as we still had a ton of stuff to pack and the cases already packed were basically at their weight limit (even if they weren't full inside). At around 12:30 we got our stuff ready for the following day (our last full day in Orlando) and were asleep by 1am.

I know I moaned a little in the previous TR day about all the meetings we’d set up in Orlando, but we really did have an absolute blast with all these different couples. Obviously we go out with Stew and Jo when we’re in the UK, but it's adults only… so seeing little Isabella and watching her giggle and laugh while soaking us on rides was so much fun. Do make sure to read Stew’s write up on the day… I’m curious to see his take on events and if there are things that I forgot about!

Just two more days to go until we’re over and done with… hope you’ll come back and read our final full day at WDW which includes not one, but two surprise appearances!

I love you byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee xx

Day 14 can be found here

Edited at 09:11 PM.
Happyhaunt1000 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 16, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a brilliant day! We had a few instances where there were random diners beside us in restaurants asking for really weird substitutions 😁 We thought it was only us that attracted the weirdos! Lol! Looking forward to your next day 😊
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 16, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Those soakers at IOA are amazing! We could spend ages there, and have in fact!

Made me laugh about the forgotten buggy, sounds like you all had a great day.

Cowfish sounds great will have to see if I can squeeze it into the long list of restaurants for the next trip.

Thanks for sharing
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 16, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Aww I think it’s so cute that Isabella wanted to ride with you guys on one fish two fish whatever it’s called Good practice for you

I agree that Spiderman is waaaaaaaaaaay better! BumbleBrett is golden! Love it!

Wow that foodwomble was needing a swift slap in the chops! Some people! Geeeeeez!

Sounds like a great day all round
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 16, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Short legs
Excited about Disney

Another great day! I read all your reports but don't tend to comment
You seem to have the same tolerance I have for idiots... not much! I'm always tutting or saying 'd**khead' under my breath, especially in the US! I'm sure they are raised to think that they can have anything they want wherever & whenever they want!
Can't wait to read more yet again!
Short legs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 16, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

I honestly believe he would have died if he ate butter 😂😂😂😂😂
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 16, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Another great day (except for the annoying bloke in the Wolfgang Puck's who made me feel angry and i wasn't even there, but reading about him was enough for me).
Yorkie Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 16, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
nicki2014
slightly serious Dibber

Read both accounts of the day and I have to say your friend Stew’s is a much better and more humorous read- I think you are losing your touch mate!

Well jell you went to Cowfish, think I will try that out on my next trip!

Love that you managed to get an epic rant in there- it hasn’t really happened in the last couple of days of the report

Didn’t realise we bumped into you so much in the second week- in fact I think we see you again the next day- you sure you weren’t stalking us?

COMPLETE-DLP 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, DLR, CA- 2007, WDW- offsite 2008, offsite 2009, SSR 2010, SSR 2012, SSR/ GF/ HRH 2014, SSR 2015, MA/ NYC/ NJ- 2015
nicki2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 16, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Buffton
Apprentice Imagineer

Just caught up on the last two days. So busy! The HHN evening was awesome, and nice to spend a day doing some of the more chilled out stuff at universal too. Thanks guys!
Lizzie
Buffton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 16, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Milner
Imagineer

Another fantastic read.
Hampton Lakes - October 2007, The Hamlets, Westhaven - July/August 2009, The Sanctuary, Westhaven - July/August 2012, Dibb Villa Highgate Park & 1 night at HRH - July 2015 2017 6 nights NY, 11 nights in Florida Dibb villa, Westhaven, Xmas 2018 Villa 1 night RPR 2019 7 nights in New York, 2020 Dibb Villa booked in Highlands, 3 nights in Cape Coral
Milner is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List