Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 30 May 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Windows 10 is your operating system ( that is the backbone of the pc) the file your are talking about will have been created using office. You do not get office as part of windows 10 this is something you will need to buy. Once you buy office it will open files created in a older version of office so office 2016 will open 99.9% of files created in older versions. I hope this helps explain. Please let me know if you have any other questions

You will be able to transfer the file but you don’t have a application to open the file

Edited at 07:52 PM.
keith1973 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Yes my desktop was XP my Laptop is 7 so I'm in between the devil and the deep blue sea!
It’s unlikely they will offer anther free upgrade look out for offers or some companies have deals with Microsoft
Old 30 May 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
minniemick
Excited about Disney

Thank you Keith 1973 when my son gets back from holiday I will ask him if he can transfer the file over I thought it would not be straightforward, on my Windows XP I used Office 2003 Professional
minniemick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ok, try this

put your usb stick in the win10 computer
open windows explorer (press WIN and E keys together)
go to the usb drive and find the .xls file you want
right click on it, select COPY
navigate to your "my documents" folder on the computer, right click and PASTE

this will copy the file from the usb stick to the computer

press the windows key and type "excel" - does ms excel icon appear? if not, you dont have MS office installed. you need a copy. it doesnt come as standard with windows, you have to pay extra for it.

assuming you dont have excel/ms office on there, you have two options if you dont want to pay for a new copy of office...

go to open office, download and install it - openoffice/

or go to google docs, sign in (if you have an android based mobile, use your google account login from that)

docs.google/spreadsheets/

click new blank document, then FILE > OPEN > UPLOAD
navigate to the xls file in your my docs folder (or directly on the usb drive, but i wouldnt recommend doing it on the original copy to begin with) and it should hopefully open the spreadsheet.

wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
minniemick
Excited about Disney

Thank you once again for your help I am away for a few days I am using somebody else's computer I am not very technical so will print your instructions and ask my son do this for me.
Thanks again.
minniemick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List