Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 7 Jul 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
matt71
slightly serious Dibber

Help with a bizarre question please?

Good afternoon

Me and the better half are looking to go back to Florida for our 50th next May

Anyway we was planning to do 10 nights in Florida, take an internal flight to New York and spend 2/3 nights there before flying home.

Has anyone done this before and if so do they recommend any airlines and best airport to arrive into New York ?

Finally bizarre question - we are both big golfers and don’t want to drag our golf clubs from Orlando to New York so does anyone know if virgin can transfer them to New York or do you happen to know if any companies that I could ship them back to the uk with?

Cheers in advance for all your help

Matt

2012 Orlando- Two weeks of Golfing fun
2013 Orlando- Two weeks of Golf, Shopping and Parks
2014 Orlando- Two more weeks of Golf and Touring
matt71 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Hello. There are lots of the ads on how best to do this on the general planning forum. It is a very popular option.

Some people do it in the middle some at the end. We have found that doing it first is generally cheaper as flights to NYC are cheaper than Orlando.

So we do BA customise your trip fly to NYC get hotel with BA so get hotel discount, get car in Florida and flight back from Orlando indirect.

We buy the internal flights with JetBlue (well under 100 depending on when purchased we have paid 45 -80) , also southwestern have been reasonable.

Don't know answer re golf clubs sorry. Is hiring locally not an option or rent a villa which provides clubs? (Shows I am not a golfer lol)

Edited at 01:47 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

No experience, but I'd imagine you could fedex them or similar. That might incur import charges. the rules are different if you bring something to if you send it...I know that much.

I'm also sure you will be able to transfer them to New York...cost I'm unsure of.

From zero experience, I'd say all options are open, it'll be a case of weighing them up.
Old 7 Jul 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
matt71
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you both for your quick replies

Food for thought

2012 Orlando- Two weeks of Golfing fun
2013 Orlando- Two weeks of Golf, Shopping and Parks
2014 Orlando- Two more weeks of Golf and Touring
matt71 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

LOkk for sales at JetBlue and Southwest. You can get
email notifications of both. Southwest will notify you if your fare drops and you can rebook at the lowerfare for free. Money is returned as credit which must be used in one year.

Both airlines have excellent customer service. Soutwest has some flight crews that can be very funny and lots of fun.

ETA: Both these airlines tend to fly full flights.

Edited at 02:52 PM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Look at preset or clubhub for club rental usually a discount code
Available delivery and picked up from your accomadation
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

We have done this. At the time Delta had the best price on flights. Keep a lookout on Skyscanner at the prices% we flew from MCO into La Guardia as it’s the closest to Manhatten
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

I only know flying into Newark Liberty International Airport which is technically New Jersey but counts as a 'New York' Airport. From there you can ride the AirTrain to the Newark Liberty Train Station, transfer to Newark Penn Station and from there get a train into Manhattan - either New York Penn Station (pay attention, that's two different Penn stations) or even a train into the Finance Sector by the World Trade Center.

Try to avoid Amtrak as the fares are much cheaper on New Jersey transit and you can buy train tickets at the Airport at the bottom of the escalator up to the AirTrain Terminal stations (A, B or C)

Obviously you could get a Taxi or SuperShuttle but the train is so easy there's no need to.

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Assuming you are doing multi city ticketing with the airline from the UK you can use Delta, American or the budget airlines ( JetBlue etc) to go to New York , I like to fly into Newark but I also prefer staying in Jersey City as you get more bang for your buck on hotels over there.

Delta will take golf clubs as checked baggage for a charge , their website gives you all the info , checking them in Florida will be far cheaper than trying to arrange shipping home which will be very expensive especially if you have to pay customs charges.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
If you can fly into LaGuardia that’s the easiest to get into the city. Another option for you which I have done before is a mini break to New York in the middle of the holiday. Leaving you golf clubs and other luggage in the hotel (you could even just get a cheap room in Orlando if you are worried about cost) you may find it easier with your rtn flight too especially if travelling from London as mco tends to be from lgw and nyc tend to fly to lhr. Just a thought to consider.
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List