Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 9 Jul 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

I enjoyed it, but not as much as the reviewers. Didn't find it scary at all and the gore was Hammer Horror quality. Having said that I'd watch Florence Pugh open a tin of beans.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Saw it yesterday and loved it. I thought the gore was very realistic, disturbingly so! I can’t believe how loud Ari Aster’s films are, though. Had to put my hands over my ears a couple of times (but I kept my eyes open throughout)
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds as if it may be worth seeing then?
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Seeing as we are retired we like to go to the afternoon cinema about once a fortnight.

Sadly if a Grandchild is with us that would be to see Peppa Pig The Movie.

However I get Meerkat codes, I also get an over 60 discount and my Wife gets a loyalty discount. They must make about £1.50 on us!

Going to see Midsommar tomorrow, I will report back.
How was it Mr Tom?
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OK, here goes. Firstly we watched it in a cinema that has awesome sound. So the music and speech was varying between surround sound and then one or two speakers. Excellent.

From there it goes down hill! The Ladies in there reminded me of those sad women you see in 1930's Nazi propaganda films. Weirdo's!
All plaited hair, long dresses and clapping their hands in tandem. Mmmm.

Then we come to the sex scene. Well Ladies good morning begins with Gillette! I defy any Man to 'perform' with 12 Ladies watching you and clapping. Maybe just me!
Personally I prefer a dark room and just one other person, namely not a Nazi hand maiden!

So, was it worth paying for 1 ticket as mine was free? Yes probably. However it was predicatable, overly long and just ok.

My Wife preferred Peppa Pig, I probably did as well as at least he didn't have some wrinkly 50 year old slapping his . Mmm, better stop here.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 09:48 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OK, here goes. Firstly we watched it in a cinema that has awesome sound. So the music and speech was varying between surround sound and then one or two speakers. Excellent.

From there it goes down hill! The Ladies in there reminded me of those sad women you see in 1930's Nazi propaganda films. Weirdo's!
All plaited hair, long dresses and clapping their hands in tandem. Mmmm.

Then we come to the sex scene. Well Ladies good morning begins with Gillette! I defy any Man to 'perform' with 12 Ladies watching you and clapping. Maybe just me!
Personally I prefer a dark room and just one other person, namely not a Nazi hand maiden!

So, was it worth paying for 1 ticket as mine was free? Yes probably. However it was predicatable, overly long and just ok.

My Wife preferred Peppa Pig, I probably did as well as at least he didn't have some wrinkly 50 year old slapping his . Mmm, better stop here.
Move over Barry Norman!
Good review Tom...I may reconsider seeing this now.
Old 11 Jul 19, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Move over Barry Norman!
Good review Tom...I may reconsider seeing this now.
after seeing this post my first thought was oooo a Midsomer Murders film... THEN I read Mr TM' s review... and my mind was doing somersaults... really?... Nazi's? sex?

THEN I actually read the thread...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

We wanted to see it until we found out it was by the same director as Hereditary which we thought was god awful, despite the hype.

Maybe if it wasn't so long we'd still give it a chance! One for NowTV I think, that way if we get bored we can fast forward to the end...
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
We keep seeing adverts for this billled as the biggest horror story of the summer. Anyone planning on seeing it?
Looks very spooky!
Can't comment OP - not my sort of film
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

if anyone is wondering, its a modern day wicker man

i saw it at the weekend and loved it. however i found some of the directing style and audio mixing to be really jarring. i was sat with the remote control fiddling with the sound levels for half of the film (really quiet spoken bits, then a really loud sound effect or music, alternate and repeat - i'm assuming its a deliberate design choice by the director to put you in a constant state of unease, and it works i guess)

apparently theres a directors cut on itunes, so may have to see if that version adds anything to the normal theatrical release...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List