Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Jul 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Pluto76
Helping Minnie

Ford Escape boot size?

We have booked BA fly drive collecting group F car (Avis) which is Ford Escape or similar collecting from Tampa.
There are 4 of us, on arrival we'll have 2 large cases 1 cabin case, 3 rucksacks and a wheelchair. Going home will be an extra suitcase.
I'm getting worried that the boot will not be big enough, previously we've had Dodge caravan but was much more expensive this time.
Can anyone who is familiar with this car let me know what they think please?
Thanks
Pluto76 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
The Escape is the Ford Kuga here. Have you got a Ford dealer near you that you could nip to and have a little look?

I can't help further than that but I suspect everything will hinge on the size of the chair and its ability to fold down maybe.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Pluto76
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
The Escape is the Ford Kuga here. Have you got a Ford dealer near you that you could nip to and have a little look?

I can't help further than that but I suspect everything will hinge on the size of the chair and its ability to fold down maybe.
Thank you, will have a look about Ford dealer might just phone up and get quote for next size up.
Pluto76 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Concurs with Mr TM and your next size up comment should not be a great leap in price.
Old 11 Jul 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Pluto76
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Concurs with Mr TM and your next size up comment should not be a great leap in price.
Just spoken to BA quoted for group W Ford Edge £88 more or group S Ford Explorer £207 more - includes admin fee. (We're going on July 29th for 19 nights)

When I look online though on the Avis/BA site to upgrade to group S would be £109 - which I'd be happy with but not sure how it works online do I pay balance then?

We are members of Avis preferred, have you ever been offered free upgrade?
Old 11 Jul 19, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I'm out sorry! I know very little about Avis and BA so will leave it to those in the know.

Best of luck.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pluto76 View Post
Just spoken to BA quoted for group W Ford Edge £88 more or group S Ford Explorer £207 more - includes admin fee. (We're going on July 29th for 19 nights)

When I look online though on the Avis/BA site to upgrade to group S would be £109 - which I'd be happy with but not sure how it works online do I pay balance then?

We are members of Avis preferred, have you ever been offered free upgrade?
If it's via the post I created for checking indicative prices, don't upgrade via that site, you need to do it in the phone as with. BA, they don't upgrade your car hire, they cancel and rebook it.

I would suggest you re call ba and ask for an upgrade price for a Group W, S, Z (full size) and L (premium suv) in order to be able to make an informed decision as sometimes the different in price of the top 2 is close to a standard in some instances.

In regards to the upgrade price, this is subjective to the amount you have paid as part of the fly drive package, if you log into your booking via the AVIS app it will show you the value of your prepaid voucher.
Adding the already quoted prices of £88/£207 to this value will provide more of a true cost for the upgrade.. Ie.. If your voucher is worth £300 it would be classed as a good deal, however if vauled at £600 maybe not so.

In regards to your initial question regarding boot space, the escape is small ish, I have never had one, but in a Ford Edge, 3 cases, 1 holdall, 1 stroller was tight and that was 2 adults 2 kids.

You also have the option of a suitcase on the rear seat in the middle between the rear occupants if needed with hand luggage in footwells if rucksacks rather than cabin cases.

Edited at 11:10 AM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Pluto76
Helping Minnie

Thank you yes it was via your thread that I got the upgrade price which unlike the majority of people was cheaper online than via the phone! I think I'll give them a ring again tomorrow quoting the price I got online.
Our voucher is worth £629 group F and online group W is same price (phone upgrade £88) group S online £119 upgrade (phone £207).
Thanks for advice about the size.
Old 11 Jul 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
prt2
Very Serious Dibber

Have you considered checking the 7 seater option (Town and Country or similar)
Back seats can fold down for luggage and chair.
Would be plenty of room without luggage !
prt2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List