Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 16 Jul 19, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
:) A Mi11ion Dreams = 2018 - Day 26- A Sci-Fi first, Slinky Dog and Fantasmic!

Welcome back and as always thanks for sticking with this report until the very end.
Nearly there now as is the countdown - 7 days

As always, thanks for all the comments and PM's asking for info or advice - always happy to help.

Our previous day - Day 25 is a click here away.

The index to all of 2018 is here

and as always the index of all trips and all previous reports can be read by clicking here

There is now even a Pre Trip report for 2019 - you can read all of that by clicking here

Prolific posting I hear you cry in exasperation of getting to the end

Welcome to Day 26

Monday 20th August 2018

After last night’s storm there was not a cloud in the sky this morning.

We decided to make the most of it with time in the pool and some rays being enjoyed a continuation of the pool volleyball competition.

We had a bit of a plan for today and it did involve a late start and the boys were oblivious to what we had been planning too!

We had an in house lunch which was a sandwich and crisps whilst enjoying the pool and in the end I think the heat even did for the boys.

They were happy to sit in the shade an catch up on YouTube, the highlights of the Scarborough match from Saturday.

By the time the Liverpool game came on the tv (3pm) we were showered and ready for the studios, instead of taking the car we got an Uber for just $12!

Right up to the parking lot and got on the tram - now that was a mistake!

The usual route into the park was now shut as of today and tbh you would be better walking as the entry to the park required a bit of finding today.

Even a security officer noted the difference from yesterday- the tram circle and Disney Bus circle were all cordoned off amid new building work, the end of the tram trip was just to the bottom end of the television parking lot, it went no further! She did laugh at me taking photos of the construction work that had started!

It seemed strange being in here without the car and we still had plenty of time before we had a fast pass, time for a pit stop then!

Joe had another Starbucks peach iced tea, josh a frozen lemonade cup and we had a beer whilst people watching and deciding what to do next - we checked the wait times and decided we would make a move towards the Slinky Dog.
Not before a quick photo though!

The 60 minute queue was just 40 in reality and was quick moving too.

It was good to come and ride it again as I had not booked too many fast passes as it was great to be able to do TSM rock and roller and Tower of Terror.

It was good to have another chance to experience this new ride and very probably when Star Wars land opens so the queue times will be a little more bareable as an hour is not usually within my patience level!

We then had our TSM fast pass and were ushered to the newest part of the ride- the theming in here is especially good – for the record, and I say this very quietly Josh won by 7000 points.

As we departed Toy Story Land today, with it being less manic than previous visits too, we got it so much more.

Yes, we love the theming, but today we saw a place that in a couple of years time - will be an escape zone for so many, a place to avoid Star Wars and a place to embrace everything that is in Andy’s back yard.

Having queued 45 minutes to ride Slinky Dog again , it is admittedly better than the 7 dwarfs mine train, although not as well themed. The ride photo could be improved though.

The ride this time, was enjoyable and I did not take any photos of star wars land honest

Things are changing so quickly here that if we came back next week I am sure the difference wound be noted.

Building work on the other side - was most noticeable and I can only hope they manage to get some form of circular route from Toy Story into the Muppets area.

It could help the flow of the park and possibly make more people aware of The Muppets part of the park.

Alison and I then went to the Baseline Tap House, just to reminisce about the old Writers Stop and enjoyed a craft beer and a blood orange hard cider.

The Baseline Tap House replaced the very lovely Writer’s Stop coffee shop, I’m sure coffee, buns books and kitchen utensils don’t turn around money like a brew pub like this.

It was 10 times busier than the Writers Stop ever got and it did get busier too.
The charcuterie board looked rather good too – noted for the future!( I stopped short of taking a photo of someone else's food though)

The boys went pin trading and across the park and a whatsapp call later we arranged a meeting spot.

Not before some park photos - at this rate you don't know what will be here next week , never mind next visit.

We, however, ended up in the little Christmas shop in search of an elusive bauble, just to continue the tradition. A tradition that now costs $25 a throw.

Worth it though, as it reminds us all of the summer adventures when the Christmas tree goes up!

We then met up at Tower of Terror- we found ourselves in the back row for once, which then means we don’t spoil anyone else’s photo!

By this time we had a little something up our sleeve, right back in the dim and distant past of nearly three weeks ago we had saved a table service credit on the dining plan, as the kids both ate from the children’s menu at Citricos, we had discussed where they wanted to eat and the very first place that Joe suggested was the Sci- Fi diner, he had researched it, continually, since it did not make the ADR list when they were booked - we wanted something more Epcot based and whilst using the dining plan had a meal in Epcot as a result of them have a children's meal paid OOP - tonight was a bit of payback for that night, when obviously they starved to death on such meagre rations

Anyway, having looked repeatedly for a reservation that fitted close to any of our plans last night we found one.

Possibly due to Fantasmic now having its first show time of 8.30.

We knew our fast pass for Rock n Roller would be tough to make, but to be honest this was just a way of ending the whole trip with an unexpected treat.

The boys never suspected nor expected anything and with a birthday pin snagged, whilst they were pin trading, it was a blast to just suggest we go there for dinner.

The group in front had the same spiel about booking months in advance that we had received on our last visit.

We still had to wait for 25 mins for our car to arrive, so the Baseline Tap House came in handy, the boys got a sprite and at this point we discovered that all soft drinks were refillable, always worth noting for the future. We also had some free popcorn that was situated behind the Sci - Fi podium.

We had never been here ever and remained on tenterhooks as to what it would bring.

It was nothing like we had imagined, it was quieter than we thought, with an air of collective calm in the air, punctuated by the soundtrack of the movie or adverts. It took our breath away, it really did just hold us in awe.

Answers on a postcard for the answer to this one though

A-Empty
B- Telling me it's your round
C - Free.

We settled and after lots of photos and the use of phone light to read the menu we all decided on burgers.

They were beautifully cooked and my request for a medium rare burger was excellent as was the difference to Alison’s medium well.

To pay for this out of pocket was worth every cent and together with the excellent server we had a perfect meal here.

It was a huge surprise and one that means I think we will be back! (We already have an out of pocket ADR for the new trip)

By the time we were finished we had missed our R’n’R fast pass, we made plans to watch the film show on the Chinese theatre which presently stands with just a coming soon sign and some new boards adorning the front.

Alison and Josh missed this film show last year and it was once more well worth watching and a fitting tribute to the memory of Walt Disney and the films that once made this a theme park about films and the history of Hollywood.

Cultural visit complete, along with the original film of One Man’s Dream this really did mean that in 2018 we were fortunate enough to see both.

We did not stay for the Star Wars fireworks, but, ensured we got to Fantasmic in good time.

The wind tonight allowed for much clearer viewing of the water projections and also ensured that the smoke did not linger on the stage- we enjoyed it once more and Joe had a family in front who all wore glow with the show ears- this meant he could watch the show rather than be transfixed by his own ears!

Breathtakingly special - as always

We exited and got the boat to Boardwalk, we felt it would be better to pick up an Uber here given the car park changes today at The Studios.

We got an Uber back and with just $30 spent on transport as opposed to $22 on parking the car

Now, that does seem to add further questions about future car hire options and especially when the new charges for staying on site with a car, come into operation.

I can imagine there being a few discussions about this in the future. I will try to remain objective about it for now
In the meantime - I'm thinking of becoming an Uber driver in eth Orlando area, as this will be the way to go for everyone in the future

I sat up typing this rather than going to bed - the whole thought of not wanting to go home, was hitting me hard.

It got to 2-39 in the morning when I knew reality should become a case of dreams fulfilled- a million of them?
If you have read every single day of this report – you would know it has been more!

And we were still not finished, however tonight, It was time for sleep.

See you real soon for day 27 and thank you so much for reading

DAY 27 is just a click here away

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 10:03 PM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for another good report. Phone torches are best for the Scifi Diner! We found it fun but too dark for us.
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Nice surprise for the boys glad you al enjoyed your meal
Old 16 Jul 19, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mrs Red C View Post
Thanks for another good report. Phone torches are best for the Scifi Diner! We found it fun but too dark for us.
Glad you enjoyed reading and I do have to admit they could do with a little more light in there just to see what you are eating 😂

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
It sounds like another lovely laid back day. I'm glad you managed to fit in a few beers. We've not made it to Baseline Tap yet, we prioritised HBD lounge as Geoffa had recommended the martini and margarita flights to me they were well worth it though and thinking about them now I might have to squeeze in a visit to the lounge again this year. Hmm, baseline tap may have just been bumped again.

We've done sci fi once and it was a great restaurant, the kids would love to go back one day it's another one to add to the list!

I'm glad you got a last Fantasmic in. Aahh I'm so looking forward to that, think we will try and go for it on day 2 as our first fireworks. Fingers crossed the jet lag and lunchtime beers at Rose and Crown don't mean we are too sleepy

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
desa
I have Ears

What a lovely day !

I have read all of your trip report and sounds like you all had a wonderful time with more to come in 2019 !

We go back to Orlando on August 3rd for 2 weeks, 4th time since March 2016 and we cant wait ! Love reading your trip reports

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Desa
desa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

For some reason sci fi diner has never really grabbed me but your food photos are making me think again, your burgers look really tasty!
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

40 minutes standby for Slinky is fantastic! I’d prefer to use my Tier 1 FP on TSM but OH has outvoted me and wanted Slinky so I have relented in the hope TSM will be an easy 4th+ FP once the new tiers arrive. Pray for me! I think I prefer Mine Train and was surprised how tame Slinky was, as from the ground it has more of a fear factor. A fabulous family coaster though and a very much needed addition to HS.

Love the bauble you chose; we may have to keep an eye out for that one. We have amassed so many over the years that sometimes we struggle to remember which we have and which we don’t.

I’ve found Sci-Fi amongst the toughest ADRs to pick up if you don’t book at 180 days, so pleased for Joe that you managed to nab one. So glad you enjoyed it, we are big fans and I am adamant they are the best burgers in Disney. Although D-Luxe are now a worthy contender. You are also right about it being great value OOP!
I am so sad we never got to see the Movie Magic show!

Genius idea to get the Uber at the Boardwalk, the HS car park was an absolute nightmare last year. It also makes me feel very smug that you got one up on Disney’s ridiculous parking prices by giving Uber your money instead. I am sure somewhere some executive is drafting a plan for a drop off fee as a counteract.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

A lovely surprise for the boys, Sci-fi looks like a fun experience. The burgers looked good too!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 06:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

What a fantastic packed day, some great photos and memories made.
The Uber does sound like it could be the way forward! The onsite parking charges have made me question cars too.