Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 18 Dec 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Someone on here posted a lovely pulled pork recipe that I did with bread rolls, coleslaw and potato wedges. It went down a treat and was so easy to do.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

I love the tesco range for a cheap and easy buffet. All cooked at the same temperature so I just write down all of the times and pop them in the oven then put them on plates for everyone to take.
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

We are having a party on the 28th and food for say 40. Not sure what to do. Fancy couple of Boston butts for pulled pork and loads of rolls etc. Keep it hot in oven/slow cooker. But will people expect a traditional buffet. Might just use table as a large plate and place all food on top...
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
anniee
Imagineer

I find main dishes easier to do than snacky foods as your head is never out the oven, lol.

I do brisket in the slow cooker, mac cheese, nachos, salad and crusty bread.

Or chicken wings (marinated in soy sauce, garlic and ginger), tuna pasta, prawns with noodles and mini baked potatoes.

Plan it so you are doing as little as possible when you have your guests there.
Old 18 Dec 18, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I’ve mostly given up on the traditional buffet now and tend to go for 1 or 2 meats, wedges or jackets and/or crusty brad and a few salads/dips... occasionally I’ll add a side of salmon... less waste and much less hassle...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Thank you to everyone who replied some really good ideas there
Old 19 Dec 18, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

On Xmas eve I'll do a finger buffet with a selection of stuff from Tesco and M&S, all bung in the oven type things. This is for 6 people. On Saturday We're having somewhere between 10-20 people and I'm doing a pulled pork in the slow cooker (with baguettes, coleslaw, salad etc) and a Quorn chilli (with rice, sour cream, salsa, cheese etc). I find the second option easier as I'll cook it all earlier in the day and just have to warm it up and cook the rice in the evening. The finger food type stuff can take quite a while putting things in and out of the oven.

If you wanted a cold buffet you could have a ham, side of salmon, smoked salmon, prawn cocktail or similar. You could do a cold rice/pasta salad, cold new potatoes, nice breads, potato salad, coleslaw and salads. Then you could have cheese, chutneys, crackers and stuff...
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 18, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

Think I have come to a conclusion. Will be doing 7kg or pulled pork. Lots of rolls, bbq and apple sauce. And an oven full of roasters. Then sticks, dips, nuts and crisps. Might also do cheese, pickles and buiscuits...

There will be circa 40, any thoughts?
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 18, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Apricota View Post
Think I have come to a conclusion. Will be doing 7kg or pulled pork. Lots of rolls, bbq and apple sauce. And an oven full of roasters. Then sticks, dips, nuts and crisps. Might also do cheese, pickles and buiscuits...

There will be circa 40, any thoughts?
Sounds good - but are there any vegetarians or non-pork eaters?
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 18, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

No vegetarians or none pork eaters. One celiac so can make him some bread