Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 30 Jan 19, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
nicki2014
slightly serious Dibber

best camera for couples

There is just the two of us going to Orlando and we were planning to just use our phones for pictures but for days like Universal when we are out all day I don't think the batteries would last. What camera and accessories would you recommend for a couple? I was looking at the Hero 7 with the handler but that's probably only good for video and I think we would take more pictures than videos- we would need something to take a decent selfie for the times when there are no memory maker photographers around

COMPLETE-DLP 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, DLR, CA- 2007, WDW- offsite 2008, offsite 2009, SSR 2010, SSR 2012, SSR/ GF/ HRH 2014, SSR 2015, MA/ NYC/ NJ- 2015
nicki2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 19, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

If it just because of the battery life I don’t think I would go to the expense of a new camera I would just buy a power bank. It will come in handy for the phones throughout your trip.
There are lots of memory maker photographers- we came home with 700 photos !
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
nicki2014
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
If it just because of the battery life I don’t think I would go to the expense of a new camera I would just buy a power bank. It will come in handy for the phones throughout your trip.
There are lots of memory maker photographers- we came home with 700 photos !
that was my thinking too but my fiancé is keen on investing in a camera

COMPLETE-DLP 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, DLR, CA- 2007, WDW- offsite 2008, offsite 2009, SSR 2010, SSR 2012, SSR/ GF/ HRH 2014, SSR 2015, MA/ NYC/ NJ- 2015
nicki2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 19, 04:46 AM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

Based on your original post I would say power bank. But, if you want a camera, what are you looking for and how much to spend? What features are important to you... size, image quality, performance in low light (most cameras will do well in the Florida sunshine but grim days in the UK or indoor performance will see better cameras stand out massively). Do you want a compact or one with changeable lenses?
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 19, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Apprentice Imagineer

I've had a number of Panasonic Lumix TZxx cameras where xx is a number - I've had 20, 60, not because they don't last but because we keep drowning them in beer, coke and other damage (we got insurance on the last one learning from our mistake - we used it within 3 months *sigh*)

Anyway, they are brilliant - fit in your hand easily/comfortably, easy to take photos with one hand, but not too high a price - the TZ70 is about £199 which isn't the cheapest cheap camera out there. Very sharp, lovely photos - can take I think up to a 128gb SD card but we stick to 64gb and that will last me a 2 week holiday (with a LOT of pics) - too many pics on a card that you then lose (or drown in beer) means more photos lost.

I leave it on auto and let it do the work but it has scenes, panorama, flash and a bunch of stuff I'll never use, plus a manual focus function that's great when the auto focus insists the marks on the window are more important than the thing behind the window

That said I went to Disney/EPCOT yesterday and just took two phones (UK and US) and a powerbank

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

Edited at 06:49 AM.
TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 19, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

I’m siding with the power bank idea. This would however depend on what phone you have and the quality of the camera on the phone.

When we went in October, we just used our phones and took about 1000 pics each (iPhone 8 and Galaxy S9). We had a power bank with us and didn’t have to worry about batteries running low. Don’t forget that there are a good many power outlets that you can use in the park too.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

I agree with the Lumix tz range. I’ve had 2 over the years and in general have been very happy with the photos.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I’ve got s lumix tz10 I’ve been using for at least 10 years. Still a cracking camera.

Don’t rely on one memory card for the whole holiday with no backups. They can fail.

Last year I used an iPhone sd card reader and copied all my camera photos onto my phone and backed them up in google photos.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
nicki2014
slightly serious Dibber

thank you everyone for your advice- he has decided on the Lumix TZ90. I have seen a selfie stick on Amazon which would be ok for Disney as it isn't extendable and it has a separate button to take the pictures, it appears to work for both phones and cameras. The issue is it is only £7, are they likely to be rubbish for holding the camera? I have looked at the brand name ones, like Gorilla, that are £30-£50 but there doesn't appear to be one that covers phone and camera together and they don't appear to have the separate button

Old 28 Feb 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

If it was me I'd leave any sticks behind and just ask a cast member to take your photo. Anything longer than about 6 inches and I can see security frowning over it's use

If you do want a handle for video or anything the Manfrotto Pixi is a great option. It also doubles as a small tripod so you can pop your camera on a bin and get some steady shots. Stick it on timer mode and you'd easily be able to get a photo of yourself if nobody is around to help.
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List