Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 5 Jun 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Another one who thought that this was really compelling tv. Enjoyed might be the wrong word, but I was enthralled.
sam_b is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I must say this is one of the best dramas we have watched for a long time.

However doesn't it make you focus on how strange the whole of the old Soviet Republic was and continues to this day.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I must say this is one of the best dramas we have watched for a long time.

However doesn't it make you focus on how strange the whole of the old Soviet Republic was and continues to this day.
My Auntie married my uncle and came over to this country in the 1960s from Czechoslavakia and until the fall of the Soviet union had all her telephone calls back home listened to. She tells some stories that are totally unbelievable to us but every day life for her family.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Kem99
Trying for More Ears

I had this on my facebook, wish I had a spare room. I highlighted the part that tugged at my heartstrings. If anyone is interested maybe you could check with your own local authority. As a foster carer I know how rewarding bringing a smile to a kids face can be.

The HBO mini-series – Chernobyl has been getting great reviews. The final part went out this week, but the story isn’t over. You can help to give it a happier ending.

Local charity, 'Friends of Chernobyls Children West Lothian' are looking for new host families for next years respite visits.

They bring groups of children, aged 7 to 12, from the poverty stricken contaminated areas in Belarus to West Lothian for a month of love and care.

The children arrive with only the clothes they are standing in, eat our uncontaminated food and play in our uncontaminated air for a month and then go home with great memories and a full suitcase of clothes,toys and vitamins, knowing that the people of West Lothian love them very much, until they return the next year. The children can come for up to five visits.

The charity are looking for loving host families to love and care for these wonderful children during their time in West Lothian in 2020 and beyond. It’s a hugely rewarding experience with such excitement as the time nears for your child to visit or return again.

Don’t worry if you work. The charity puts on a full programme of outings from 8.15 to 5.30 every weekday.

For more information go to foccwestlothian/beco...st-family.html and contact the charity via the contact button on the website.
Old 18 Jun 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Brennanhough
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I have just booked a weekend mini break to Kiev-early October and planning on visiting Chernobyl whilst we are there.

Really good prices, direct Ryanair fights from Manchester too, which I think is a new route.

Realise it’s a bit macabre but I’ve wanted to go for years, the TV show has kind of pushed me further to finally go.

I will let you know how it is!
Brennanhough is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Brennanhough View Post
I have just booked a weekend mini break to Kiev-early October and planning on visiting Chernobyl whilst we are there.

Really good prices, direct Ryanair fights from Manchester too, which I think is a new route.

Realise it’s a bit macabre but I’ve wanted to go for years, the TV show has kind of pushed me further to finally go.

I will let you know how it is!
Go and visit the holodomor museum too, I didn't know anything about this until we went last year it was completely hidden from the world for about 30 years before it came to light, a famine across Ukraine instigated by Russia and starving millions to death. Have you booked your hotel yet? I can reccommend the staro if you haven't,

Edited at 10:21 PM.
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Brennanhough
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
Go and visit the holodomor museum too, I didn't know anything about this until we went last year it was completely hidden from the world for about 30 years before it came to light, a famine across Ukraine instigated by Russia and starving millions to death. Have you booked your hotel yet? I can reccommend the staro if you haven't,
Thank you- we have actually booked a package via a friend who works at a high street agent - was cheaper than DIY and I’d prefer a little extra protection going somewhere like that...

Just read about the Holodomor. Wow, mind completely blown. I’ll be sure to check that out.

Thank you for the tips- anymore you have would be greatly welcomed!
Brennanhough is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Taxis were dirt cheap , food is a bit hit and miss, we went with a friend who's family came from Ukraine so we ate mostly in local restaurants . But you can get western food if you want it, the builings especially the churches are beautiful, we did a local sightseeing trip with a guide booked at the hotel ,she was excellent and took us all over Kiev. It was about £25pp and well worth it. I can't remember the names of the places we visited, but if you Google top 10 tourist attractions in Kiev it will bring them up.
We went 20th Dec and it was -10 And snow .I loved it and I'm sure you will too
I should also add that if you can't get to Chernobyl for what ever reason ( we were advised against it due to political situation with Russia at the time ) there is a Chernobyl museum in Kiev bit it is closed on Sundays

Edited at 11:49 AM.
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
As the weather was so miserable last Wednesday, we sat and watch all of it At times we wanted to shout at the screen, saying "Get out of the area"

It was a brilliant series, and like others we also remember the children coming over from Chernobyl to stay.

About two years ago our son went with some work mates for a long weekend, and managed to go on the tour of Chernobyl. They really enjoyed it and since he has read up about it all. As it was the year he was born.

They also went to bar where they put a metal helmit on and they pour vodka on and set light to it, something they had seem on You tube

Lesley and Melvin