Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 31 May 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tynxuk
Very Serious Dibber

Newbie - Decisions

We have been considering DVC for a while and did a bit of research but parked it as couldn't really afford it outright and weren't willing to use credit. We now have some money coming to us in August so have resumed research.
We really like the look of OKW for our family of 5 and plan to go for 2 weeks every 2 or 3 years in a 1 bed villa so thinking around 200 points would work for us.
Whilst this seems we have our minds made up I have over thought this by window shopping on DVCresalemarket and discovered SSR may offer better value for the future as our eldest is currently 14 and she will be nearly 16 when we go next so not potentially too long before we will be going as a family of 4.
Also SSR deeds expire 2054 whereas OKW are mostly 2042 and dues are lower at SSR. I did look at Vero beach but realistically it's not a resort we are likely to go to and the dues being over $2 more than OKW it will not be the cheaper option long term.
If we were to buy 200 points at SSR would there be availability of 1 bed villas at OKW at the 7 month window or would we have to 'walk' our bookings for potentially end of August or December (hopefully I understand that right)?
If our next stay in 2021 we choose to have 7 nights with free dining at CSR (obviously dependent on offer) and 7 nights at our DVC will we get 60 days FP for our entire stay or will it work out on an individual booking basis?
Will we eligible to buy 25 points through Disney to get the 'perks' once members through resale? Am I missing anything on our options? TIA
2021?
Tynxuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

1 beds are pretty wide open. August you could book a 1 bed in any resort at 7 months currently no problem. This also includes most views. End of August is about the quietest DVC time of the year.
Christmas is about the busiest time of the year, but it’s pretty busy Back end of September through to end of first week in January. Even so, in 1 beds you will have choices bang on 7 months. You will almost certainly be able to book OKW no problem, probably Boulder Ridge, Animal Kingdom Kidani, Boardwalk and even Beach Club is often open even at peak, peak times. You can also put in waitlists or just keep checking and you will stand a good chance of many resorts. For example, I go on 20 December and got Beach Club for 6 nights, then BLT for 5 (split stay deliberate, not forced).
So you’ll often see people saying buy where you want to stay and bemoaning availibility, but it’s a different kettle of fish in 1 beds.
Both OKW and SSR are great resorts, but given you can always get OKW in a 1 bed anyway, buy SSR if it’s cheaper and unless it’s an OKW extended contract.
Remember, availibility can change. However, I see studios getting harder to book at 7 months but not 1 beds at the moment. Studios will continue to get harder to book, as prices go up and more people can only afford to buy for studios. Given prices are forever rising, it seems 1 beds are not ‘tightening’ on availibility as studios are.
If you can afford the extra dues and are buying to ‘sleep around’ you are much better off buying SSR at nearly half price and buying twice as many points than you are buying a more expensive resort and just getting enough points for a studio. If you can score a studio at 7 months, and want one, you can always rent your excess points that will pay for that year’s dues across the entire contract.
To get perks you must now buy 75 points, the 25 point ship sailed last year.
Old 1 Jun 19, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Tynxuk
Very Serious Dibber

thanks for that, it was last year I was looking into it so that's good to know. What about FPs on split stays? do Disney link them consecutively so all can be done 60 days from the first booking or do you have to wait for the second 60 days for second booking?
Now thinking the perks of buying direct from Disney won't be worth bothering with for us, we won't be getting APs any time in the foreseeable future or ticketed events and we don't do table service meals.
For my calculations I prorata'd the initial cost using the deed expiration date then added the 2019 dues and whilst SSR cost more per point the lower dues and extra years make them better value.
2021?
Tynxuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tynxuk View Post
thanks for that, it was last year I was looking into it so that's good to know. What about FPs on split stays? do Disney link them consecutively so all can be done 60 days from the first booking or do you have to wait for the second 60 days for second booking?
Now thinking the perks of buying direct from Disney won't be worth bothering with for us, we won't be getting APs any time in the foreseeable future or ticketed events and we don't do table service meals.
For my calculations I prorata'd the initial cost using the deed expiration date then added the 2019 dues and whilst SSR cost more per point the lower dues and extra years make them better value.
Not tried it yet, but it’s meant to be working again now for 60 days from first day of stay for FP (did stop working when they did the recent limitations to stop abuse, but they supposedly fixed it for DVC).
You sound v similar to me re perks, I get them but I saved a minimal amount and went into Epcot Lounge twice last year. We also eat mostly quick serve now.

Edited at 06:28 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

When I booked my dining reservations it wasn't working and I had to wait until 180 days from my 2nd reservation to book the rest. Fastpasses are up at the end of June so I could tell you then if you can do all of it or not.
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Likewise for SK our ADR window didn't work but I called MS & they got the ones I was looking for, the rest I knew I could get, they have "assured" me that FP+ will be ok but it's July before I will know for sure.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I have two dvc reservations and was able to book 14 days from checkin of the first one. For some reason I had to wait one day for my very last day to
open up.

We don’t make ADRs so I didn’t notice how they had opened those.

Availability at OKW never seems to be an issue but would you be happy staying t SSR if you had too?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Tynxuk
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Availability at OKW never seems to be an issue but would you be happy staying t SSR if you had too?
Good point, do you know if they allow 5 people in a 1 bed at SSR? I understand they state for 4 however sure I read somewhere you can have 5 if you supply your own bedding ie sleeping bag (or maybe dreamed it as can't find where I read it).
Or would it be wiser too budget for a 2 bed at SSR (extra 98 points for 2 weeks than 1 bed at OKW)? We have only looked around OKW and like what we saw although the point difference for a larger space at SSR with the little we know of SSR it is appealing.
2021?
Old 4 Jun 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tynxuk View Post
Good point, do you know if they allow 5 people in a 1 bed at SSR? I understand they state for 4 however sure I read somewhere you can have 5 if you supply your own bedding ie sleeping bag (or maybe dreamed it as can't find where I read it).
Or would it be wiser too budget for a 2 bed at SSR (extra 98 points for 2 weeks than 1 bed at OKW)? We have only looked around OKW and like what we saw although the point difference for a larger space at SSR with the little we know of SSR it is appealing.
All 1 beds take 5 people, save for AKL Value I'm not sure about. Edit- sorry I forgot due to size limitations and fire codes, only 4 are allowed in the 1 beds at Copper Creek (Boulder Ridge takes 5).

Ones with 5 sleep surfaces where you don't need a readybed/ air mattress are Riviera, BLT, Kidani/AKL, OKW, VGF.

It's strange they haven't put the pull down bed in more of them as 1 beds have 1 less sleep surface often than studios. They say it's a space issue but personally I think one could fit. May be fire codes.

The upside is 1 beds are not as desirable for double points if studios and thus makes them even easier to book at 7 months. It's a good trade off for me, I like the availibility and would prefer for them not to get cheaper or more desirable.

Given BLT, then VGF then Riviera all had the pull down in 1 beds as stand alone constructions, we may see the same with Reflections. CCV was converted hotel rooms, and space is much tighter.

BLT is strange as it has some of the smallest studios but amazing 1beds.

Edited at 09:48 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List