Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Jun 19, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Travel Sickness Medication Recommendations - Non drowsy please

***Update post 7 ***

I don't generally suffer with travel sickness but on my last few flights have been feeling quite clammy and queasy towards the last couple of hours of a 7 or 8 hour flight.

(The smell of cooking cheese doesn't help either.)

Anyway this year we're flying to Los Angeles so a couple more hours in the air than I'm used to.

Can anyone recommend a travel sickness product that I can get in the UK and should I take it before or during (or both) the flight? And what are the side effects?

Thanks for any help.

Edited at 04:46 PM.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

My son uses Stugeron and it works for him. It contains an antihistamine so can cause some drowsiness. My son takes one tablet about an hour before he travels, and then half a tablet about 8 hours later if needed.

There is also Kwells. This is an effective motion sickness prevention. We have never used this product, but I work in a pharmacy and it is a very popular product. It is really down to personal preference
Old 2 Jun 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
MonkeyNut
Excited about Disney

I also use sturgeon and sea bands seem to take the edge off.

Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando 2013, 2015 and 2017
Wilderness Lodge/Rosen Inn @pointe 2018
Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge 2019 and 2022
Mums 70th surprise trip 2023
MonkeyNut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

I used Stugeron for years but then I was recommended Dramamine which I buy when we're in the US. I even managed a whale watching trip last year which previously I wouldn't have been able to do.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I'll try the Stugeron at home first to see if I get too drowsy. Luckily I won't be driving at either end but I do need to be awake enough to deal with the immigration officer as DH is hard of hearing and I usually end up answering all the questions.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

Another vote for stugeron the 2 tablets before the flight lasts me the whole flight to Orlando
Nice little snooze no side effects once I’m off the plane
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

I tried some Boots cinnarizine based tablets today. It's the same active ingredient as Stugeron.

30 mins after taking I was feeling rather woozy and after 60 mins had to go to bed where I slept solidly for 2 hours. It's now 2 hours after I woke up (so 5 hours since I took the tablets) and I still feel groggy - not a nice feeling at all.

Anybody use anything else without this effect?
Old 6 Jul 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Libby View Post
I tried some Boots cinnarizine based tablets today. It's the same active ingredient as Stugeron.

30 mins after taking I was feeling rather woozy and after 60 mins had to go to bed where I slept solidly for 2 hours. It's now 2 hours after I woke up (so 5 hours since I took the tablets) and I still feel groggy - not a nice feeling at all.

Anybody use anything else without this effect?
Oh dear DD takes them and has no problems, maybe the pharmacist can help?
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Thanks, I'll try and talk to the pharmacist tomorrow.
Old 7 Jul 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Niki Mouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We recently did our first Disney Cruise. Was really worried about sickness (myself and eldest DS are not the best!).

Got Dramamine 24 hour non drowsy and we were both absolutely fine and no drowsiness at all (took them before bed every night).

Can’t get them here though, so if anyone you know is going to the US before you, I would recommend
Niki Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List