Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 3 Jun 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Marella Cruises - what do I need to know?

I'm dipping my toes into a whole new section of The Dibb as I've just booked a cruise for August 2019

I've always fancied cruising as I like to explore different places but the price of tips, drinks and shore excursions has put me off. After doing some research on different companies and looking at itineraries I've booked a 7 night all inclusive cruise from Naples, upgraded drinks package and balcony cabin.

So... what do I need to know about cruising and does anyone have any top tips for Marella in particular?

I've joined a FB group for the ship we're on (Explorer 2). Is there anywhere I can find information about on board activities or what themed nights are on?

Is it the done thing to book shore excursions for every port day? We have 5 port days and this doesn't give us much time to relax on board.

Are there any particular companies to book shore excursions from? I can book direct but I've read that you can DIY cheaper.

Thanks

Edited at 10:31 AM. Reason: adding another question
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Hollea12
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Well Done on booking your first cruise. Explorer 2 looks amazing. We were on discovery 1 last year and couldn't fault the cruise, we have booked Explorer 2 for the Caribbean later this year . The cruise is all inclusive as you say and nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The excursions on Marella are quite reasonable although some ports can be explored on your own. We did the Cinque de Terre on our own last year which was quite easy. Some of the Italian ports are better with an organised tour like Florence, Rome and Capri. Which ports are you docking?
Hollea12 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Thank you Hollea12. I woke up in the night having a slight panic as this sort of holiday is out of my comfort zone. I hope I take the right clothes!

We're stopping at Palamos (Spain), Toulon, Livorno, Civitavecchia and Olbia.

I'd like to go on an organised trip to Rome, Florence and Pisa. We've been to Barcelona so not too bothered with an organised trip from Palamos.

If we don't go on an organised excursion is it still worth going for a walk around the port for a few hours? Is there usually a town around the port area?
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Our first cruise was a Med one too (so far our only one, but that is purely because of budget).

We left from Barcelona but Naples was our first port. We used a HOHO bus company at the port terminal to take us to Herculaneum where we had a great morning. Well worth a look. We would have liked to explore Sorrento but had to choose one! In the end there was torrential rain all day so we made the right choice.

We skipped Rome and stayed on the ship. I would love to go to Rome but it is over 2 hours each way on the coach, for about 6 hours in Rome in the hottest part of the day. We decided we would spend a few days in Rome another year, off season when it is cooler and we can prebook lots of early morning tours!

However, I gather it is quick and easy to get the train into Rome from Civitavecchia. Lots of guides to this online. We seriously considered doing this rather than a coach excursion.

In Livorno we went on an organised half day excursion to Pisa. Nice for a couple of hours. Don’t know if there is much to see in Livorno itself.

We didn’t want to do Florence - again, I want to go another time and spend maybe a weekend there. Too much I want to see!

Many people on our ship did both in one day, but it was a very long and tiring day. They were mostly Americans taking their chance to ‘do’ Europe so it was their best chance.

Edited at 12:38 PM.
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Our first cruise was a Med one too (so far our only one, but that is purely because of budget).

We left from Barcelona but Naples was our first port. We used a HOHO bus company at the port terminal to take us to Herculaneum where we had a great morning. Well worth a look. We would have liked to explore Sorrento but had to choose one! In the end there was torrential rain all day so we made the right choice.

We skipped Rome and stayed on the ship. I would love to go to Rome but it is over 2 hours each way on the coach, for about 6 hours in Rome in the hottest part of the day. We decided we would spend a few days in Rome another year, off season when it is cooler and we can prebook lots of early morning tours!

However, I gather it is quick and easy to get the train into Rome from Civitavecchia. Lots of guides to this online. We seriously considered doing this rather than a coach excursion.

In Livorno we went on an organised half day excursion to Pisa. Nice for a couple of hours. Don’t know if there is much to see in Livorno itself.

We didn’t want to do Florence - again, I want to go another time and spend maybe a weekend there. Too much I want to see!

Many people on our ship did both in one day, but it was a very long and tiring day. They were mostly Americans taking their chance to ‘do’ Europe so it was their best chance.
Thank you for the information. I really wanted to go to Rome, Florence and Pisa. I doubt we'll go to Italy again, unless we fall in love with it, as it's so expensive. I have booked an organised tour of Rome and an organised trip of Florence and Pisa. I think we'll just get off the ship and look around the other ports for a few hours.

I was looking at the excursion list and thinking if we go out on full day tours every day we'll only be on the ship to shower and sleep! I have been looking at cocktail lists on a FB page and it looks like I need plenty of time to work my way through those
Old 4 Jun 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Was going to say a tour in Rome, and do your own in Pisa and Florence (and I see thats what you have decided!) All beautiful places. Enjoy your cruise x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jsl0801
Very Serious Dibber

We were on Discovery 2 last August around Greece and absolutely loved it. We are going back on it again in 4 weeks Portugal & Spain and have booked a week on Explorer 2 (adults only) in Carribean in November. Looking forward to both very much just hope it is as good as last year.

Enjoy your cruise x
Old 4 Jun 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Was going to say a tour in Rome, and do your own in Pisa and Florence (and I see thats what you have decided!) All beautiful places. Enjoy your cruise x
Thank you. Coincidentally, I’ve just read If You Could Go Anywhere by Paige Toon and most is set in Rome and Florence, it sounds beautiful.
Old 4 Jun 19, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jsl0801 View Post
We were on Discovery 2 last August around Greece and absolutely loved it. We are going back on it again in 4 weeks Portugal & Spain and have booked a week on Explorer 2 (adults only) in Carribean in November. Looking forward to both very much just hope it is as good as last year.

Enjoy your cruise x
Thank you. Hope you enjoy yours too.

Silly question (sorry, first time cruising) but is tea, coffee and milk provided in the cabin? I’m pretty sure there are tea and coffee making facilities so I’ll pack some tea and milk sticks if they aren’t provided.