Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Jun 19, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
nyck
Getting Excited

nyck's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Which Fullsize car to pick?

Im actually hiring from Boston

But assuming a have a choice of Fullsize cars to pick from
Whats the better choices

Kia Optima
Ford Fusion
Chevy Malibu
Or another?

I would like a few bells and whistles ,ie reverse camera

thanks
nyck is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Our last four full size cars from Alamo MCO have been Hyundai Sonata, Nissan Altima, Chevy Malibu and Ford Fusion. They all had reversing cameras but I can't say that any of them jumped out as being bad. They all fulfilled our expectations. But as two "mature" travellers we only look for reasonable space and comfort.

Obviously it's pot luck as to what will be in the garages at any time at MCO because it's a constant turnover. Not sure what Boston's like in that respect. A few years since we hired at BOS. It was certainly offsite maybe with Dollar - Toyota Corolla I think with a California plate.

Mick
Old 15 Jun 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

Our car last Oct was a Kia Optima, had reversing camera with turn projection lines , parking sensors front and rear, overtaking warning lights in the wing mirrors, lane assist on the speedo dial, and 2 usb ports but no working sat nav, and a touch screen radio..As mick just said we are also of "Mature Age" but must admit we done over 1500 miles in it, comfortable and reasonable mpg, and it went "quite well" ! hope this helps..

Edited at 08:20 PM.
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mercator
Proud to wear my Ears

Personally my 'goto' car would be the Nissan Altima. The base spec has Android Auto and remote start, which are two things I'm looking for, as well as other goodies like reversing camera. Most of the other cars have them too, but not in the base spec.

Actually, that's not true; my goto car would be the Dodge Charger (which is also very well equipped) but is apparently now as rare as hens teeth with Alamo.

Edited at 10:32 PM.
Mercator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I’m here just now and have a Malibu it was brand new when I picked it up
Reversing cameras sat Nav touch screen radio
DH hates it seat doesn’t go Far enough back and for him a really bad blind spot
Me all I’ll say it goes but it’s not a smooth ride boot is big though
And Gds car seat was easy to fit fule consumption isn’t to bad
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
When I "deserted" Alamo briefly in Nov 2017 as my head was turned by a BA fly-drive offer that I couldn't refuse we had a Mazda 6 from Avis at MCO. Pre-allocated of course but that had blind spot warnings both audible and lights in the overtaking mirrors. I wondered what was happening as I tootled down the 417 on our departure.

Our Ford Fusion in April also had lane control and other gizmos including this on the driver's door pillar as you unlocked.

I was impressed until DIBB experts told me that Ford have had that for 500 years in the UK.

I was also impressed with the gear shift having never seen one like it after hiring 35 times over there. People were quick to say Jag have also had them for decades.

Mick
Old 16 Jun 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Mobile

After having an Impala a few times last year's Malibu was a let down.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggers friend
Imagineer

I've opted for the Nissan Altima in the last 3 or 4 visits as it is well speced, comfortable, responsive and handles quite well. It also does a reasonable mpg which when doing a high number of miles is beneficial.
1991/92/95HI MGE;97Cali&Disneyland;98St Petes&Kiss;00C'water&Dixie Landings;02S'hern Dunes;05Coasts,Keys,Magic;06Indian Ridge;07Ind Ridge;08Sanibel&Ind Ridge;09Sarasota&Ind Ridge;10Sanibel&Ind Ridge;11Ind Ridge;12Sanibel&WestHaven;13W.Haven;14Sanibel&W.Ha ven;15Sanibel&W.Haven;15W.Haven;16Panhandle&Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel&Loma Vista;18 Gulf Coast/StAg/W.Haven;19 Sanibel/Venice Bch/W.Haven
tiggers friend is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Last year we had a Ford Fusion which was great, no issues at all. It had a reverse camera on it too x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bovril
Apprentice Imagineer

I agree with Mick if you are going for full size there isn't much between them for spec, probably have to move up a group for anything that stands out, our last couple of trips we have taken a Toyota Camry which is nice drive but prior to that the choice was what colour Sonata do you want