Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 3 Jul 19, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
While the expedition facelift on the outside for the 2019 model looks better, as you say, inside they are light years behind the trim level of the EU fords
Sadly not just the interior. Engine, ride, brakes are all rubbish.
TBH, I have never had a US rental car that in my view is anything other than OK. Includes cameros, mustangs and many many others. I guess it depends on what you are use to. But as I say, it will be fine for a few weeks and is plenty of space for fur of us.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ayeready
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
TBH, I have never had a US rental car that in my view is anything other than OK. Includes cameros, mustangs and many many others. I guess it depends on what you are use to. But as I say, it will be fine for a few weeks and is plenty of space for fur of us.
They're all about show. Interiors are terrible.
We've got an Expedition Max at the moment and the gear box is terrible.
It sounds amazing from inside but when you open the door and rev it, it sounds like a bag of spanners. Dynamic acoustics I think it's called. The sound of the V8 is fake and comes through the speakers.

I don't mind it though. I know what I'm getting when I book it and I just like pottering about in a barge for a few weeks.

Sports mode isn't too bad when you put the foot down.
ayeready is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 19, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We must have been lucky with the ones we had then. Great ride, responsive steering and best of all the cool the car before you get in button on the keys. Had a Nissan Armada last time and it is easily the worst car I have ever driven. Ride like a galleon in full sail, gutless engine and a 70's style interior.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I know what you mean, even the tahoe / suburbans are naff inside with the NA engine and braking power off a focus.

The only car i have been impressed with was the Charger with the hemi block in it, was fast in a straight line and sounded nice.
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
goldendelicious
Proud to wear my Ears

Well after reading all the above I think we did well getting the QX80 lovely car .
I suppose we'd just hoped for something American and a choice !
It'll be back to a standard SUV next trip we only upgraded as the reports from the Std line were poor choice :-))))
goldendelicious is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
I know what you mean, even the tahoe / suburbans are naff inside with the NA engine and braking power off a focus.

The only car i have been impressed with was the Charger with the hemi block in it, was fast in a straight line and sounded nice.
TBH, in my view all US cars seem to be junk. We did have a charger a couple of times before - though not the V8. They were poor as well. Maybe a V8 would be different.

The seem to build cars that would have been OK in the 70s. We were out in the Expedition today on a concrete part of the freeway. Went over the bumps like an old like axled car on cart springs. I assume (though haven't looked) that it actaualy has independent suspension - just a very bad set up.
The Expedition is a $60+ car and i would have expected MUCH better.
Give me my wife's BMW every time.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 99plums View Post
Looks great, can you bring it back for the 18th please?!
Yep, and I can pop in around an hour before you and hopefully pick it up.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Avioman
A Guest at All-Stars

Mobile

I arrived at Mia international Alamo car rental today at 10 am to collect my full-size suv for our 21night i had a look at the full size row only to find the line full of Nissan Armadas not 1 Ford or Chevy in sight.
I went to the desk to ask if they had any Fords outback only to be told it’s only what you see. I had a look in xl line this had loads of Ford Expedition max and Tahoe xl
So asked if I could have one of those only to be told that it was an upgrade of $50 a day/$1000 total I did a fair bit of haggling and got this down to $200. Asked if I could go and have a look at one, when I did parked next to it was a Lincoln Navigator in black a very nice truck! So off to the counter I go and asked with a smile and a wink could I have that for the same price No was the answer it would be $50 per day so off we went again! Finally agreed at $300 total extra. I am kinda happy with this as it’s the price that I had originally booked a full-size back in March at aprox £1000 so moral of the story is if you haggle and use a bit of charm the price is always negotiable.
Sorry for the rant I will post photos when I get chance if it ever stops raining!🇺🇸
Avioman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ayeready View Post
They're all about show. Interiors are terrible.
We've got an Expedition Max at the moment and the gear box is terrible.
It sounds amazing from inside but when you open the door and rev it, it sounds like a bag of spanners. Dynamic acoustics I think it's called. The sound of the V8 is fake and comes through the speakers.

I don't mind it though. I know what I'm getting when I book it and I just like pottering about in a barge for a few weeks.

Sports mode isn't too bad when you put the foot down.
The gear box is co developed with GM so is actually the same as in the Tahoe/Suburban.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Patnut
Getting to know the DIBB

Originally Posted by Avioman View Post
I arrived at Mia international Alamo car rental today at 10 am to collect my full-size suv for our 21night i had a look at the full size row only to find the line full of Nissan Armadas not 1 Ford or Chevy in sight.
I went to the desk to ask if they had any Fords outback only to be told it’s only what you see. I had a look in xl line this had loads of Ford Expedition max and Tahoe xl
So asked if I could have one of those only to be told that it was an upgrade of $50 a day/$1000 total I did a fair bit of haggling and got this down to $200. Asked if I could go and have a look at one, when I did parked next to it was a Lincoln Navigator in black a very nice truck! So off to the counter I go and asked with a smile and a wink could I have that for the same price No was the answer it would be $50 per day so off we went again! Finally agreed at $300 total extra. I am kinda happy with this as it’s the price that I had originally booked a full-size back in March at aprox £1000 so moral of the story is if you haggle and use a bit of charm the price is always negotiable.
Sorry for the rant I will post photos when I get chance if it ever stops raining!🇺🇸
Hi Avioman thanks for the input. I have a chevy subur or equivalent booked for 8 days from MCO so guess I will be offered a Ford Expedition max or Chevy Subur.

I would really like the Lincoln Navigator. What would you recommend as being a reasonable upgrade price for 8 days? You managed to get it to around $5 a day but I'm staying less days so they might not be as accommodating to me.

Any haggling tips?

Thanks P
Patnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List